Curiousity and maybe stupid question needs answering re: home builds

woodsy

When it comes to home builds, and there are some really good examples that i've seen by you guys. It's my impression and i'm just a man on the street with no ownership or arcade experience besides playing and such so this is probably one for any arcade owners staff etc..

when we rent a video the copyright warning reads similar to only for home use no public viewing etc 

i know the reason the fruits almost died out are because the licenses made it pointless for take away's and cafes to have them etc. whether thats good/bad not my point and for another day. But my query is around those rules and restrictions and how they work with mfme and home builds being used by other people and furthermore the public in a hypothetical query that i hope makes enough sense to get an answer.

are these all restricted for home use only under the same licenses an arcade would be having to pay for public use? iirc the license is for the category of machine but is it per machine or does it cover any amount of games? the thought i had was is it ever a possibility of having one in the pub in some parameter? I mean its similar to the nowadays video cabinets with multiple games on one unit, what would be the difference in the dream world this comes from, say like mr p's has a collection of 100 games, a mfme cab has the exact same 100 games, what is the difference to the licensing restriction? I'm assuming its to do with the software mfme and the copyright of the original manufacturers for each game? 

I'm just daydreaming of course but wouldn't it be great if instead of these s16 things in the pubs we had collections like our own wired and licenced? 

fyi any doubters i fully adhere to the rules of mfme, and have no intention of public or private copyright infringement or profiting etc (OBVIOUSLY)

Is there any manufacturers still out there? besides reflex, perhaps they have a suggestion board and like it's said it's a daydream. I do recall seeing rollercoaster on one of these video game things but that was years ago and never seen anymore like that.

does all that make sense enough to get the answer for my question? is there a possibility that in the future if there was a rule allowing for it and such, is it within the law and subsequently licensing criteria to put a mfme cabinet in the public arena. obviously it's not something i'm planning or anything of the sort but if it's all possible and the future for fruits looks bleak my dream side would like to believe i'd make it happen although it never would haha..

living the dream

Absolutely no chance of that happening.  So many copyright infringements and company IP, not to mention trying to cash in on what is essentially a free to use software in mfme.  Mfme info outlines terms of use.

Mame could be a possibility (if all machine rights have been acquired) as it’s open source but it would have to be a derivative build and require a considerable amount of work put in to get it fruit machine ready for the end user.

It would be pretty awesome though ;)

J

• Like 1