My first fruit cabinet

flippertje

Yesterday a few of the ordered buttons arrived. So far only the white ones. So I was right off this afternoon but connected a bit. Now try to make some stickers for the buttons with a hobby laser machine. That is not quite easy. Especially because the buttons are upright and therefore less space for the letters. Hope the colored buttons arrive soon, because I don't have enough buttons yet. I also ordered an LED controller, because it would be nice if the lights were on at the right time.

IMG_20210226_162756.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@flippertje - this looks fantastic, pretty much exactly what I'm going to try to achieve on my build.  Did you think about using a touch screen instead of a monitor?  Adds about £100 to the build cost, so I'm undecided whether its worthwhile.  I will definitely add physical buttons for cancel/hold/feature/start but would be nice to use touchscreen for any extra buttons in the layouts.

When I started this project I hadn't thought about a touchscreen yet. Actually, this was also a trial and I had the monitor left. I have now discovered that I miss a few buttons with some layouts, or that the description of the buttons is not quite correct. So if I'm going to make a version 2.0 again, I will definitely consider a touchscreen. But I think real buttons are part of it. I also found out that I may have made the case a bit too small, as I now have little room for a hopper. But I'm just going to try.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Timpharrison said:

@flippertje - this looks fantastic, pretty much exactly what I'm going to try to achieve on my build.  Did you think about using a touch screen instead of a monitor?  Adds about £100 to the build cost, so I'm undecided whether its worthwhile.  I will definitely add physical buttons for cancel/hold/feature/start but would be nice to use touchscreen for any extra buttons in the layouts.

I have added a touch screen to mine, works great! Only got 9 actual buttons, two of those won't really be machine buttons.

• Like 2

https://www.facebook.com/groups/264122764904452/?epa=SEARCH_BOX

Fruit Machine Discussion - Facebook Group. Please Join!

I'm going to base my cabinet on this MDF shell from eBay.  I will request no button holes in the control panel and will drill these myself.  I'm planning to go for 8 buttons which should be fine considering I will have a touchscreen.  Will also add buttons elsewhere on the cab for coin in and service buttons.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PLAYER-RETRO-VERTICAL-ARCADE-MACHINE-DIY-FLAT-PACK-KIT-18mm-MDF/143769437426?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by Timpharrison

6 minutes ago, spa said:

But the screen may even change again as one of my other digis has stopped working, and the touch screen is a bit bigger. So if that can't be sorted, that will go in.

My gosh just seen Test Pilot - that was my absolute favourite as a kid!  It was actually the thing that got me into the emu scene, as I wanted to play it again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...