Desert Island Retro

Retro Game System

serene02

I have a mame cab, but I’m looking for maybe a retro system with games covering arcade and earlier consoles, so MAME, SNES, Sega etc.  I’m looking for something already pre configured with roms and a nice front end and pre-built that can plug in to my TV so I don’t have to do a lot of configuring.  It needs to play all games well enough to enjoy, especially some of my favourite arcade games like Mortal Kombat etc.

Does such a unit already exist?

I have looked at the Pandora boxes but not sure what kind of boards/pc they are equipped with, need something more top end.

Any ideas are appreciated ;)

J

Edited by serene02

Hey serene02 have you ever considered one of these , a Miyoo mini https://youtu.be/rpNSzOxHKMI   Maybe not quite what you're looking for, as unfortunately the device doesn't seem to have a TV out , but it's a pretty cool device regardless. I wouldn't say no to one. Retro core on YouTube does review other retro devices as he lives in Japan, he tells you if their any good or if their,  quote " cheap (insert country here) knock offs " :end of quote.

TBH, it's a bit of a minefield when it comes to these sorts of things.

You'll never get a perfect device. There's always something that isn't 100% emulated correctly or certain games, that will be totally unplayable.

On the surface it's simply plug and play, but in reality, it's never that simple.

But having said that, if you are happy that 90% of stuff, will generally work and be completely playable, then there are some great cheap devices out there.

This video is excellent for explaining things.

Edited by wearecity
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I’ve decided to just get some semi decent pc components and build into a slim console type case that way I can have it run pretty much anything ;)

Maybe my question could have been worded better as I think I’m after an all in one frontend fully loaded already with roms, no setup required.

I do have Big Box license but I just don’t want to mess around configuring stuff.  I guess I want a plug and play pre configured install…. I don’t want Hyper Spin though, it’s just too bloated.

J

4 hours ago, serene02 said:

Yeah, I’ve decided to just get some semi decent pc components and build into a slim console type case that way I can have it run pretty much anything ;)

Maybe my question could have been worded better as I think I’m after an all in one frontend fully loaded already with roms, no setup required.

I do have Big Box license but I just don’t want to mess around configuring stuff.  I guess I want a plug and play pre configured install…. I don’t want Hyper Spin though, it’s just too bloated.

J

That is an issue, with multi emulation.

You do really need to cherry pick what you want and set it up yourself.

Or you end up with dozens of Japanese language rpg games and 10 versions of the same game with foreign variants. 

Some of the systems in the video above, would have come with a front end, emulators and games already on them and set up.

Myself I look on YouTube for a system, then look for an emulators for it and then look at videos of top 50 games, a certain genre or hidden gems for that system. Of course if it comes to something I've owned, I'll know some games I want. 

Then I move onto the next and build up my collection gradually.

I'm into Wii, Dreamcast and Gamecube emulation at the moment.

I've got a Hyperspin collection, I don't use it the way intended.

But it came with some many roms, I can generally just transfer a game I want to my much smaller collection, without the need to source it and download it.

• Like 1