Can i make DX layouts using Gimp instead of Photoshop?

MPU_FIVE

Hi, does anyone else use Gimp to make DX's with or is Photoshop a must have?

Have always fancied having a go, but don't want to pay for Photoshop as i don't know if i will ever actually be any good at it. I have no artistic skills for a start!

I saw a Youtube video about Gimp 2.10.0 which has recently been released and the video was describing it as being pretty close to Photoshop...

10 years ago i made a bodged up classic layout of Daylight Robbery, and would like a dabble at layout creation again.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

All the best, Gary.

There aren't many DX'ers in this scene anymore, I'd say most use some version of Photoshop.  So if you are looking for possible future help when creating a DX, it's probably a good idea to use a version of that...   but you could try GIMP, it will most likely be set out in a similar way, or even use paint.

J

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

i have photoshop cs4 it was "given" to me so free i did upload it to mega nz but can get on it at the mo maybe when i do i could link it to here

<<< REMOVED >>>

Reg if not allowed please delete the link

Keep stuff like this in PM's thank you.

This is a publically searchable forum - what is said and done in private is literally that private and your own business.

Note I am not actually angry, but going down this route is not one I want to take with publically shared links to stuff like this.

Thank you.

• Like 1

You can't actually purchase any versions of CS from Adobe any longer, at least not in the UK.  It's all Creative Cloud.   I got a second hand CS5 from ebay with installation disk etc for around £80.   I then purchased a CS6 upgrade fairly cheaply.

J

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, A:E said:

You can't actually purchase any versions of CS from Adobe any longer, at least not in the UK.  It's all Creative Cloud.   I got a second hand CS5 from ebay with installation disk etc for around £80.   I then purchased a CS6 upgrade fairly cheaply.

J

Cool... maybe i shall do that too... cheers A:E

22 hours ago, vectra666 said:

i have photoshop cs4 it was "given" to me so free i did upload it to mega nz but can get on it at the mo maybe when i do i could link it to here

<<< REMOVED >>>

Reg if not allowed please delete the link

Thank you anyway, Vectra :)

So it is looking like Photoshop is the way to go then... nobody has used Gimp for FME by look of it.

Thank you all for your input! :):):)

Edited by MPU_FIVE
Add more content...

• 1 month later...

Yes, Photoshop is a bit expensive, but i got a 2012 Cs2 version for as little as €10 with the original key.

(found it at a sale clearance dirt cheap) A few years later i was offered an upgrade to Photoshop CC 2015 version

for as little as €85, and i'm still using that one. (maybe Adobe offers me an upgrade again ?