YouTube Emulation Extravaganza

Chopaholic

9 hours ago, Big J said:

All Degsy's vids are great except for when he does he DOND crap. Whenever I see them I want to bitch slap Edmonds😡👊🏻

I don’t know why people hate DOND so bad, there are so many I guess, but a lot of them are different in many ways.  The £25 and £35 era were very playable.  Not really played any £70 or £100 but most of £100 are boring.

J

The original DOND was pretty unique, as you played the DOND game differently. 

I like some variants such as one where you get a DOND chance immediately. Also the first one that offered an extra gamble after the box is revealed.

Other than that obviously the first true traditional DOND game was interesting to play. 

Double and treble DOND boards also mixed things up, as it gave the player a chance of working out what could and couldn't be in the box, after the first amounts were removed. Also I gave my first fruit machine playing tip in a long time to someone who didn't know that if the amount wasn't still available on both/all 3 DOND boards it wouldn't be in the box. 

Edited by wearecity

Back in the day I was critical of the Fairplay Campaign, however years later and a few grey hairs (mostly through playing AWP) I am totally empathetic with the ideals and aims of Fairplay. Excellent video by Fishta, a great watch and filled in a lot of colour on my sketchy black and white knowledge of the subject. 

Now let me tell thee a tale (puts on flat cap).....

There are parallels within the gaming industry today that could do with a similar campaign to take on justice for the player. 

For me the biggest current day 'crime' a manufacturer can commit is releasing a compensated game with a seemingly fair %, yet installing it so dead at reset that it purposefully pays at a much lesser % for the first few hundreds to  grands cycled only starting to offer the actual % stated after the first few £100-£1000s have been lost at a much lower %

The biggest offenders for such behaviour, currently active in the market are Blueprint. A couple of years back there was an emptier on these digital cabs that was caused by a fault in the firmware and not individual software in each game. Not all games were affected, but some were. It enabled players to get free credits on games. There was a particular £100 jackpot game called Sky's the Limit on these cabs, that from reset would take about £500-£800 for a £100 feature and once it had bedded in you were then paying the stated % to get your feature back with some expected variation. Well if you were emptying it you weren't paying anything of course, but the software didn't know the machine was being scammed, it just paid as if it had taken the money. You could tell a reset cab by pot levels and reel set ups on some games. It was obvious to see, scandulously dead from reset, eases up with a fair bit of play. A pattern repeated on other titles. 

Blueprint have a number of community games on the UK AWP market. They state 88-92% payout dependent on stake and game you are playing but again from reset they pay much less. Hit one on full reset and for the first £500-£1000 you'll barely get more than 70% return. Once they bed in a bit you'll start getting 80%ish for your money and about 2.5k deep (stakes are linked) you'll start to see the advertised % payout.

Now couple that with the regular updates these cabinets receive. These updates are live and via the Internet and can for example add a game, change the graphics, update the note acceptor remotely to accept a new polymer note etc etc. However what is inexcusable is that whilst they have learned that pots should be archived, the value in game conveniently gets reset and once again the game is dead. Cashino are by far and away the worst offenders for this. Rows upon rows of these cabinets with constantly dead games on them. Too dilute to take enough money.  More design than accident? I'd say so, given that Cashino are all part of the same group as Blueprint. See a new game? See new graphics? See extra cabinets added? Well expect awful awful play on nearly all compensated titles.

So beware, just because a flat profile compensated game states 92%, does not mean you will see that any time soon.  

SG are a mixed bag, but not all their releases are exempt from this criticism. In fact some of their £100 stuff is positively crooked and ill conceived, but unlike Blueprint they also have a history of releasing games that pay OVER the stated % for the first few £100s cycled, so you could say at least with them, take the rough with the smooth. They also have a few games which are pitched about right for player and operator. Plus their system of install from reset is complicated and way more sophisticated than Blueprint's 'just initially rob the punter' some venues are seeded generously, others less so.

It's a shame the Gambling Commission seem unable to stop this behaviour. The current testing procedures for new releases just do not adequately protect the player from this bad practice. 

Rant over and I hope some of you found it interesting and it saves some people from wondering why they feel so unlucky. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow if this is true, it possibly explains why king kong cash took £800 on 1 sitting within an hour and what bonus i got was all the lowest and shit. Could of dragged the machine outside that and smashed the cunt up. Never been on a blueprint since, utter shit. 

It sounds (at a guess) like you were playing the £500 king Kong Cash. There is a community version of this game but the £500 version is supposedly random. I'd imagine it's the standard Blueprint £500 when you get a feature you can gamble it for a better feature at risk of 'losing' and getting a mystery win. 

This game help menu states random. This is unfortunately not a complete assurance in the UK cat B market that it is indeed completely random, but I do not have enough experience of this £500 game to say with any sort of certainty if it is random or compensated. 

The trouble with £500s is that the %s seem good to the likes of ourselves. I'm guessing most playing (past and present) members on this site and similar have their roots in pub fruits. The amounts cycled on such games in any one session is very small compared to a £500 and the house edge in that case is generous. 90% is great for pub fruits but decidedly mediocre for £500 jackpots. However a 10% house edge on a £500 game that can cycle through nearly £2000 in an hour (at £2 stake) is a lot more painful to the wallet. 

Despite all that your result is right out there in the truly horrible category. King Kong Cash £500 is medium variance and you've certainly had a horrible result there if it is all fair and above board. Average loss about £200. However you can see that lose £800 one time then next time a session of equal length make £400 and the machine is at % given that each session had a £2000 play through. 

If there is one thing I have learned from this Industry it is don't take things on machines at face value. It wouldn't surprise me if it was compensated and dead from reset whilst stating it was random. I play very few £500 games though so can't really offer any more insight. 

Good idea not to play the damn thing again though, make sure you stick to that!

My mate did a G in one of those community games whilst we was on a route one day,not a single jackpot or big win on that shitty bonus spinner. Was fucking fumin as it put me way behind were i shouldve been. Ended up leaving him there and carried on on my own went and picked him back up a few hours later,how he didnt smash the thing i dont know because i wanted to and it wasnt my money. This place had some of the blueprint community  games on 72% on 50p a play and 74 for a quid wtf is that about. Was hard displayed in the machine help screen so wasnt a minimum that was the average.

What ive found with those 500 blueprints is gamble to 50 quid and just x 10 the thing time and time again gamble is so calles 100% random seen loads of the x 10 land on the 50 quid gambles had a few myself for peanuts in.  Some places have startednturning the gambles off though like quicksilver and admiral did with the t7 and t8s before they made a pies pay at machines value how they do that on a so called random game i dont know. Anyone noticed how the pie gambles are all switched back on now in these places.

72% yikes! I didn't know they could be set that low. I myself have done a grand in the things playing three in community on a quid when they were first released, in a local bingo. 

Live and learn eh? And yes, so much speculation about those gambles. Only thing for sure, I wouldn't trust any of them further than I could throw them. You takes yer chances, however low they may be. 

They could be set to 98%, I still would put a penny in the piles of shite although, fantastic in the emulator but still don't play them. Lock me in Mr P's overnight or a few members abodes at The Mecca and I'll be happy. I'd even pay an entry fee. 

• 1 month later...

Great video and a great DX by the mighty Pookster but what a bloody shite machine and I'm glad I never played it for real !

Reminds me of messing around with that Jon Francombe's layout and getting different results from the same GAMRAM each time.

Again,  I love the way you use Google street view to show the old locations of machines, it really helps pin a place and time.

Good to see a new FME video from you, cheers.

Edited by Mort
wording.
  • Like 1

Another fun video.

It's always difficult to criticise a machine, when you get such a great looking DX. But this and On The Buses were some of Maygay's worse machines ever, so I can't see why the release thread had people, saying this machine was excellent or in fact any good at all, it's absolute crap.

The dicking the player around the board and not even offering anything to collect sometimes, the predictability of where it was going to land you on the board, a win series, consisting of 1 win, is not a series and the top feature offering less than a jackpot 99/100, just all round horrible.

And before anyone says, but if you use the method (if there was one), that doesn't make it a great machine.

• Like 1

Cheers Reg :)

As per the video I think it just makes sense to send people here, to an actual FME community, rather than me trying to give out piecemeal bits of advice in YouTube comments, plus of course folks here are more knowledgeable than me and will probably have better advice anyway!

Besides which of course, the more people involved in the scene, the better!

• Like 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Another good video.

Loved those Proconns back in the day, gameplay wise, they were very entertaining.

Definitely though, they did feel a bit of a cobbled together cheap build, particularly by the £8 era. You could tell, in the industry, who had the money back in the day to make their machines stand out, look and sound wise. But just like computer games, flashy graphics and sounds, still can't beat good old entertaining gameplay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although interesting, surely it's a moot point because it's impossible to see what's behind the mirror?

It's not a mechanism to block it, it's just that the mirror is printed onto the glass, so you can only see through it when the value is lit.

Edited by Wizard

@GeorgeJG " It wouldn't surprise me if it was compensated and dead from reset whilst stating it was random".

Just going back to this, for my entire playing "career", I've always found this to be the case.

I've not played for appox a year, and machines that were gagging when time was called late on Sunday, after the engineer has visited on Monday morning, were totally dead atferwards.

Going back years, I'd read "get this feature it's a JP", but when trying it, it would cost you more than the JP to get it.

Probably everyone was doing them, but come on, on a machine that was in  a dales pub, that was only open 2 nights a week, and you're expected to believe it was being done?  Despite the same reels showing the same days apart?  

In  fact, despite what info folks have told me, last emptier I made a "living" off????  Donkey Kong, so i can say that, in the last 20 years knowing anything made me lose more.

Only other ones I've seen cost mega money.  Supercharged was offered to me at 6 grand.  6 grand!!! The idea being, you're near the top tier, punt it on for a grand a week before it was chipped to as many as you can.  That was what, 18 years ago?

Either on internet forums, email, youtube etc there's bullshit about, "pros" are doing okay, or the manufacturers know exactly what's going on, and apply updates as appropriate (which you can't disagree with obviously as they're a business).

That's how I've seen it.

NQ.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

Although interesting, surely it's a moot point because it's impossible to see what's behind the mirror?

It's not a mechanism to block it, it's just that the mirror is printed onto the glass, so you can only see through it when the value is lit.

According to the some of the early comments left on the video, there was a way to read the box and it was a full emptier!.....

image.png.70acef78e37d16938870755dce13c0c2.png

image.png.2371c4ba5f071e93008e845e33a8ba55.png

image.png.980c22becc18d321d69d9295d2e50db8.png

• Like 1

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth