Got myself some Pac buttons but what other ones do I need?

jimmycoupe

I am looking to build myself a generic fruit machine controller.  I have bought the I-Pac controller and Pacdrive along with a set of Pac-man fruit machine buttons.  I have also picked up a coin button.  My question is what other buttons do I need for a generic controller?  I have attached a picture of the buttons I have bought 🙂.

Pac Buttons.jpg

• Like 1

You can run up to 16 buttons on the pacdrive (ie lit up/flashing). That should cover most machines. The buttons can be configured in MFME to match each individual machine. You'll never match every machine exactly to what you have printed on the buttons! You can always have extra unlit buttons too, the ipac should cover that ok. I'd probably add another hold button for the club machines and you can change the inserts if you wish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmycoupe said:

Thanks for the help Dave thats a good call on another Hold button.  Is MFME already setup for the pacdrive or do i need to do anything special to get the lights working?

I might be jumping ahead of myself here but if I wanted to use real money what would I need for the payout system to work?

Hi , 

You will need a parallel hopper this is the one i got of Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255305399790?hash=item3b71633dee:g:8mgAAOSwKpphzdg3

also im using this type of coin mec 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224843021718?hash=item3459b03d96:g:uw0AAOSw17VevCf3

I used these for connections to the hopper and the coin Mec

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224448044824?var=523232367504

It is also important as i find out that the hopper shares the same ground with your pc/laptop if not the coins will not pay out.

There are quite of few diagrams in the cabinet build thread for the wiring of these

Edited by cja272

5 hours ago, Road Hog Mad said:

Also 5v led bulbs and not 12v that's probably in them

Good call on the 12v bulb, I do have a bag of 5v bulbs somewhere.

2 hours ago, cja272 said:

Hi , 

You will need a parallel hopper this is the one i got of Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255305399790?hash=item3b71633dee:g:8mgAAOSwKpphzdg3

also im using this type of coin mec 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224843021718?hash=item3459b03d96:g:uw0AAOSw17VevCf3

I used these for connections to the hopper and the coin Mec

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224448044824?var=523232367504

It is also important as i find out that the hopper shares the same ground with your pc/laptop if not the coins will not pay out.

There are quite of few diagrams in the cabinet build thread for the wiring of these

Thanks for the help and links, really appreciated.  The parts are very reasonably priced as well.  I will get researching on these cabinet build pages and do some swatting up 🙂

Edited by jimmycoupe
  • Like 1

I would really like a vinyl wrap once the controller is finished, I normally use Rockstar arcade for my arcade cabinet wraps but I know Paul won't have anything for fruit machines.  Does anyone know if there is a multi-cade style artwork out there for fruit machines?  anyone have any good ideas for a wrap otherwise? 

Thanks for the kind comments :-).  Wiring is now done and and 2 fruit machines have been configured to the pacdrive and the result is far greater than I expected,  MFME is totally amazing and I love how easy it makes configuring the pacdrive and the flexability it allows.  

Next, a single USB solution for the rear, fit another pacdrive for the other couple of lights, replace the "Change Game" button for "Auto Nudge" and fit another "Hold" for club cabinets and move the shuffle button to one of the white arcade buttons that are being used for place markers at the moment.  I also need to replace the yellow arcade buttons for proper hi and low buttons. 

Anyone know of a good cheap place for buying 5V LED bulbs? Aliexpress only seem to sell 5V in white for sub 1000 amounts, ArcadeWorld is the cheapest place I have found in the UK at 55p per bulb and eBay just dont go there unless you like to be spanked for a 5V LED.

Once completed I am going to create a how to with parts, measurements, configuration and a youtube video for others.

Wiring.jpg

• Like 2

Latest update on the controller, Hi and Lo buttons added, another Pacdrive fitted, hub fitted inside of case along with a USB feed through panel mount for a single lead  solution for the rear.  Outstanding, add a auto nudge button and one more to replace the other white button place marker.  Maybe a Nudge Up button?

Hub.png

rear.png

Finished.png

Edited by jimmycoupe
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Yes, you need a pacdrive that can run up to  16 buttons.  Really easy to use and setup with MFME.  I am sure you will be able to see how it works when you get going on it but if you get stuck them give me a shout. If it helps with confidence the pacdrive and the zero delay dont talk to one another and MFME deals with the magic.

Edited by jimmycoupe

• 2 weeks later...

When I get home from work I will give you a shout on here and will ask for a couple of screenshots and then I will tell you what is going on hopefully :-).  Fear not we will get it sorted for you.  Sadly no messenger, I use discord as I am heavily into sim racing and can be found flying round world tracks under name MrBTCC :-).  Sorry I wasn't around sooner but we had a league race last night that is always all consuming.  Solid 7th place finish seeing me 5th in the league.  Sorry you probably think I'm utterly nuts 🙂 lol.

Just an observation as I will need to look at the machine and your config to see the issue but after reading this a couple of times I think it could be something to do with a machine having 2 flash light codes for a single button.  Some machines have 2 codes, say Collect and Cancel is a combined button, sometimes the developer will use 2 light codes, one for cancel and one for collect.  I think this could well be the issue but lets have a look later and see.  I will download " crazy fruits ( red )" when home and will take a look to see if we have the 2 light codes in play.  Don't worry at the moment if this doesnt make sense.

Edited by jimmycoupe

Before you start:

Draw a cross reference zero delay/ pac drive id map based on your setup.  Here is mine to help you understand.  I am using a i-Pac instead of a zero delay.  The bottom row of a button is my i-pac socket the button is wired to, then middle row is the key I programmed my i-pac to be, top row is the pac drive id number the button is wired to.  Please take note on my map the top 2 buttons coin and quit are not wired to the pac drive hence no top row id number.  So in total I have 18 pac drive id's.  Next I will show how I would configure this table to my map.

MFME i-Pac pacdrive map.png

Edited by jimmycoupe
  • Like 1

Ok, I have just sat and configured Crazy Fruit Red WDX to my i-pac and pacdrive setup.  This is what it looks like.  Use my key map (above) to understand the configuration below.  No double lamp codes or anything off beat so pretty simple one to configure.  I hope this makes sense and let me know if you need any further understanding with what's going on here and I will do my best to explain but hopefully it does make sense :-).

Crazy Fruit Red WDX.PNG

• Like 1