Desert Island Retro

Latest x86 Project - The Amstrad 1512 PC

pete_w

I have recently picked up an old Amstrad 1512 PC to restore. These were the first ever PCs under £500 that came out in 1986

These had an 8086 cpu, 512kb RAM and come with 2x 360k 5 1.4 floppy drives, one of which i will replace with a Gotek

I plan to upgrade the ram to 640k, install an XT IDE Compact Flash card and add a network and sound card

20211223_093456.jpeg

Edited by pete_w
  • Like 2

I had one and loved it!  Cost me £40 and a few days later had to get it in for repair due to a 'parity' error, but after that it worked perfectly :)  A bit later I upgraded to the 1640 with a 20MD (yes 20MB) hard drive and a whopping 8 colours.  I also installed my first 8 bit sound card and couldn't believe how good it was!

HAPPY DAYS!

I think the first amstrad PC I recall is the one with the built in Mega Drive.

A company that I worked for actually had them for business... :) ...was really odd to think of that combination when you look back in time - business PC and Megadrive hybrid.

advert.thumb.png.2c0ca4c9406709908443a26e340483fc.png

19 hours ago, dad said:

I had one and loved it!  Cost me £40 and a few days later had to get it in for repair due to a 'parity' error, but after that it worked perfectly :)  A bit later I upgraded to the 1640 with a 20MD (yes 20MB) hard drive and a whopping 8 colours.  I also installed my first 8 bit sound card and couldn't believe how good it was!

HAPPY DAYS!

Me too, i had one back in around 1992 or so, had a 20 mb hardcard its previous owner had fitted, which was slow but good enough, used that until i got a 486 around 1995 or so. Was slow but reliable. paid around £30 for it

20 minutes ago, pete_w said:

Me too, i had one back in around 1992 or so, had a 20 mb hardcard its previous owner had fitted, which was slow but good enough, used that until i got a 486 around 1995 or so. Was slow but reliable. paid around £30 for it

After my 1640 I got an Elonex 386sx with 2mb of ram.  I upgraded it to 4mb and the 1mb chips cost me £22 each lol. Been building PC’s ever since until a few years ago when I just gave up after purchasing my gaming laptop.

• Like 1