Desert Island Retro

Happy birthday ZX spectrum

eagle64

To be honest there are so many great games, it'll be impossible to select just 6.

You need different lists really.

They seem to have gone for those that they felt push the Spectrum to it's limits. 

I never liked those Head over Heels type games, always found the controls awkward and trying to jump onto items difficult to assess correctly.

• Like 1

I got my Spectrum 48K one Xmas in the early 80s just as they were starting to become popular - on the good side I learned BASIC and some Z80 assembler thanks to this - and soon built up a large collection of games.

I'm not sure why now but after a few years I gave up on it and sold it on - probably the pub was starting to call 🤣

I have to assume Chase HQ, Head Over Heels and Lords of Midnight were newer as I've never heard of them.

Jetpac, Skool Daze and Deathchase - classics 👍

• Like 1

Your box will be CASHPOT

Manic Miner was a groundbreaking game, the first game to have in game music, which was deemed impossible at the time.  Such an important title for any Spectrum best of.   If any software house pushed the Spectrum hardware limits it has to be Ultimate with Knightlore back in 1984, jaw dropping visuals for the time, nothing really came close, though 3D Ant Attack was probably the first isometric game prior to this.

J

• Like 1