Desert Island Retro

Mad Martha / Spectrum

Reg

When I got a ZX Spectrum (48k rubber key) for my Christmas present in 1985, Mad Martha was one of the games that came with it...( I've still got it all) -  My dad had played it the night before apparantly and he was amused by it saying "You can't do that, Mick!" when he'd type a command the game didn't understand! I played it quite a bit, back in the day, was not too good at it, tho but was able to break into the program and get it to run other parts of the game - there was an arcade style game in it that had you collecting £ signs while trying to avoid a cat that's after you... I used to do the same with Pimania as there was a few arcade games in that i believe. I'd of never of found them through normal play as i'm shit at adventure games!

Play adventure games as intended? - you can't do that Gary! 🤣

I will have to take a moment to view that video later, Reg. Should be interesting.

Cheers,

Gary.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MPU_FIVE said:

When I got a ZX Spectrum (48k rubber key) for my Christmas present in 1985, Mad Martha was one of the games that came with it..

That's right same for me - I was thinking yesterday how come I had the original but that's why

Your box will be CASHPOT

On 06/07/2023 at 10:36, dondplayer said:

That's right same for me - I was thinking yesterday how come I had the original but that's why

My Speccy was 2nd hand, my Dad bought it off his boss's son... it had about 45 games with it, - as far as i'm aware the Speccy never came packaged with Mad Martha as a brand new computer. - Someone correct me if i'm wrong tho... :)

Cheers,

Gary.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 20:15, MPU_FIVE said:

My Speccy was 2nd hand, my Dad bought it off his boss's son... it had about 45 games with it, - as far as i'm aware the Speccy never came packaged with Mad Martha as a brand new computer. - Someone correct me if i'm wrong tho... :)

Cheers,

Gary.

Never aware of an "official" package, but smaller shows may have done their own deals and back then it was "part of the original bundle".

Think how Game used to add games to the Playstation console packages to get your "bundle".

• Like 1

From the ZX Spectrum Wiki page ...

From August 1982,[125] the ZX Spectrum came bundled with a software starter pack in the form of a cassette tape entitled Horizons: Software Starter Pack,[126] which included 8 programs: Thro' the Wall (a Breakout clone), Bubblesort, Evolution (an ecosystem of foxes and rabbits), Life (an implementation of Conway's Game of Life), Draw (a basic object-based drawing utility), Monte Carlo (a simulation of the rolling of two dice), Character Generator (for editing user defined graphics) and Beating of Waves (plots the sum of two sine waves)

As Reg says I'm sure there were promotional sales including one or more other games too.

Your box will be CASHPOT

21 minutes ago, dondplayer said:

From the ZX Spectrum Wiki page ...

From August 1982,[125] the ZX Spectrum came bundled with a software starter pack in the form of a cassette tape entitled Horizons: Software Starter Pack,[126] which included 8 programs: Thro' the Wall (a Breakout clone), Bubblesort, Evolution (an ecosystem of foxes and rabbits), Life (an implementation of Conway's Game of Life), Draw (a basic object-based drawing utility), Monte Carlo (a simulation of the rolling of two dice), Character Generator (for editing user defined graphics) and Beating of Waves (plots the sum of two sine waves)

As Reg says I'm sure there were promotional sales including one or more other games too.

Yes - the original Spectrum came with that Horizons tape, a couple of books, some leads (to connect to your TV and a tape deck) and a power supply.

A bit later on Sinclair bundled more software with it including Chequered flag (motor racing), Chess, Scrabble, Make-a-chip [design logic circuits], VU-3D [a rubbish 3D designer] and Tasword 2 [a word processor]. I think they were trying to make the spectrum look like a more rounded computer than just something for the kids to play games on.

Of course, lots of stores will have done there own deals to shift units. Particularly after the launch debacle which saw WHSmiths getting hundreds of machines returned to them because they didn't work properly and the Sinclair name was mud for a while.

Oh, there is still a thriving Speccy community out there.

S

Who remembers typing in Krazy Katapilla as one of his first experiences of Fruit Machine Simulation

image.png.53345bc56c3731814ac155cbe6672f38.png

Not seen this one before either.

My first Spectrum experience was the Horizons tape around my mum friends house. I remember when it said press a key to continue. And I didn't, so got the error message. Which to a 13 year old me, I thought was great.

Got my first Spectrum soon after and it came with just the horizons tape and leads/manual. Although Whsmiths, did include a couple of games with it at the time, nothing official, just their own bundle.