The Build

39 minutes ago, Amusements said:

Really nice job on the cabinet :) You might be able to find some nice trim in a car accessory  shop for it too.

I am surprised you have gone for landscape mode though.

Thanks 👍🏻 I have ordered some chrome trim for it, and I was going to make it portrait but the pc doesn’t support rotation as the screen is a built in computer about 15 year old!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 123 said:

Thanks 👍🏻 I have ordered some chrome trim for it, and I was going to make it portrait but the pc doesn’t support rotation as the screen is a built in computer about 15 year old!

Will it support another monitor in landscape mode?
post-3818-0-11921200-1389486374.thumb.jpg.3e8ca8c3cc517b7859ae5b327fbdaa95.jpg

• Like 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

32 minutes ago, A:E said:

Will it run Win10?

Can you post a pic of the computer you are going to be using.  Can’t understand why you can’t mount it portrait, it would be so much better.  Your going to have very small machines in landscape mode.   What size is the screen 19”?

J

Originally it was Windows XP managed to upgrade to win 7 then I tried upgrading it to win10 but there was an error.

image.thumb.jpeg.c079bfd32adcbbe02d8cef265b27a508.jpeg
So I tried something off the internet on how to enable NX but still never worked!

I then decided to leave it on win 7 in portrait mode. I scanned all over all setting on how to change the screen to portrait (there was no option) I then googled it tried that still no option ( so I just imagined it was too old to change to portrait or it’s because it’s a built in screen pc).

It’ a Sony vaio pc can’t tell you the exact model because I’m not a home at the minute but will check when I’m back !

Also it is 19” x 12”

40 minutes ago, A:E said:

Will it run Win10?

Can you post a pic of the computer you are going to be using.  Can’t understand why you can’t mount it portrait, it would be so much better.  Your going to have very small machines in landscape mode.   What size is the screen 19”?

J

Hi this is a pic of the pc I found on google it’s the same one I’m using.

image.thumb.jpeg.9eeadd7637f822c37675ac65dfe786f7.jpeg
👍

3 minutes ago, davep180 said:

Hey @123. The woodwork on the cabinet looks great, the button setup looks good too. Hope you get the screen issue sorted, but tbh if it has to stay in landscape mode it will still be an amazing first effort. Good luck with the rest and keep us posted!

Thanks! I think I’ll end up keeping it in landscape mode but at least some of machines I’ll use will look alright in full stretch mode on MFME 👍🏻

Think v6 supports Win7, but any later version is Win10 only, so any layouts released after v6 you will not be able to play.

You will most probably experience speed issues running mfme with that machine. It has a fairly weak CPU, a Pentium 4, it also only has 512mb ram.

Be interesting to know how it does perform but I would expect it to be a little underpowered.

J

J

10 hours ago, A:E said:

Think v6 supports Win7, but any later version is Win10 only, so any layouts released after v6 you will not be able to play.

You will most probably experience speed issues running mfme with that machine. It has a fairly weak CPU, a Pentium 4, it also only has 512mb ram.

Be interesting to know how it does perform but I would expect it to be a little underpowered.

J

J

Yes I have the latest version installed for my pc (v6.1) and most games run ok but quite a few are a bit slow with the reels spinning etc, but I can live with that!

Instead of it being left in the attic I just thought I would use that and it saves me buying a new pc and at least it is getting used for something! 👍

Edited by 123
  • Like 1

Later techs will suffer the most I imagine.  Scorp 5 and large format layouts with scaling.

Shame to spend all the time building a nice cab and then fitting it with an underpowered pc.

You could check out ebay for a montherboard/cpu bundle.   Some slightly newer tech way more powerful than you have at extremely reasonable prices.

I got a 3rd gen i5 2500k with motherboard and 8gb ram for £45.   It works perfect in my cab, it runs all emulators I use including Dreamcast.

J

3 hours ago, A:E said:

Later techs will suffer the most I imagine.  Scorp 5 and large format layouts with scaling.

Shame to spend all the time building a nice cab and then fitting it with an underpowered pc.

You could check out ebay for a montherboard/cpu bundle.   Some slightly newer tech way more powerful than you have at extremely reasonable prices.

I got a 3rd gen i5 2500k with motherboard and 8gb ram for £45.   It works perfect in my cab, it runs all emulators I use including Dreamcast.

J

I will have to have a look but to be honest I’m not great with motherboards in computers and all that so if it looks to technical I might have to give it a miss 😂😂

Thank you A:E for the information though 👍👍

@123 I get where you are coming from on this one. Using what you have, rather than buying into something else. Have you looked into any cheap upgrades for your vaio? Are there ram ugrades available? My Mame cab is just an old repurposed i5 business machine and it runs MFME6.1 ok (I think, not really noticed anything bad!) I used cheaper chinese parts for buttons and joysticks, and am still using it now. If the proof of concept works, then you have the option to upgrade to a better spec win 10 machine to play the latest machines. @A:E sounds like he could be helpful if you want to upgrade. If it's ok with you @A:E , I may seek your advice for a suitable pc for a future project as I am now following @WibbleWobble's posts on building his machine (which looks awesome). Thanks to everyone here, including @No1Stoney in other posts, your experience is invaluable!

• Like 1

Hi I think the memory has been upgraded but for everything thing else I don’t know 😂

I think I’m probably going to leave this one how it is (as it works well enough for me) and then in future if I build a better version of my cabinet I will buy an upgraded pc with everything in it and make it in portrait.

Thanks for your help davep180 and A:E 👍

Hi everyone quick update on the build,

I decided to change the shape a bit of the cabinet think it looks better.

image.thumb.jpeg.63dbc97f6edc18bc727a213d9569d475.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.e9ee42ca44fe4fce643d403c18311cd5.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e4fcb52156a6615636b1174471977c73.jpeg

Also managed to make my own holder and chute for the coin mech (cheaper option 😂).

image.thumb.jpeg.33ed85b111bd40d381c445e2888a5cc4.jpeg

And I managed to wire up the wires for coin mech into blocks for them to finally go to the IPAC etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.77a6cc75bfb1740c878c5a88a8b30fe2.jpeg

I’ll add another update once I have built a bit more of the machine 👍👍

Edited by 123
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...