New cabinet build from a beginner

Psycon

Hi everyone.

I am going to build a cabinet but want to get all the mechanics setup before I do this. 

I have read through the forums and so far have a list as follows.

I-pac

Pacdrive special

Cashflow 126 dfx coin mech

Azkoyen parallel hopper

Buttons

I will first get the pacdrive and I-pac and buttons and see if I can wire them up first. 

I should be getting a pc with a 42 inch screen which I will work into the design. 

I have no idea how to wire the pac drive to the buttons yet. If someone can point me in the right direction for how they are wired. Must be one circuit for the led's and another circuit for the button press?

Am looking forward to building this 😀 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amusements said:

I would find some you like, and contact the seller. Ask them if they will also run on 5v. I have bought many that said they were 12v, and they all run fine on 5v.

I have found a site that you can buy all the switches and LED's separate so I will get them that way ty 😊 

Hey all. Ok I have now ordered buttons, switches, led's, pacdrive, i-pac and cables. 

My next thing is getting the cashflow 126 dfx and the azkoyen parallel hopper.

Is this the only hopper that you guys recommend? 

Also can it be any parallel hopper or does it need to be the azkoyen parallel hopper?

I use the cheapest hoppers possible, along with external relays, to trigger the motor, and opto sensor (coin out ([). Others use the ones with built in SSR (solid State Relays) which are more expensive. You can use any Parallel hopper as far as I know, its just a case of what voltage, size and price you want to pay.

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

14 hours ago, Psycon said:

Hey all. Ok I have now ordered buttons, switches, led's, pacdrive, i-pac and cables. 

My next thing is getting the cashflow 126 dfx and the azkoyen parallel hopper.

Is this the only hopper that you guys recommend? 

Also can it be any parallel hopper or does it need to be the azkoyen parallel hopper?

the azkoyen parallel hoppers are a good choice because they are pretty much plug and play with MFME and no additional relays etc required once its wired up to your pacdrive/ipac. They also work with virtually every type of coin without modification

as @Amusementshas already mentioned, you can use most parallel hoppers but you may need additional relays etc to make them work.

Edited by No1Stoney
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Psycon said:

Ok I will prob get the azkoyen hopper if its easier to plug in and set up. £60 seems to be the average price I can find so far. What cable will I need to connect it to the pacdrive?

The PacDrive comes with a USB Printer style cable that goes into your PC. The outputs on it are simply screw terminals, so you wont need any special type of cable on that side of things, so you only have to worry about the hopper connection - depending on what hopper you choose. 

One thing I would like to mention - while you are in the planning stage, is the screen. That (to me) is the most important part of a build. The bigger you go, the better the end experience. Some newer layouts are 4k, and older layouts can be upscaled with a decent branded screen in portrait mode. 

If you're happy to wait, there is one here slightly cheaper from germany https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193733260004?hash=item2d1b66f2e4:g:JwoAAOSwkHJfnxCd
Its a shame they are so expensive at the minute, I found mine around £15 each 2nd hand from ebay. Seems there aren't many parallel ones available.

As for wiring. use whatever wires you want, but these are good kits to have: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303426594516?hash=item46a5a266d4:g:JBcAAOSwcrJeCu8Z
You can use one of the 5x2 black connectors as these fit perfectly into the azkoyen hopper, then just add your wires yourself.
VCC (x3) - 12v power source
GND (x) - 0v
Control - Pacdrive output 15 & 16 (or just 16 if you only use 1 hopper)
Coin - Ipac (any output but set to '[' & ']' or '[' if only using 1 hopper)

Hope that makes sense

• Like 1

Thanks for this guys. Really helps.

I am lucky enough to get hold of a 46 inch led screen panel so that should look pretty good. 

The hopper from Germany has huge postage cost which is a bumber. I will get one of those connector packs when I order the hopper. Is there a wiring diagram for the coin mech anywhere? At least these arnt that expensive atm!

14 minutes ago, Psycon said:

Thanks for this guys. Really helps.

I am lucky enough to get hold of a 46 inch led screen panel so that should look pretty good. 

The hopper from Germany has huge postage cost which is a bumber. I will get one of those connector packs when I order the hopper. Is there a wiring diagram for the coin mech anywhere? At least these arnt that expensive atm!

Yes, but combined still about £20 cheaper than the £60+ ones you mentioned. 

Coin mech wiring (this is based on a PC providing the 12v source, but you can use any 12v source)

971627871_Coinmechwiring.thumb.png.da490598fe3806d84fc394b828ebfe39.png

Azkoyen hopper (excuse the sloppy diagram, it was mocked up in a few minutes, but hopefully you can understand it)

hoppers.jpg.34c99fc5fc1ba0721406cc8409973344.jpg

Edited by No1Stoney

I may have to get hold of a pc pcu as the computer I am running it from isn't a pc that you normally have. It's a motherboard that has built in ram and an ssd all built in. Its like a dedicated board for running software on. No pc molex wires. There will be a 12 pover pack running the screen though so I may come off of that. 

Am I right in saying the pc 0v is the negative terminal off of the power pack? Also I will only be running 1 hopper to start with so I'm guessing just ignore the second hopper wiring for now?

The red wire on the top right is just a common +5v out of the Pac drive. All the LEDS use this for the +5 voltage, and can be linked together.
The Black wire is the negative for that particular LED output IE:#8 which gets assigned in your Pacdrive settings in MFME config to the corresponding button.

There are 16 negative outputs on the Pacdrive. Most of us use 1 - 14 for bulbs, 15 for hopper 2 motor, and 16 for hopper 1 motor. For more than 14 LEDs we use an additional Pacdrive pre set by ultimarc with ID#2. 

11 hours ago, Amusements said:

The red wire on the top right is just a common +5v out of the Pac drive. All the LEDS use this for the +5 voltage, and can be linked together.
The Black wire is the negative for that particular LED output IE:#8 which gets assigned in your Pacdrive settings in MFME config to the corresponding button.

There are 16 negative outputs on the Pacdrive. Most of us use 1 - 14 for bulbs, 15 for hopper 2 motor, and 16 for hopper 1 motor. For more than 14 LEDs we use an additional Pacdrive pre set by ultimarc with ID#2. 

Ahh ok great. Still waiting for the switches to arrive but hopefully it will all make sense when I wire it all up. Just wasn't sure what those wires were. Thanks for explaining it 👍🏻

Hey. I have just wired the pacdrive and setup the led's in the configuration. When I test them they all light up. Now how do I get them to flash as per the emulated machine? They only turn on when I test them. I have attached a screenshot of what I have put in the settings

20220114_173145.jpg

1 hour ago, Psycon said:

Hey. I have just wired the pacdrive and setup the led's in the configuration. When I test them they all light up. Now how do I get them to flash as per the emulated machine? They only turn on when I test them. I have attached a screenshot of what I have put in the settings

20220114_173145.jpg

I have just realised I need to put in the light number under value 1. Other than trial and error, is there a way to know what number the lights are?