PAC connecting Compact Hopper

appstrader

Hi,

I am trying to wire a compact hopper with 24v 0v opto supply and coin count output

SmartSelect_20210630-114715_Drive.thumb.jpg.81c18b9845b478c1cc3c699f5f96b029.jpg

I will be running the hopper with 12v as I used these hoppers before with 12v without issues, 

Its a parallel hopper and just want to know the easy was to wire this to my Pac controller and what settings I should use in mfme to drive the hopper, basically I need a high or a low but I believe the led controller does 5v out.

Hope someone has a simple fix, 

pac.jpg

Edited by appstrader

1302030681_fruitbarnewlogo.png.b4072d66bdb5dfc556f436340bf9fce5.png 

MFME & MAME Frontend software https://fruitcade.co.uk

The Pacdrive and Ipac send out a 5V signal. I use 5V relays to run my 220v and 110v hoppers and 12v opto sensors. I posted a diagram somewhere recently.

Found the post 

Edited by Amusements
added post link
  • Awesome 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

2 hours ago, Amusements said:

The Pacdrive and Ipac send out a 5V signal. I use 5V relays to run my 220v and 110v hoppers and 12v opto sensors. I posted a diagram somewhere recently.

Found the post 

Thanks for the post it confirmed what i was thinking of doing luckily I had 1 single relay for my coin mech and a double relay which im now using one side for the hopper, 

I do have a couple of questions, 

Currently I have a relay coming off the pac unit on pin 16 if i test on opto the hopper will spin, the relay is currently making the 0v I presume I need to move this over the the opto so that makes it spin with an input hi or low, etc.

Do I need to use the coin count or will mfme make it spin until it gets a return from the hopper ?

If i need a return is that a case of sending a shortcut to mfme to say the coin has been given ?  How would you suggest this passed back to mfme?

From memory these hopper will stop once the number of pulses has been dispensed the matching number of coins but its been a while since I played around with one of these hoppers but i could be wrong.....

I have a few parallel compact hoppers mk2, 10p blue disc but it does pass pound coins ok and certainly works ok on the test.

My last questsion is what address would I find the hoppers for the settings in mfme pac id 16?  maybe someone could post a pic of the settings for hoppers.

Many thanks, 

2 hours ago, Amusements said:

MFME uses a square left bracket input on the iPac to signal a coin out on hopper 1, and a right bracket for an opto output on hopper 2.

Thanks for your patience, Amusements,

The PAC unit i have only has outputs, so in mfme output 16 opto hopper to opto supply on the hopper or do i still need a relay ?

Not quite sure where I use the brackets, i presume that is in the pac config where you normally put an lamp number ?

Not set this up before so i'm just trying to figure it out, 

Also the other week i setup my lamps on one layout now I load the rom and the pac layout has changed  a bit strange....

6 hours ago, appstrader said:

The PAC unit i have only has outputs, so in mfme output 16 opto hopper to opto supply on the hopper or do i still need a relay ?

Yes, you need a 5v relay to convert the 5v Pacdrive output, in to physical connection. In other words you break the circuit in your 12V hopper and use the relay output to reconnect it.

6 hours ago, appstrader said:

Not quite sure where I use the brackets, i presume that is in the pac config where you normally put an lamp number ?

You need to use an Ipac for the hopper opto and button inputs. This is what generates  MFME keyboard presses.

7 hours ago, Amusements said:

Yes, you need a 5v relay to convert the 5v Pacdrive output, in to physical connection. In other words you break the circuit in your 12V hopper and use the relay output to reconnect it.

You need to use an Ipac for the hopper opto and button inputs. This is what generates  MFME keyboard presses.

I have lots of spare inputs on a few joystick controllers and I use joykey so I just need to operate a relay once the coin has been passed which will send a joystick button converted by joykey to a keyboard key as a bracket for mfme to know the coin has been passed

I have the relay operating on opto in the pac settings when i press opto test the hopper runs, not sure what settings to put in there to make it fire in a game though,

Hope this all makes sense...

I have never used the "Hopper Opto" settings in MFME, so I can not comment.

Personally I always use output 15 for "Hopper 2, and output 16 for "Hopper 1", and fill in the [Multiplier] box.
- MFME does the rest. When you collect a win, the hopper will spin until the correct number of brackets are generated via your opto>relay>joykey.

Hopper 1 opto has to generate a "[" bracket and hopper 2 opto has to generate a "]" bracket to count the coins out.

For older machines that used tube payouts.
I use output 15 for "Triac -> Hopper 2, and output 16 for  "Triac -> Hopper 1" and fill in the  [Triac] and [Multiplier] box accordingly.

6 hours ago, Amusements said:

I have never used the "Hopper Opto" settings in MFME, so I can not comment.

Personally I always use output 15 for "Hopper 2, and output 16 for "Hopper 1", and fill in the [Multiplier] box.
- MFME does the rest. When you collect a win, the hopper will spin until the correct number of brackets are generated via your opto>relay>joykey.

Hopper 1 opto has to generate a "[" bracket and hopper 2 opto has to generate a "]" bracket to count the coins out.

For older machines that used tube payouts.
I use output 15 for "Triac -> Hopper 2, and output 16 for  "Triac -> Hopper 1" and fill in the  [Triac] and [Multiplier] box accordingly.

Excellent that makes complete sense I'm only using one hopper currently mainly due to no coin sorting with a chinese coin mech.

The only thing I need to do now is take a feed off my hopper coin out opto to a relay to a arcade controller input and use joy2key to send a bracket.

Nothing is ever simple, 

One hopper the opto sensor didnt seem to work, second hopper the opto output i can see the pulses on the relay board as the led lights but the relay doesnt click long enough for the keyboard character to be sent, any ideals on a simple fix?

Apart from writing a pcb board to take care of the opto pulses and controlling the relay to stay closed longer to get a keypress ?

Having spent some time on this issue today, I am left with a few problems if anyone can assist feel free to post away.

So my pac controller fires all outputs as soon as i start the machine, it will only close down the outputs when mfme loads

My hopper opto fires as soon I start the hopper and although I have a 10p hopper if i put 10p's in the hopper it will not give me all the [ brackets per coin, sometimes its better then others I was think the pulse is not long enough but the pulse relay board im using does appear to flash with the correct pulses when a coin passes the hopper

The only option I have now is to up the voltage on the hopper as its currently on 12v and can go up to 24v.

Money Controls Compact Hopper

Like I said happy for anyone to post and solutions.

21 minutes ago, appstrader said:

So my pac controller fires all outputs as soon as i start the machine, it will only close down the outputs when mfme loads

When you ordered the pac drive did you order the special version ,not 100% sure perhaps someone else will clarify this also but if I remember the normal version has outputs on when powered up and special has outputs off.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ginge said:

When you ordered the pac drive did you order the special version ,not 100% sure perhaps someone else will clarify this also but if I remember the normal version has outputs on when powered up and special has outputs off.

Ah never knew that but i was aware of the id numbering....

• 10 months later...

I wrote some special software for the hopper and also using the pac device that has power on on boot up which is actually the wrong one.  The ideal is the custom software gets the pulse output and takes care of the dispensed coins so once the coins have paid out it will send the character to mfme so everything is basically taken care out with the software handling everything rather than relying on this device or that device where the pulse times are not quite correct and give false payments.

I actually have to reinstall my machine and set everything up its one of my to do jobs, I really need to update my mfme roms and fruitbar themes too.