Hello everyone newbie here just trying to learn how to design my first layout

partee

Hello everyone, newbie here just trying to learn how to design my first layout, but i don't really have the starting point, can anyone help me with  just a little advice on what files do i new to start, and also what games are easier to start with? also i want to thank  andy-1 that point me to this awesome book MFME for New Designers but i have to wait a little bit to download it, i can't wait to download it and start working on it 😄

Edited by partee

The easiest way to learn, is to follow the layout creation in the book TBH.

After about 16 years, it was how I finally learnt how to create a layout and have done 50+ since.

As for what machine to start with, well TBH, there's not a huge amount left, that hasn't already been done.

But it's best to start with a machine on a technology, that has good test modes, such as Epoch. Those test modes, will indicate, what symbols are on the reels and will name what is written on the lamps, such as 1 Nudge etc....

At first, you may need to look at other people's layouts on the same technology to see some other settings, if the machine, you are creating is alarming.

But if like me, when I started out, you don't have the first idea, the book is or similar to get started.

Perhaps @Reg will send you the book or allow it to be sent to you in a PM, because of this on the download page for it " I do not give permission for this to be hosted or shared in any form apart from direct download and you are downloading this on the understanding that you will not post / share this elsewhere."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, wearecity said:

The easiest way to learn, is to follow the layout creation in the book TBH.

After about 16 years, it was how I finally learnt how to create a layout and have done 50+ since.

As for what machine to start with, well TBH, there's not a huge amount left, that hasn't already been done.

But it's best to start with a machine on a technology, that has good test modes, such as Epoch. Those test modes, will indicate, what symbols are on the reels and will name what is written on the lamps, such as 1 Nudge etc....

At first, you may need to look at other people's layouts on the same technology to see some other settings, if the machine, you are creating is alarming.

But if like me, when I started out, you don't have the first idea, the book is or similar to get started.

Perhaps @Reg will send you the book or allow it to be sent to you in a PM, because of this on the download page for it " I do not give permission for this to be hosted or shared in any form apart from direct download and you are downloading this on the understanding that you will not post / share this elsewhere."

50+ congrats that is a really great accomplishment and also a satisfaction because not just anybody can say i did 50+ layouts that is awesome, and yes i defenitely need that book so i can start seeing what are the basics and start to figuring things out you know, because right now i don't really have a clue lol, like this you mantioned ---> "The easiest way to learn, is to follow the layout creation in the book TBH" i don't know what's the "TBH/Epoch" lol and things like that i am a fast learner once i found a starting point, and to be honest there isn't to much information about this on google so yes i really need that book 😃 

Edited by partee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, vectra666 said:

Long time ago but I learnt the basics from a guide by hitthesix and Ross although I had massive help from the other excellent creators at the time

tommy c, ploggy, dad, pook, ady the list is endless all the best imo. Still get help to this day and I’ve made 599 so far…. 

599!😮 Jesus Christ on a bike!

Fair play. I'm thinking of doing more European machines, flyers and decent images are plentiful, but it's finding the European classics etc.🤔 Is there any sites you know of that deals with the European stuff more? 

• Like 1

The book is an excellent guide but doesn't touch on making DX's, just the mechanics of building a classic.   Back in the day when I first started I just pulled existing layouts to bits to see what made them tick.  Its the best way to learn IMHO.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, dad said:

The book is an excellent guide but doesn't touch on making DX's, just the mechanics of building a classic.   Back in the day when I first started I just pulled existing layouts to bits to see what made them tick.  Its the best way to learn IMHO.

i see yes that's exactly what i need i want to start from scratch not trying to rush anything because i don't want to miss anything i want to take one step at the time even though it takes me time thank's for the reply 🙂

23 minutes ago, partee said:

i see yes that's exactly what i need i want to start from scratch not trying to rush anything because i don't want to miss anything i want to take one step at the time even though it takes me time thank's for the reply 🙂

And Photoshop, for me that was the biggest learning curve, so definitely watch some tutorials if you are new to it. Starting off probably best just finding an image which is already nicely proportioned and doesn't need manipulation and then you can focus on lamping effects. Unless you are already accustomed to Photoshop and then you'll be up and running in no time.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ze Frog said:

And Photoshop, for me that was the biggest learning curve, so definitely watch some tutorials if you are new to it. Starting off probably best just finding an image which is already nicely proportioned and doesn't need manipulation and then you can focus on lamping effects. Unless you are already accustomed to Photoshop and then you'll be up and running in no time.

Yes you're right, i have to start learning photoshop also, but yes all and all looking good and looking foward to learn alot from you guys thank you all for your good vibes, right now i am just waiting 2 more days to download the book and start my journey... 😀

Edited by partee
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, partee said:

Yes you're right, i have to start learning photoshop also, but yes all and all looking good and looking foward to learn alot from you guys thank you all for your good vibes, right now i am just waiting 2 more days to download the book and start my journey... 😀

Good on you, it's nice to see someone else wanting to give it a go. You'll get there, I'm dire on a computer and still manage to produce passable layouts. If you ever want an image enlarged or to see if it can be tidied up, send it in a PM and I'll run it through Vance A.I. It's no magic bullet,but it can make an image a lot clearer sometimes.🙂

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ze Frog said:

Good on you, it's nice to see someone else wanting to give it a go. You'll get there, I'm dire on a computer and still manage to produce passable layouts. If you ever want an image enlarged or to see if it can be tidied up, send it in a PM and I'll run it through Vance A.I. It's no magic bullet,but it can make an image a lot clearer sometimes.🙂

That will so much easier for me at this point that i am just starting off, if you can do that yes please thank's in advance