YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

48 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

That's an interesting variant, I honestly don't remember seeing that one out in the wild, I'll have get the ROMs loaded in to take a look. Do you pay 30p per game or something?

NOTE TO SELF - This is the point at which I should just load the ROMs into the layout and find out for myself :D

Yep.  30p a game, but you know what - you're gonna want to buy the next turn when offered...

You have enough here for a new video series...

Anatomy of the Crystal Maze
A journey into each version in detail with game by game and split screen comparisons in 4K

...you have so much to look at here, it could be part of a 20 week series !

Go on, you know you want to...

:mess_334:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wizard said:

PC trackballs don't have any inertia like the real one, so it's never going to act the same way.

If anyone has a spare real trackball from these games, I'd be interested in buying it to have a play.

Obviously the mouse stuff is just a hack, as it doesn't have variable speed etc

You just can't emulate the Track Ball using PC based ones as you don't have access to the raw data from it, as windows is turning it into a virtual mouse so it queues up the data

So something like what was on the arcade Marble Madness?

Thanks,

NQ.

Similar I suspect, not sure if it's the same one though.

The MPU4 polls the state of the trackball optos in an interrupt routine and keeps track of the movement itself, then sends the data to the Video Board over the hi speed serial link.

There is no way to access this raw data on a PC that I can find. You would need a trackball that connected to the parallel port to even get near the original.

It's really a case of being lucky you can play the games at all tbh

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 2

No draggable reels because of that flourescent lamp overlay on the reels, it seems to be larger than it needs to be here. I think you can drag them if you click near the bottom.

I will fix it so you can drag through something on top of the reels that is not fully opaque.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 1

Sort of going off topic here, but, I was thinking of a word today, and I thought was it a real word, or did I just sort of dream it.

Thought about again and again - then I thought, I wonder if I'd read it in an email.

Searched all emails going back 18 years, and there it was, you said it, and the phrase was...

"spaffed in me pants".

For those that don't understand it, it means "I say old chap, that's rather good".

That's what we're getting at the moment, these great videos, emulator releases, new resources, layouts appearing.  It's all rather lovely at the moment.

@Wizard, you owe me 735 pants I've ruined since November 2016..........

NQ.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

No draggable reels because of that flourescent lamp overlay on the reels, it seems to be larger than it needs to be here. I think you can drag them if you click near the bottom.

I will fix it so you can drag through something on top of the reels that is not fully opaque.

There are a few other layouts that will benefit from that feature, so a nice to have addition.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a setting for how many reels can be dragged down and up. Many a time you see players peering up the glass where they can only see 1 or 2 reel symbols. I think it would be good to emulate that experience of playing a real machine. Or possibly like animated clickable buttons, I'm the only one who thinks it is lol.

Edited by wearecity

11 hours ago, wearecity said:

Or possibly like animated clickable buttons, I'm the only one who thinks it is lol.

I also like the idea of animated buttons, I know they were added in previous versions but they just distorted the existing bmp. If an option was given for a custom bmp in one of the on lamps so it didn't activate when the lamp came on but only when pressed.

I dabbled with this on Subbuteo, video attached to show effect. I won't release with this as it's a bit odd as it looks like button depressed when lamp flashes but it shows what it could potentially look like.

What do you reckon @Wizard, possible?

anibutt.mp4

Edited by Pook
  • Like 1

DX Banner.png

2 hours ago, Pook said:

What do you reckon @Wizard, possible?

It's possible but you'd need to do additional bitmaps for off down, on down and if it's split all the combinations ie off off, on off, off on and on on

It's a bit of work and tbh I'm not sure that many designers would bother ( apart from you obviously ).

It's like the Impact Super Bright lamps, spent a day coding it and not a single person has even commented on it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wizard said:

It's possible but you'd need to do additional bitmaps for off down, on down and if it's split all the combinations ie off off, on off, off on and on on

It's a bit of work and tbh I'm not sure that many designers would bother ( apart from you obviously ).

It's like the Impact Super Bright lamps, spent a day coding it and not a single person has even commented on it.

I had a look on the Big Banker layout but couldn't understand how the extra bright lamp is added, couldn't find the component, is it automatic?  I saw the effect the bitmap is overexposed.  I did try a custom bitmap on the BIG BANKER letters but it didn't seem to work.

J

Yes it's automatic It adds a white mask of RGB 0xa0 0xa0 0xa0 to the opaque pixels in the OnImage.

I did it that way so that older layouts would work without any modifications, although some need the OnImage masked correctly.

Of course it could be made configurable as to what it actually adds but without any feedback it will do for now.

Edited by Wizard

How about this...  having a seperate entry in the lamp properties to include a space for a bright lamp if required, that way you can choose to add one or leave it out completely.   Be nice to see some of these in a layout.     I mean if the lamp is supported it automatically adds the space for a bright bitmap lamp image in the lamp properties.

J

extrabright.png

extrabrightmock.png

Some M1ab nostalgia in the form of Eastenders.

Timecodes below for those who don't wish to listen to the Jackanory section.

00:00 - 05:55 = Intro
05:55 - 19:34 = Jackanory with Degsy Degworth
19:34 - 42:58 = Machine commentary and gameplay

• Like 6

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Enjoyed this video.

Played in that arcade, when I used to go up and watch City play. Had a couple of bad losses and sort of ruined the day/weekend, even if City won.

The preamble story was a good listen, I'm sure many of us can definitely related to it. A few nights out ruined before they started or ended early due to fruity playing beforehand.

As for the machine, I remember once me and a girl I used to work with, were playing machines in an arcade in Reading. Eastenders was behind us and both of us jumped, when suddenly Pat Butcher said "Got the time darling", which is one of the voices the machine says at random when the attract mode had been running for a while.

• Like 1

I look back with fond memories of these, not a machine I would target even if full in £'s, but armed with a large stash of tokens these Maygay machines were ideal to grab a few cash wins.  If you caught it at the right time you may get the elusive £30+ streak.   I used to love this about playing back in the day, a few surprise streaks could set you up and there was so much choice back in the day.   

Thanks for the video, I really enjoy the commentary on these old school machine videos, really takes me back.   Times...  :)

J

• Like 2

Cheers guys :) These machines really are timeless, genuinely fun and entertaining to play even 25 years after their original run in the arcades and pubs.

Glad the little Jackanory section appears to have been well received (the comments on the video have been positive too), wasn't entirely sure whether or not to add that in.

The follow-on Coronation Street video is already recorded so should be edited together and uploaded before the end of the weekend.

wearecity mentioned Noel's House Party in his YouTube comment which is another fantastic machine from this era, I might do something on that as well. (Somehow I managed to forget about it when recording these two, for shame! :o )

• Like 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

Cheers guys :) These machines really are timeless, genuinely fun and entertaining to play even 25 years after their original run in the arcades and pubs.

Glad the little Jackanory section appears to have been well received (the comments on the video have been positive too), wasn't entirely sure whether or not to add that in.

The follow-on Coronation Street video is already recorded so should be edited together and uploaded before the end of the weekend.

wearecity mentioned Noel's House Party in his YouTube comment which is another fantastic machine from this era, I might do something on that as well. (Somehow I managed to forget about it when recording these two, for shame! :o )

TBH, you could probably do a series on the whole lot, all from the best era of Maygay IMO, by quite some way.

• Like 1

Loving these videos, mate. :)

Coronation Street was one of my all-time favourite Maygay's I have to say.  Closely followed by That's Life, and Monopoly.  I never saw an Eastenders where I lived, so didn't build-up a fondness for that particular machine, but I can understand the love for it.

Here's a picture of That's Life to get the retro feels going.  Picture cam from riche100 originally. :)

That's_Life.png

Edited by Ploggy
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Ploggy said:

Loving these videos, mate. :)

Coronation Street was one of my all-time favourite Maygay's I have to say.  Closely followed by That's Life, and Monopoly.  I never saw an Eastenders where I lived, so didn't build-up a fondness for that particular machine, but I can understand the love for it.

Here's a picture of That's Life to get the retro feels going.  Picture cam from riche100 originally. :)

Cheers Ploggy :) The videos are my way of trying to create something for the scene since I can't code, I have zero artistic skills and my fumbling around with the emulator's tools could be eclipsed by a moderately trained guinea pig. As long as a few folks are happy to watch them, I'm happy to make them. (Like Reg said in his Zero Poster thread, it's not about the numbers, so I'm not fussed about getting MEGA VIEWS or MEGA SUBSCRIBER NUMBERS, just the knowledge that folks are enjoying them, particularly within FME.)

There seems to be a lot of love for this generation of Maygays so thinking about it some sort of 'compendium' video where I spend a few minutes on each seems like it would work.

Coronation Street will get a full video as that's already done, but I'm not sure each individual machine could carry a 30-40 minute video, so maybe a two-parter with 5-10 minutes on each machine. I'll go through my FME folders and pull out a list of likely candidates.

• Like 3