The real price of fruit machines

Chopaholic

GAMBLING LOW EBBS #1:

A sober recollection of a somewhat unedifying sequence of events from the early 90s. Please be advised this is not a happy tale and gets very sweary at one point.

In all honesty I'm not entirely happy with how it's come together, even in the edit, but I'm not minded to record the whole thing again either. (Note that there is some extra info appended to the end of the video that I forgot to narrate as part of the main tale.)

May be be part of a series if I'm ever in the mood to delve back into the memory banks again to tell the story of other similarly awful fuck-ups from the worst of my gambling addiction days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Oh my, that's quiter shocking. It seems to me that you were caught up in a vicious cycle that not only involved gambling, but also drinking and drugs which I'm sure componded the problem.

I hope there are not too many more of this kind of video to come.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

• Like 1

Thanks Wizard I appreciate the comment. I certainly won't be making a regular feature of these videos but there are a couple of others I'd like to get round to at some point.

The drink and drugs didn't help, but TBH they were trivial sideshows compared to gambling, which was what really had me by the balls.

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Hi Degsy first I have to say it took some, to relive that story with us and I do hope all those days are truly in the past.I have also found myself at countless lows due to the machines from nearly 3 decades of addiction,but none to the extent I ever felt the scary urge to harm myself.
please STAY SAFE MATE,I MEAN THAT.

That is quite shocking what you went through on that terrible occasion, you have my utmost sympathy.I can completely empathise with the whole situation.GAMBLING IS AN EXTREMELY CRUEL CON THAT WILL TAKE AND TAKE AND TAKE TILL EVERY LAST DROP HAS GONE,and would STILL CONTINUE TO DO SO, IF IT fuckin COULD.IT SHOWS NO REMORSE OR UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT IT INFLICTS ON IT'S SUBJECTS.

It's utterly ridiculous and scandalous that this EVIL is even allowed to happen and that there aren't any PROPER safeguards in place to stop this EVIL ADDICTION.All this "play what you can only afford to lose"  and helplines,exclusion,limits etc don't come ANYWHERE NEAR CLOSE to what's required.

I've rung GA and Gamcare in the past but all to no avail in any regard whatsoever.

I blame the programmers,the Manufacturers,the pubs,(the government for allowing this to even take place), and betting shops, for using every trick in the book, in taking US ALL on a WILD ride to MISERY AND DISPAIR,without any care or concern of what it does to countless people the world over.
SHAME ON YOU.

I BLAME MYSELF ALL THE TIME too for being such a greedy,falliable MUG in that I've been taken in by this Problem that you only have to look around you today to see to what extent, has become of it.
Truly Horrendous.The only thing that is going to help me and others perhaps, is to show dogged determination in never ever ever returning to gambling.I do believe the LURE is something in my nature ie,flashing lights.sounds,games, that has been, truly TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.

Countless times after a LOSS I've tried to tell myself WTF are you doing,you could have bought this,that or the other many many many times over.Just the other day I wanted to buy a vinyl from Discogs but ummed and ahh'd about the £5 cost inc p&p (strange how I seem to do that) AND YET GO AND LOSE £47 + £317 two days later on the fruit machines in the press and hope of a few buttons.Christ I could have bought that record 72.8 TIMES OVER.and that's just one example of countless others I could tell you about. It's fucking rediculous it really is.

I've been there too with you Degsy (minus the dreadful mirror,knife,hospital incident) where you literally can't buy a box of matches due to nature the addictiction has over you.

I remember getting paid one Friday going in the pub with work collegues,then losing the weeks wage on a machine and having to ask a work collegue while she's sat down in a group with others enjoying chatting and drinking, if I could borrow a tenner to buy literally bread for the week & 20 fags.She looked at me like WTF you only just got paid 2 hours ago.I wasn't bothered about the humiliation of asking but more about the shitty week ahead with no food ,fags,beer or anything really.IT REALLY WAS SHIT.

I remember another time like you spending all the money in a pub on eastenders,changing the tenners for pints and £1 coins only to lose it all (with no money for food or anything for at least a fortnight), when that Friday evening your housemates get back from Uni,Poly in great moods for a night out round the bars and you feel SO fucking shitty & LOW that you COULD'VE GONE IF you weren't so stupid as to lose it all in the fuckin evil machines.

It feels so shit like a numb lul the hours and days after such losses, but this fades away into the distant past then,I get the URGE,IMPULSE back to gamble yet again,foolishly thinking THIS time will be DIFFERENT, I'll win.I can't possibly always lose,IT HAS TO WIN BY THE LAWS OF PROBABILITY.

But of course It NEVER EVER FUCKING DOES.

I've tried countless things like only take so much out with you,but you inevitably just find yourself at the cash machine taking £200 out,trying to get change here and there because the stupid note acceptors FUCK UP then they turn the machine OFF. and the Pubs NEVER HAVE A SUFFICIENT FLOAT of £1 coins.Then running home for more,with the STUPID BELIEF I'M GOING TO WIN it back,I NEVER HAVE,YOU NEVER DO,YOU JUST LOSE MORE OF IT.

I've put hundreds of pieces of paper, cellotaped up on my wardrobe with dates losses and REMINDERS NEVER TO PLAY THEM AGAIN, but I do.

I've said millions of TIMES THAT'S IT ,NEVER AGAIN and yet I found myself for the first time  ever,two days ago on a FOBT,trying to win some of the £464 I lost six weeks ago and the £217 I lost two weeks ago then ending up losing another £317 two days ago.I'd lost £47 previously in the day on the utter boring rubbish that is BULLIONBars despite winning £89 from it.The maths are constantly against you.

IT ALWAYS STARTS WITH A WARM FEELING, THIS TIME I'M GOING TO WIN, AND QUIT WHEN I'M AHEAD,BUT IT ALWAYS ENDS UP BEING CHASING THE LOSSES.

I WATCHED STOP AND STEP (YOUTUBE) play Wish upon a Jackpot on the fortune spins 2 days ago and noted THAT FUCKIN FAT FAIRY FUCK won't rub off as she did six fuckin times in a row on the PUB version then AFTER £217 IN give you Jack & the Bullshit feature for £3.

SERIOUSLY WTF IS THAT, IT'S NOT EVEN A JOKE,IT'S GOT TO STOP !!!!!!

stop and step won fairly big on WUAJ on the fortune spins so FOOLISHLY I thought I'll go out and win like that too.

I'll tell you what ,I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE OF GAMBLING BEEN SHOCKED AS MUCH AS TO HOW QUICK the FOBT ATE £20 AFTER £20 trying to get that GOLD FAIRY FUCK OUT ONCE
IT LITERALLY ATE £280 IN THE SPACE OF NOT EVEN 2 MINUTES.and when she finally appeared I won a measly £7 on the poxy pinnochio spin. I did win £100 earlier on King Kong cash (if I can call it that as it wasn't enough to compensate for the earlier losses) and £56 on Fishing frenzy then another £85 and £57 on other things but all in all I was carried away with the belief I'd win more only to be £364 down by the end of the day.

I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT THIS TIME I'M GOING TO ABSOLUTELY FUCKIN MAKE IT MY AIM A FRUIT MACHINE IS NOT GOING TO SEE ONE MORE PENNY FROM ME ONCE AND FOR ALL,I FEEL THAT ANGRY ABOUT IT.

Degsy I'm REALLY SORRY TO RAVE ON ABOVE LIKE THAT AND FOR ALL THE CAPS LOCK ETC,but I just wanted to share a small slice of the experiences I've encountered in giving you some assurance that you're FAR FROM BEING ALONE in all this.

I am very pleased to hear after watching your video that your dark days are hopefully over since the early 2000's. I WILL FOLLOW IN YOUR FOOTSTEPS as an Inspiration to do the same for myself from NOW ON. Otherwise I'm gonna be well and truly fucked unless I really wake the fuck up and do something about this from now on.

Best Regards

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

I have marked this as angry, not because of the bad post - it's a truely honest post but it makes me so angry to see what this does to people.

@char042102, I do not know you personally but I wish you EVERY HOPE in beating this terrible addiction.  Please reach out to me if being on a site like this is too much with all the machines and chat that is on it and I'll give you an instant ban if it helps with and addiction you have to step away.  I am not sure if that is the right kind of response - but I honestly don't know what to say.

I thought my world was bad once, but I think I got out lucky.   I have yet to see @Chopaholic video and I am not sure that I actually want to - looking at some of the comments here.  I will do of course - but the comment about mirror and knife, well, that just shows how bad this shit can be.

@char042102 again, stay strong and good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Chopaholic well I am not too pleased with myself !  I removed that comment about is it going to play that tune we all know about...  ...wish I'd not posted that and listened to your video first.

...I am used to your happy funny videos - this was kind of a little beyond messed up !

Can I ask - if you are going to do another one of these - would you consider doing one on how you broke the cycle and everything got better.  Then at least you can link that video as well to show it worked out.

I am not sure about your comment on the end - I hope you enjoyed that video.

This is lesson for anyone that thinks gambling is fun - thank fuck you're still with us after that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reg said:

@Chopaholic well I am not too pleased with myself !  I removed that comment about is it going to play that tune we all know about...  ...wish I'd not posted that and listened to your video first.

...I am used to your happy funny videos - this was kind of a little beyond messed up !

Can I ask - if you are going to do another one of these - would you consider doing one on how you broke the cycle and everything got better.  Then at least you can link that video as well to show it worked out.

I am not sure about your comment on the end - I hope you enjoyed that video.

This is lesson for anyone that thinks gambling is fun - thank fuck you're still with us after that.

No problem Reg no offence taken :) I appreciate this video goes somewhat darker than anything I've done before but it was a story I thought was worth telling, and to show that even the humble £6 AWP was capable of causing devastation if - (as I was) - someone was so consumed by addiction that they almost literally wanted to do nothing else but play them.

IIRC I typed this one up on Fruit Forums back in the day, so this is basically the narrated version of that story.

In my head are parts #2, #3 and #4 but I'm not in any particular hurry to get round to them for obvious reasons! The next thing I want to get done is finishing off the M1a/b series following on from Corrie/Eastenders/Noel, which hopefully I'll have some time for next week.

TBH I'm just grateful I got through 92/93/94 alive, were it not for my family and some very good friends (perhaps most notably of course the friend in the video, who is coming over again this year in August or September!), and then Mrs Chopaholic entering my life in May 94, I'm pretty sure I'd have been pushing up daisies a long time ago.

Anyway, I thought the 'My Tune' idea was quite amusing, and like I say, no offence taken :) 

• Thanks 1

Well Thanks Reg for the kind wishes and encouragement ,I really appreciate the concern and very kind offer for help ,that's very kind of you and I'm really sorry that I angered you,it wasn't my intention at all to do so and I hope I didn't anger others either.

I honestly don't think banning me is going to help me but would do more to upset me but I do totally appreciate your reasoning for offering it to me as an option to help with regards the addiction.

If you want to ban me then what can I say,Its not my preference at all because I'll miss out on all the fantastic new Stuff this site has to offer inc all the nice people who frequent this forum.I can certainly keep posts mild and simple if that's what's required if that enables me to still be a member here but that decision is ultimately yours.

I love fruit machines but hate what they can do to people too.

I was just trying to be honest and

I really just felt the need to echo, from degsy's latest video how fruit machine addiction can take a hold of your life in such devastating ways.It maybe was a post too far and I did wonder whether to post it or keep it to myself.But I thought that if others could also relate to it and feel that they're not on their own it might go some way into highlighting and helping that the ONLY WAY for some of us to beat this addiction is to FINALLY admit enough is enough and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.I think in my instance I have reached a point when I've put myself through it so many times that finally I'm just bored and through with the whole concept of playing fruit machines in the wild ever again.It's taken me a very long time indeed to reach this point and to ultimately realise it's a game I no longer wish to partake in.I really wish everyone else in the same position as me to succeed and put it behind them as well.

I

• Like 1

The stone cold truth of where gambling addiction can take you.   Thanks for the video Al.   I can certainly relate to those dark times.   It's amazing how even when you have hit rock bottom you still find a way to gamble.    

I read that gambling addicts are wired in a way that their brains release fewer endorphins than 'normal' people.  

Heres a line from a favourite song of mine that I can really relate to, the song is about addiction, heroin in this case.

'Now I'm reversing down a lonely street
To a cheap hotel where I can meet the past
Pay it off and keep it sweet'

Death on the stairs - The Libertines

J

Edited by A:E

Finally to add and sorry to bore everyone to death with it, this is my last statement on this subject and my whole sorry post today.

I bought six fruit machines for my home five or so years ago in the hope that would curb my addiction and you know what,I've barely switched them on once.It's simply no fun for me to win my own cash. As A:E was eluding to I think I needed that hit of dopeamine
or the thrill of winning cash other than my own as that's what we all play them for right ?

or I might be wrong,maybe people and possibly myself to begin with just played for the entertainment \ curiousity value and didn't mind spending a little to achieve that.
A bit of harmless fun right ?

However because of my overly addictive tendances I somehow let my harmless enjoyment cross the threshhold into my only aim now was to win money. A futile attempt maybe and completely stupid and greedy on my behalf and serves my right too,I've learned the hard way,boy haven't I just .to think I ever had a chance against clever coding practices of always dangling that carrot just out of reach,well done coders you sure as anything beat me,I concede, you won .no hard feelings though hay,you were only doing your job right? now see all the trouble that that caused ,could have made it a hell of a lot less brutal for us addicts though,couldn't you but such is life I suppose.maybe one day hay.here's hoping.

Anyway I feel like such an idiot for ever going down this path as prior to fruit machines
tbh I never even looked twice at them,always thought they were a waste of money and I didn't know what to do on them anyway.I was always more of an arcade video game player and could make 20p last half an hour on some games by clocking them,Nemesis by Konami is a case in point as I rightly assumed as it turned out, a much bigger value for money prospect.

I'll wrap this sorry attempt at a post(s) up for which I regret dearly now.
I should have never of expressed any of my addiction problem today and just kept it private.
However I don't regret my well meaning messages and concern to Degsy who has this fantastic thread,I'm sorry for taking it in the direction I did.Please don't be put off from making the videos as we all love to watch them.

Also a very big thank you to Reg for kindly reaching out to me with his genuine concern today,very much appreciated that and thanks for providing such an enjoyable site and all the hard work you and many others do in the background for us members.

Don't worry about me I'll get through this,I'm determined to.I'll get back in my box from now on and keep to a low profile,think I've caused enough feathers to fly about for one day and I direct that solely at myself.

take care everyone,no hard feelings,peaceout.

4 hours ago, char042102 said:

Well Thanks Reg for the kind wishes and encouragement ,I really appreciate the concern and very kind offer for help ,that's very kind of you and I'm really sorry that I angered you,it wasn't my intention at all to do so and I hope I didn't anger others either.

I honestly don't think banning me is going to help me but would do more to upset me but I do totally appreciate your reasoning for offering it to me as an option to help with regards the addiction.

If you want to ban me then what can I say,Its not my preference at all because I'll miss out on all the fantastic new Stuff this site has to offer inc all the nice people who frequent this forum.I can certainly keep posts mild and simple if that's what's required if that enables me to still be a member here but that decision is ultimately yours.

I love fruit machines but hate what they can do to people too.

I was just trying to be honest and

I really just felt the need to echo, from degsy's latest video how fruit machine addiction can take a hold of your life in such devastating ways.It maybe was a post too far and I did wonder whether to post it or keep it to myself.But I thought that if others could also relate to it and feel that they're not on their own it might go some way into highlighting and helping that the ONLY WAY for some of us to beat this addiction is to FINALLY admit enough is enough and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.I think in my instance I have reached a point when I've put myself through it so many times that finally I'm just bored and through with the whole concept of playing fruit machines in the wild ever again.It's taken me a very long time indeed to reach this point and to ultimately realise it's a game I no longer wish to partake in.I really wish everyone else in the same position as me to succeed and put it behind them as well.

I

Sorry awake at totally the wrong time of night - lol.

So no I am not angry at you, the angry at the post was seeing what these bloody machines had done to you.  Your post was brilliant to help others see the dangers but the impact for you brings anger about addiction.

I would never ban you off my own back.  It was meant that if you felt you needed to step away from this site due to the content, you could call on me to try to lock you out - self exclusion.

• Thanks 1

As to your post above - do not regret talking about this.  Never.

You will never be judged by anyone here for what you post.  In a way, it shows that you are not alone by the comments that are appearing and for those that have recovered and I hope you get there, I really do, it shows some kind of beacon in the night that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

@char042102 nobody will be bored with what you post here, you are doing exactly what @Chopaholic has done but putting the content in writing rather then words.  He spoke for 40+ honest minutes, I bet you have taken at least that time to write your thoughts.

Let it be known, as you recover feel free to post updates and you can look back with pride to see yourself progress from what you were to what you become.

You and others are most welcome here to talk about this kind of problem.  It should be dealt with like this rather then hidden away in a dark corner.

You are not alone in this site with this demon to face - just on a different part of a journey then others.

Be safe, be well.

• Thanks 1

I have said it many times that a fruit machine addict (and yes I've been there) actually WANTS to lose.  It’s a kind of self-punishment!!

Winning on a fruit machine no longer gives the buzz as it should and only prolongs the agony of wanting to get rid of your cash as fast as possible because we all know that it'll end up being put straight back in.  

I know a chap who recons he's a pro-gambler and never loses - yeah right!!  He came to my door one day waving three grand in cash saying look what I won last night, six Jackpots on machines like Rainbow Riches, Elvis & Reelking etc......  Within another two days it'd all gone plus a good wedge besides.  This isn't some numb nut, he's a highly qualified bloke in his 50s with a wife and family but the trouble is he lived within walking distance of the arcades, it was all too easy just to nip round.  A few months later he admitted his massive addiction and took the huge step of moving house simply to get away from temptation as he was about to lose everything.  I kind of lost touch with him for a while until the other day when I heard that he now drives 50 miles plus almost every day just to play the machines again.  How can you help someone who’s that addicted?  It’s a sad state of affairs.

I live within walking distance of some seaside arcades and occasionally pop in, more to help with emulation than anything else but I'm fully aware that it wouldn't take much to take me down that dark path again.  I like to kid myself that I have it under control now which is kind of true I suppose as I've not gone mental for years but I'm under no illusion that gambling is in my blood and probably always will be.

I'd advise anyone who recognises they have a problem PLEASE just TALK TO SOMEONE and tell them.  There is no shame in admitting an addiction and talking about it really helps.  If need be, get professional help.   Some of the chaps on here and the other fruit machine forums have been through the same problems, some are still very much experiencing the pain of addiction and living a miserable existence because of it.  If that's you, all I can say is you’re not alone and if you want some good help and advice then this is a good place to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who suffers with any kind of destructive addiction is never truly freed from it's clutches.    It's rare, but even today when I go to an arcade I feel that euphoric excitement of gambling wash over me.      Getting into a non destructive pass time/hobby is the key. 

J

• Thanks 1

Just watched , or should I say listened to the video...thanks for it.

I've had varirents on this many times over the years.

But listening you the video, here's how I felt.

I smiled, 94, the good old days,  2nd year of uni myself.

I laughed, out with uni mates etc.

I cried for you for the rest of the video.  I know a few of us have traded emails like that to each other, but to hear it, laid out in front of you, fact by fact, like in a novel.  That's really got me upset. (and I know upset, I'm a Sunderland fan).

I then thought a while, and cried for me.  46 doing okay now, getting by just, but fucked up so many years with bandits, drink, friendships, relationships, and family so much....and you can't get those years back.

NQ,

On 01/06/2018 at 07:56, Chopaholic said:

GAMBLING LOW EBBS #1:

A sober recollection of a somewhat unedifying sequence of events from the early 90s. Please be advised this is not a happy tale and gets very sweary at one point.

In all honesty I'm not entirely happy with how it's come together, even in the edit, but I'm not minded to record the whole thing again either. (Note that there is some extra info appended to the end of the video that I forgot to narrate as part of the main tale.)

May be be part of a series if I'm ever in the mood to delve back into the memory banks again to tell the story of other similarly awful fuck-ups from the worst of my gambling addiction days.

Thanks for sharing this story,and just listening to it i felt the pain,and you know what from other story's you hear it looks like we was all in the same boat. I used to think it was just me in a mess! But the thing is looking back at the time it didnt look like it was a problem but the norm and now i hear these storys some 30 years on i realize i had a problem. To go in the slots with pocket of cash to chase jackpots, lose the lot (cause even if i win am only putting it back in again) then came out and think what the f**K have i done. And then think well am standing in the doorway of the arcade on the way out how i can obtain money by what ever means. Done some naughty things to get cash which not going into over the internet,because hay once iv got cash am back in my little bubble were i dont give a f**k about anything but being the man with a pocket full of tokens/cash walking round the arcade. Only to lose the lot and start again.But i noticed that some of the things i did at time to obtain money i started to do more silly but serious things. Around this time started going to a rave club up here called shelleys and getting into billy and mdma as again it was the norm.It was the 90s ffs good times or so i thought so trying to get cash by any means is a must, as YTS wage didnt cut it.

To cut a long story short (as could you tell some storys but some things are best left in the past)i passed my test and got a car all payed for by my mums boyfriend. I melt a girl who am not with now but something changed,Ya i still used to go the slots with her but its like i didnt want her to know about me being naughty and things and as we was always together i couldn't do the things i used to,to obtain money, So its like i got out of this nasty circle i was in and am grateful to her for this(and she didn't even know).

I still think about slots to this day (thats why we are all here) We say to relive the good times/days of slots, BUT WAS THEY REALLY THAT GOOD?? with what it did to most of us looking back.

Degsy,am glad you saw the light and your still here(or there would be no videos for us to watch)but you got out in time,but just think now with these silly £500 pounds machines about back then???? Does bear thinking about!!!

You take care.

Dave

18 hours ago, char042102 said:

Finally to add and sorry to bore everyone to death with it, this is my last statement on this subject and my whole sorry post today.

I bought six fruit machines for my home five or so years ago in the hope that would curb my addiction and you know what,I've barely switched them on once.It's simply no fun for me to win my own cash. As A:E was eluding to I think I needed that hit of dopeamine
or the thrill of winning cash other than my own as that's what we all play them for right ?

or I might be wrong,maybe people and possibly myself to begin with just played for the entertainment \ curiousity value and didn't mind spending a little to achieve that.
A bit of harmless fun right ?

However because of my overly addictive tendances I somehow let my harmless enjoyment cross the threshhold into my only aim now was to win money. A futile attempt maybe and completely stupid and greedy on my behalf and serves my right too,I've learned the hard way,boy haven't I just .to think I ever had a chance against clever coding practices of always dangling that carrot just out of reach,well done coders you sure as anything beat me,I concede, you won .no hard feelings though hay,you were only doing your job right? now see all the trouble that that caused ,could have made it a hell of a lot less brutal for us addicts though,couldn't you but such is life I suppose.maybe one day hay.here's hoping.

Anyway I feel like such an idiot for ever going down this path as prior to fruit machines
tbh I never even looked twice at them,always thought they were a waste of money and I didn't know what to do on them anyway.I was always more of an arcade video game player and could make 20p last half an hour on some games by clocking them,Nemesis by Konami is a case in point as I rightly assumed as it turned out, a much bigger value for money prospect.

I'll wrap this sorry attempt at a post(s) up for which I regret dearly now.
I should have never of expressed any of my addiction problem today and just kept it private.
However I don't regret my well meaning messages and concern to Degsy who has this fantastic thread,I'm sorry for taking it in the direction I did.Please don't be put off from making the videos as we all love to watch them.

Also a very big thank you to Reg for kindly reaching out to me with his genuine concern today,very much appreciated that and thanks for providing such an enjoyable site and all the hard work you and many others do in the background for us members.

Don't worry about me I'll get through this,I'm determined to.I'll get back in my box from now on and keep to a low profile,think I've caused enough feathers to fly about for one day and I direct that solely at myself.

take care everyone,no hard feelings,peaceout.

As echoed by Reg, Dont EVER EVER say your SORRY for wanting to talk about your problems with gambling,you have done a brave thing by reaching out and telling someone about this nasty thing that's NOT YOUR FAULT. Reading though your post your on the right path as you know deep down you WONT and CANT win!!!! the bit about buying that record from Discogs hit a cord with me and so many times iv done the same with wanting to buy something so simple,but wanted so much to put it in the slots instead.

Let me tell you something about how the gamblers mind works and i knew i was doing it but the mind was that powerful it some how just took over and i let it.

The other day i had £400 in my wallet and was thinking about nipping down to the slots for a quick dabble but needed to fill up with petrol and i thought i best put this on my card as i may need this all of this £400 to use down the slots!!! WTF so in my mind the £400 pound was already lossed cause thats what i was going to gamble. and for that short time well i was driving down there i was battling with my mind why i shouldn't do it (its mad,hard to explain to someone that doesn't gamble how the thought process works)anyhow managed to get by this one and go home but as long as that £400 is in my wallet,its a battle.    

Please if you can get help in anyway your not alone.

Dont let the mind control you,YOU CONTROL THE MIND.     YOU CANT WIN!!!! OR GET RICH you will never see rich gambler FACT!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much Reg,dad,A:E,evo1 means a lot. read through all your replies,

feel so grateful to you all for your time and support to,help,guide,put up with and deal with me.

it's reassuring to know I'm far from alone in all this,so that's very much appreciated.

I'll definitely take what you all said on board, cheers so much.

I can REALLY relate to all the things mentioned which lead me to this quandary.

It's so confusing why this PROBLEM feels so terrible for vast amounts of people  so I decided to

try to pull it apart and work out logically, why this is so, and I think I've sussed it out.so please bear with me. I may need help with this so please feel free to join in if you spot any glaring errors or the blatantly obvious.

I'm trying to establish a kind of flow chart as to how this problem comes in to being.

It's quite bewildering but seems to work and make some sort of sense.

here goes

THE MACHINES ARE REALLY FUN TO PLAY.........................BUT

IN ORDER TO DO SO......................................IT REQUIRES MONEY. so in order to prolong the FUN

we have to keep paying for it which is WHERE, we perceive payment to be (LOSSES)

(LOSSES) being where the PAIN stems from and is the cause of "THE PROBLEM"

it would appear that WE CAN'T BEAR TO PAY ,which is strange really because we are getting FUN for our (LOSSES).

BUT THAT'S AN  oxymoron - (How can something be FUN when losing money is not fun) 

BUT WHAT IF WE SEE IT (NOT AS LOSING) BUT AS BUYING SOMETHING (ENTERTAINMENT) in this case,

then why do we feel so terrible about it. it must therefore be because there's no set price to THIS item, because it's undefined, due to a  PAY AS YOU USE BASIS and THE MORE YOU PAY FOR SOMETHING, YOUR MIND LOGICALLY TELLS YOU, YOU SHOULD SEE MORE TO SHOW FOR IT (which was the fun remember ) BUT IN THIS INSTANCE, IT TURNS OUT THE "MORE YOU SEE" actually equates to  "THE MORE YOU'VE LOST"  which isn't FUN (that oxymoron remember)

SO YOUR MIND CAN'T ACCOUNT FOR THIS DISPARITY. (HOW CAN SOMETHING THAT COSTS MORE, BE FUN)

You almost have to see FRUIT MACHINING as RENTING, like a car for example where the more you pay, the longer you have it.

SO REALLY WE WERE ONLY EVER RENTING THE ENTERTAINMENT . a bit of RENT SOME FUN.

The reason we feel short changed or the PAIN if you like is because we feel we don't have something physical to show for it,

but why then are we content when we go to the cinema, where we pay for something that's not physical either,just images,experience and memories.but rarely perceive that as a TERRIBLE LOSS or problem.

It's definitely got something to do with a LIMIT and as we all know, there's no limit with the fruit machines (unless strict discipline is applied)  but there is a universal limit on a cinema ticket price.

It really is all rather curious.

anyway night folks , I've managed to tire myself out,  and thanks again to you guys up top. I really can't state how much you've cheered me up by talking to me.It's helped me a lot.

I was reading that GP's can help with gambling addiction by prescribing Naltrexone.    I don't know a great deal about it, I was just skim reading.  Might have it's own long term affects but it could potentially help with that gambling craving and the continuous gambling cycle and if it does stop that euphoric buzz then maybe gambling might lose it's appeal?

J

Agree that a lot of pros are ex-addicts. I'll need to make a video on this as well and chuck in my 2p. Might talk about current state of gambling in general today as things like these FOBTs are just madness. From a financial point of view you're better off being addicted to crack than gambling

Machines give us an escape from real life which is why I believe money lost doesn't really register with us, it's the escape that matters.

One brilliant comment I related to was about being thrifty in absolutely every other part of life except machines and gambling. Every penny counts but can sit and lose thousands without guilt or a second thought until afterwards.

Very very few 'pros' keep at it successfully in the long term and most are full of shit while claiming dole.

As has been said, it is possible to come out the other side and maintain a 'normal' life but there's always a part of you which is susceptible to those lights, buttons and the pockets full of pound coins.

• Like 1

Thanks, for the video Cheerful, some very good pointers and recommendations there, especially at the end about focusing the energy into more productive pursuits. as they always say if your'e doing something worthwhile,you don't have the time for destructive elements to ensue.

DISCIPLINE IS KEY IN ALL THIS. although that's a word us envelope pushers constantly fail to recognise.

As far as FOBT is concerned,although I would also despise a nanny style state as per the (1984esque) movie clip, I do think the government could do a lot more to focus on this problem and recommend a commissional oversight or thinktank completely independant from lobby groups, in tackling this area, as a reduction to the new £2 stake with regards the FOBT is wholly inadequate. ps we all know why they won't as you eluded to in your video clip.

On a bucket also mentioned about this new fad of gambling "skins" that kids are getting into.

just a little insight as to what a friend of mine who's a long term fruit machine /horse/football betman allowed to happen, which I told him off for, which ties in with these younger gamblers which is just wrong.

We were in a seaside arcade not too long ago, and his two youngish daughters kept coming up to him asking him for change, with which he obliged, and all three were on the £5 bullionbars triple terminal. and when one of his daughters won, he said to me "aw she always wins,she does it alt time" . So I said to him "is this a good idea to have your girls exposed to these machines"
I was paraphrasing there.

And he just said "yeah they know what the machines are like" which was a complete underestimation on his behalf.He should know better,he's seen it a thousand times like me.
I fear for those two girls,maybe they'll never play a machine again when they get older or just have a blast when their with their dad,who's to say.
(by the way it wasn't some one off  occurence)

It's none of my business to get into other peoples management of their children and one might say "god, what's your problem,it's only a bit of fun,stop ownin' about it" but I DO worry for his two girls.I really DO, I hope they have a mild brush with what could potentially be...... ,well you don't need me to fill in the blanks.

On 03/06/2018 at 10:05, A:E said:

I was reading that GP's can help with gambling addiction by prescribing Naltrexone.    I don't know a great deal about it, I was just skim reading.  Might have it's own long term affects but it could potentially help with that gambling craving and the continuous gambling cycle and if it does stop that euphoric buzz then maybe gambling might lose it's appeal?

J

Interesting, thanks for this A:E,

I never knew of such a thing.I'm due to see a GP soon and will ask him/her about this.

I am slightly sceptical though when it comes to medication as I was on anti-depressants for over ten years.

awful headaches,swaying etc.

I've been such a pessimist over the years,as well as being totally cynical about everything sadly.Gosh were did it all go wrong,I was always such a smiley happy child.:D I've got the photos to prove it.

I spoke to a kind, old gentleman today who was really nice and agreed with me on so many points.(we were on the phone to one of those robot voice option 1,2,3,4,5  interfaces that our lovely organisations love to use these days.suffice to say he put the phone down on it after 10 minutes of getting nowhere.and that's from a fella in his mid 60's.so It's not just me then xD

but he still tried his best, to instill in me, we still have to strive in hope,which restored some of the little faith I have left.

I'll ask my GP about this form of meds and weigh up the response before I consider trying it as an option.

but thank you A:E for bringing it to my attention.

Good news

Early days I know,

I've managed to keep off the machines for a week now despite 3 Pangs of varying strength,

the first was easy to evade by taking a detour around the edge of town and avoiding the danger areas.

the second was reminding myself of what would be the outcome and not making the journey into town and quickly forgotten.

the third was the worst pang by far where I was at home,after a couple of beers and £800 in crisp £20 notes in my hand I thought should I try my luck,but thankfully william hill was due to close in 25 mins and so I had a go on the free demo play of King Kong Cash,Rainbow Riches Pick and Mix, online. phew

today I was in town and it barely crossed my mind to go on one.Just a slight shimmer.

so far so good.