YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

5 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Yes that works Mort :) 

Many thanks for sticking with it, the video is now back on!

What's going on with the different break point address though?

It will be great to see a video of this. I would like to have found more locations but it's not always about poking a location, for example if I wanted to alter the plane bonus area to select "empty gun" you would have to get a particular routine to run rather than just changing a value in memory.

I am not sure what is going on with the break point address. The way I found it was when it halts on my PC, even though I have set it as 401D6F it actually shows that it broke at 401D6C. It maybe to do with speed of detection of the write taking place (or that it writes to a range of addresses simultaneously)

image.png.c17dd9bc520a523c9fcfd3ee84098f27.png

Edited by Mort
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mort said:

It will be great to see a video of this. I would like to have found more locations but it's not always about poking a location, for example if I wanted to alter the plane bonus area to select "empty gun" you would have to get a particular routine to run rather than just changing a value in memory.

I am not sure what is going on with the break point address. The way I found it was when it halts on my PC, even though I have set it as 401D6F it actually shows that it broke at 401D6C. It maybe to do with speed of detection of the write taking place. 

image.png.c17dd9bc520a523c9fcfd3ee84098f27.png

So what you are saying is there are certain codings to be able to make the machine play exactly the way you want to play it. Without changing the percentage can the frequency of certain features be changed, i.e. It will/can give Win Series after a certain amount goes in like every £2000 In for example?

Another RAM location of interest: 4007f1

This is where the game records the active location on the board. 

It doesn't need a write breakpoint, instead you can write to it at any time, and the next number reel value will move the board on relative from the value set at 4007f1.

Positions run from 00 to 27 (hex). If you poke in 27 or higher then it will just give Ark of the Covenant immediately.

If you then combine this with poking the number reel value (401d6f) to 0 (with the write breakpoint set on either 401d6f or 401d6c) then you can move to whichever square you want on the board (forwards or backwards) at anytime, but remember the values are in hex, so 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10 etc.

In summary these are the RAM locations I found:

401d6f   Value of number reel * use a write breakpoint on feature board. (breakpoint may need to set as 401d6c) (valid values: 01 to 0f)
4002df   Amount of nudges remaining when awarded them in normal reel play (valid values01 to 0f) (just repeat writing values if you need more as you use them)
4007f1   Current position on feature board (valid values: 00 to 27)

Note: If anyone can work out how to clear the bullets from the gun, or what location stores the amount of them that would be really useful. I still can't find them and have given up on it.

Appreciate some will think wtf is this, why bother, but it's just about being inquisitive and a challenge to control a game. I appreciate this could not have been done in real life and is simply a curiosity available to us when using the emulator and nothing more. Think of it like cheats in MAME or infinite lives pokes from the 8-bit days etc.

Edited by Mort
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

im not sure if youre trying to get the "win series" under any circumstance (ie..using the debugger) if so, here is the method the get it in "demo" mode, for those who may not already know..

1. load layout and tick the "s door" check box.

2. when machine has initalised, press and HOLD DOWN the "test" check box until you hear the "ching ching" and you will have 10 Demo credits (which are infinate btw..)

3. hold down the "cancel" button and use holds, 1,2 and 3 to nudge in x3 hats for the feature. hold them and press start..

4. once feature has started, press "cancel" to step up the awards on the "staff of ra" feature stack, to "win series"

5. press the "exchange for feature" button to move the hi/lo reel to the next number you desire to move along the trail, and press start to move...(10 and 11 again will get you to staff of ra)

6. collect win series.

:)

Edited by shaun2097
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1

That's great info cheers for posting it Shaun. I didn't know you could control the staff of ra in test.

The idea was first of all to see if Win Series was even a supported feature in the normal game (i.e. does it even work as a feature) which we assumed it would.

Also it proved to be a good example of how the debugger in MFME can control various elements of a game if you can find various locations in RAM etc.

Whilst all of this is virtual and emulated of course it feels a bit more special to control the game within it's normal 'payout' mode.

• Like 2

Cheers folks all very interesting and more material for the video.

TBH I'd already been thinking about using demo mode but as we all know that's a mode deliberately designed to allow you to get the machine to do whatever you want and is not normal play, the nice thing about poking in the values directly is the machine is awarding Win Series in normal play (it doesn't know it's being poked) so we know that the feature can actually be awarded in normal play (sort of!......) and is supported in the code.

• Thanks 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Cheers Choppers. Really great to see this in a video and to see that you completely understand what I did. Again, it's completely useless as an example of a real world scenario but is a way of using the tools available to us within MFME to prove something, nothing more. Thanks for taking the time to talk about it, was great to see.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, slasher said:

I did a similar thing on the Reflex gaming app some time ago using a game hack memory editor. I'd fire up flaming 40k and set the cashpot to the max amount so every board meant jackpot. Do this a few times and have loads of credits.

I use to play that too.

12 hours ago, slasher said:

I did a similar thing on the Reflex gaming app some time ago using a game hack memory editor. I'd fire up flaming 40k and set the cashpot to the max amount so every board meant jackpot. Do this a few times and have loads of credits.

Interesting. There were a few games on the app that were profitable if forced from a fresh install. So I was doing that to build credits, then uninstalling and reinstalling the app. This would allow you to keep your balance, but reset the RAM of the machines back to default. Rinse and repeat to have infinite credits. But your method sounds more elegant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dougsta said:

Interesting. There were a few games on the app that were profitable if forced from a fresh install. So I was doing that to build credits, then uninstalling and reinstalling the app. This would allow you to keep your balance, but reset the RAM of the machines back to default. Rinse and repeat to have infinite credits. But your method sounds more elegant.

Paymaker from a reset, £210 MS pretty often.  :)

NQ.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, today marks the one week mark of us learning of Chris's passing.

I already had this video finished and ready to go (it'd actually nearly finished uploading, and would have been published within an hour or two last Sunday, but then I saw 'The Saddest Day' thread that Reg had started).

As such please note that this video was made before I knew Chris had passed, I've put a short intro onto the front of the video as an explanation, but other than that it is the original video.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Thank you for the video always enjoyable. Dont ever think that you do a little with the community with your videos Degsy !!!! You have brought a lot of new member's to Desert Island to help keep the scene alive.

So please dont ever think like that mate. And its members like yourself and Reg and FML designers and every member needed more then ever to continue......The Legacy!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, evo1 said:

Thank you for the video always enjoyable. Dont ever think that you do a little with the community with your videos Degsy !!!! You have brought a lot of new member's to Desert Island to help keep the scene alive.

So please dont ever think like that mate. And its members like yourself and Reg and FML designers and every member needed more then ever to continue......The Legacy!

Couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 14:20, Ploggy said:

No £3 version of Pink Panther done.  Got a small picture of one here.  I'll check the roms we've got and see if the £3 roms are available.

Pink Panther (Red).JPG

I know this was some time ago and you know I can't resist the urge to stalk this thread but this is what I was looking for some time ago and even enquired about them as remember "doing" these as well as Monopoly in the same cab back in the late 90's, 10p play with a switchable cash/token JP. Did these particular ones ever turn up with the roms that were in it?

This has been requested quite a few times via comments on YouTube and PMs here and elsewhere, and I'm nothing if not amenable to finally getting around to doing something after months of prevarication and eventually feeling slightly guilty that I haven't done it yet.

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 2