YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

On 29/01/2021 at 17:33, Chopaholic said:

A return of the Web Hovel.....

Alastair is a very clever guy, the fact he managed to make this code work through so many jackpots/stakes says it all really. Even though I'm not a fan of their later games, you have to respect everyone behind hitting the exact balance needed for machines to do well for so long, especially when you take into account the competition from all other manufacturers or companies.

Bank job was a Betcom but was badged QPS.

Betcom eventually parted ways with QPS and went on their own, selling games to the likes of Blueprint and G2. Blueprint was owned by gauselmann and eventually the same people bought betcom out. Betcom then stopped doing games for G2 and released some under blueprint using blueprints art work and some under their own Betcom badge.

The actual industry is very small on the fruit machine side of things, people generally know one another and stuff is pinched based on what does well etc. In the older times, this was almost unheard of apparently 

Just to add, a lot of Betcom products were whats known as door kits. You'd buy the top door which would be the glasses, the reel bands and the program, perhaps the security chip as well. Strip down an old game and put this new stuff in an old cabinet. In order for this to work well, games had to work on various different techs. Blueprint used to use pluto6 and scorpion 5/6 which could explain why they had the 70 quid version on epoch.

it's surprising how it managed without issue to run it. Look at quids in America on 70 vs the 100 upgrade, not sure if it's been done yet but the 100 upgrade lags to absolute fuck whereas the 70 one is absolutely fine lol

Edited by slasher
  • Like 4

This is the sort of cool stuff it'd be nice to know before I make a video :) 

I'm always super-interested in information like this, but much of the history of UK AWPs is so secretive and opaque it's really hard to know where the truth is, and the history of compensated machines is, shall we say, not good.

(And truth be told, at least the Betcom model did produce 'unfuckable' machines, so I do give them credit for that.)

Always happy to revisit stuff like this in follow-on videos to get it right.

• Like 4

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Just watched the Omega Video, great game to play, as were all the Maygays at the time, I live in Blackpool and ye you are correct, the Golden Mile place was originally called Mr B's then changed its name to Mr T's for a reason I still dont know today, also where the new building is being built, that was the Palace nightclub building, there used to be be Purple Penny arcade at the base but that was many moons ago, where the arcade was, a gift shop, and B & Ms behind, probably not an arcade for, say 15 years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@Chopaholic 

Any chance you can create a video to show how to reverse the third hold on reels please? I've never been able to get it to work.

I've heard pessimist talk about it a few times but never actually seen him show it on a video.

PS - I really love you background stories of "back in the day when I were a lad" :P Definitely adds more flavour to the videos.

Edited by tagteam3283
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tagteam3283 said:

@Chopaholic 

Any chance you can create a video to show how to reverse the third hold on reels please? I've never been able to get it to work.

I've heard pessimist talk about it a few times but never actually seen him show it on a video.

PS - I really love you background stories of "back in the day when I were a lad" :P Definitely adds more flavour to the videos.

I've not watched the video yet, but I assume it's this trick. If you are given a 3rd hold, you can change what you are holding to a different matching pair.

The easiest example works on Spyker the Biker. If you get 3rd hold on the overlaid pig symbols, but there is at the same time 2 matching fruit, you can switch to the 2 matching fruit and it will spin the 3rd fruit in. There are setups for £4 and £6 on Spyker.

With many of the JPMs of the time, this same trick worked. In fact, it worked when you got 3rd hold on 2 non-matching reels! You just switched to the matching pair for the 3rd hold and in it came. It worked on Impulse and Red Alert, until they pretty much removed it in the lackluster V5 chip.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dougsta said:

I've not watched the video yet, but I assume it's this trick. If you are given a 3rd hold, you can change what you are holding to a different matching pair.

The easiest example works on Spyker the Biker. If you get 3rd hold on the overlaid pig symbols, but there is at the same time 2 matching fruit, you can switch to the 2 matching fruit and it will spin the 3rd fruit in. There are setups for £4 and £6 on Spyker.

With many of the JPMs of the time, this same trick worked. In fact, it worked when you got 3rd hold on 2 non-matching reels! You just switched to the matching pair for the 3rd hold and in it came. It worked on Impulse and Red Alert, until they pretty much removed it in the lackluster V5 chip.

ah that might explain why im not getting it to work - i thought it was a standard trick on all machines

• Like 1

On 11/03/2021 at 15:52, Chopaholic said:

Sparking shenanigans from the cross-channel ferries.....

Is it possible the guy just found machines with flat batteries.  Though I know a few AWPs that can be reset for a factory reset.  The ones I know work on the emulator.

BWB Monte Carlo or Bust, BWB/Barcrest Sunset Boulevard.  Timing is critical and involves resetting machine on certain wins for it to work.

J

Edited by A:E
  • Like 1

Ok there's a bit more to the holds thing than just that. I am sure I have demonstrated it somewhere before, I'll try and find it and link it. OK so it'd work on JPM machines and JPM type programmed machines like ACE for kung fu etc.

OK so basically any time you get holds you want to hold two reels, even if you have three different symbols. Then if it holds a second time you still want to hold two reels, again even if all symbols are different.. You can here change which two reels you hold. For example if you did have two symbols the same on the second hold you could hold them and if it 3 held you could hold them and it'd match.

Now on the third hold perhaps you didn't manage to have two symbols the same on the second hold and you are still left with three different symbols. What you can do is hold reel 1 and reel 2 and reel 3 will match reel 2. Hold reel 1 and reel 3 and reel 2 will match reel 3. Hold reel 2 and reel 3 and reel 1 will match reel 3.

Now it hold for the FOURTH time you can then hold the pair you have and it'll match for a three of a kind win. Sounds a bit convoluted I know. OK if you watch at this point I sort of explain it and you get an example but it doesn't 4 hold.......

• Like 2

Also whilst I'm spamming my own videos haha, my latest tells the tale of how you used to be able to use the hulk fruit machine on cryptologic to bypass the wagering requirements for slot bonuses and make some nice cash and how this also led to a developer being used and paying out a quarter of a million.....

You don't have to play perfect on many machines to make money. Perfect play may make you a bit more money but making money is good too. Problem can be some emptiers or methods where less than perfect play might mean you aren't able to do it properly. Say playing a moody wild west or force 10 if you don't completely know how to get the super barcode from let em spins etc you might have trouble emptying it.

As already mentioned in the comments super single double treble barcode you just take 213 for golden hold as it steps up and down of course and just take the mystery. If you were leathered you could still miss super roman reels haha (or if you are sober too)

• Like 2

Yes that was my point with the video really, I openly said I wasn't playing it perfectly, but well enough to earn on it, which is what I managed to do on the real ones here, once I stopped forcing them..... 🤪

I'm intending to do a video on Wild West at some point (I know you've already done one!) - actually had one here that I unfortunately I.O.U.ed by accident when nursing a dreadful (ahem.....) 'long weekend' hangover and lost track of what was in the hopper, IOU was paid from behind the bar, machine had gone next time I went in.....

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Update for the Wall Street and Cashbuster videos, also an apology to @Clo06 as I used her Wall Street classic in the video and didn't give credit/thanks which was an oversight on my part and very rude!

Turns out there's a DAD DX for Wall Street which I already had in my collection but managed not to find before making the video! @dad

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

JPM's Bonanza played in the lovely new vectra DX on the correct jackpot size, namely £6!

Also some chat around AWP jackpot dates (linking into the thread about it here).

• Like 1

@Chopaholic

When I first thought about doing the layout above I seen images uploaded by infection and was umm’img and ahh’ about it then I seen the earlier vid from you and made the £8 version then I read about yourself asking about the earlier £6 roms so a quick five minute decal change and here it is, so really thanks to you I made this a reality and it is really a cracking machine of which the shadows tune is great and loops itself perfectly to their original tune or which I let play several times before hitting the start to continue the board.

the nuggets! The top feature on that is a streak I had it give around the £15 mark, as for the features text unfortunately my talents didn’t do them justice and a barley readable when lit

• Like 2

Many thanks for making the layout vectra and taking the time to do the £6 version, I basically had it loaded up and running on my PC all weekend and was pretty much playing it if I wasn't doing something else :D 

I know some people aren't too fussy about which ROMs a layout is running but for me, when it comes to many of these £6 machines, they really need to be on their original stake + prize combination, as they give a massively better game.

I remember the £10 versions of Bonanza being in pubs here, and we had one in an arcade that lasted a long time, and it was a totally different beast, the way it would block things or even just never land on some things at all was horrible. The £10 one in the arcade for example never landed on Miner 49er or Round 'Em Up, and there was never a setup on Magnificent Seven or Rock Slide. Maybe I just got unlucky on it or maybe the ROM really was that scummy.

I honestly think Bonanza is up there with Indy as one of the best AWPs ever made.

• Like 1