£10 Challenge - DX V.4

(1 review)

1 Screenshot

About This File

£10 Challenge DX.

Thanks to Ploggy, Troutman & Bugs Bunny for the classic.

Thanks to John Parker for help with the images. 

Shortcuts

` = Pass;
1 = Select 1;
2 = Select 2;
3 = Select 3;
4 = Select 4;
C = Continue;
Space = Start;
W = Take Win;
B = Take Bank.

Sadly I didn't have much to work with image wise (and this certainly isn't some of my finest work), but it is quite playable and I may try a re-draw in the future (unless some who actually knows what they are doing fancies giving it a crack - you know it makes sense - and it would certainly make John Parker and I happy)!

This layout certainly won't win any awards (graphics/lamping wise), I was in two minds whether to even upload it to DIF but as it the closest thing we currently have to a DX I hope the nostalgia factor makes up for my lack of skills.

What's New in Version V.4   See changelog

Released

This version comes with better buttons (thanks Spa), and clearer wording on the right of the top glass.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 1

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Ah I used to play this in Jersey airport.  It was (as far as I could tell) true skill.  There were barely any machines on Jersey and no fruit machines at all.  However this was £40 jackpot (or maybe 50 jackpot?) rather than £10.  There were squares on the trail that gave bonuses (extra life, boost, stuff like that I think).  I'm not sure how terrible people were at it, but the first one I could take out fairly reliably despite it being strategically placed under a dozen glaring strip lights.  The second jackpot was a lot harder, getting notably faster before it got to any cash squares which made getting dozens right in a row much harder. 

Great job here, with very few resources. I just got a massive trip down memory lane with this. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

On 15/01/2024 at 09:44, Graham the goldfish said:

Ah I used to play this in Jersey airport.  It was (as far as I could tell) true skill.  There were barely any machines on Jersey and no fruit machines at all.  However this was £40 jackpot (or maybe 50 jackpot?) rather than £10.  There were squares on the trail that gave bonuses (extra life, boost, stuff like that I think).  I'm not sure how terrible people were at it, but the first one I could take out fairly reliably despite it being strategically placed under a dozen glaring strip lights.  The second jackpot was a lot harder, getting notably faster before it got to any cash squares which made getting dozens right in a row much harder. 

This might have been Who Wants To Be A Millionaire themed. I don't remember the name of it though!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jolt-Z said:

This might have been Who Wants To Be A Millionaire themed. I don't remember the name of it though!

I think you're right.  It might have been called who wants to be a zillionare?  Although I would guess the same manufacturer.  The layout with the cards at the bottom and the 3d pyramid trail on the top glass were exactly like this.

Edited by Graham the goldfish

I am sure it was called   zillionaire's challenge by pure leisure, and the jackpot was £25.

there should be a classic of it somewhere.(maybe in the legacy section?)

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 12:26, hitthesix said:

I am sure it was called   zillionaire's challenge by pure leisure, and the jackpot was £25.

there should be a classic of it somewhere.(maybe in the legacy section?)

Holy smokes, it's another queen game! :)  Was indeed in legacy section:

image.png.767296b7a1d26d88e40c3bca2fb14673.png

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Yep that's the one! It might have been a £25er, but I remember if being more. Is there any chance Jersey had a different Jackpot, like the Isle of Man has its own all cash rom chips?

Queen image from the video - so at least I won't need to be doing 3d modelling for this one! ;)   Couldn't see any roms unfortunately, I did have a poke around...

image.png.03653a2e1b50dd859fc6d92e47034bcb.png

I couldn't find anything either but the following comment from riche100 over at the mecca got me thinking there may be one floating around: 'alan road runner has dumped my rom and will stick in downloads, soon as he can for anyone interested'.

Edited by Jamie28J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie28J said:

I couldn't find anything either but the following comment from riche100 over at the mecca got me thinking there may be one floating around: 'alan road runner has dumped my rom and will stick in downloads, soon as he can for anyone interested'.

I looked at all RoadRunner's uploads, none of them were the rom unfortunately - I see you added a comment over there, maybe they'll turn up.

In the meantime, there's always even more queen games lol ;) 

image.thumb.png.55235689c1db3eac9b9cdf50906bdfba.png

image.thumb.png.8677b8b753e2958d273dfd1cf5eed83e.png

image.png.1bfd5c4390391e544a1fb8cc9ef0f567.pngimage.png.59f784a70f243037ad0bcc26f5e2e8f1.png

LOL - that is hilarious - I don't know who is more 'queen game' obsessed me or you!  I think you take the Crown for nearly breaking into an old warehouse to get a few snaps.

• Haha 1

I have just added some new buttons (Thanks Spa), and cleared up a bit of the wording in the top right - V.4 now in downloads. 

2 hours ago, Jamie28J said:

I have just added some new buttons (Thanks Spa), and cleared up a bit of the wording in the top right - V.4 now in downloads. 

Woohoo nice one @Jamie28J and @spa! :) 

• Like 2

On the subject of queen machines I have been trying to hunt down the roms for beat the dealer on the Mecca but sadly no luck yet. I am still waiting for a couple of messages back. Shame as there are some good images to work with.

Edited by Jamie28J
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spa said:

Would Joker Poker and clones run on mfme?

Do you mean one of these three similar video poker games?

image.thumb.png.880aba165ee7ec0743db6924ba4f5137.png

image.png.fce7333146c3da7393f708f3fbff22df.png

image.png.d50df5183ba4a083f30f0b4cd94d0689.png

None of them have the standard 'fruit machine prefixes' to the ROM names, someone could have a bash though, rom names are in the MAME window titles in the screenshots above.

Edited by johnparker007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, spa said:

Would Joker Poker and clones run on mfme?

Do you mean this one ?

IMG_1049.png

• Like 2