Subjects to study

ChrisUK87

Hello fellow family members

I'm curious. What would be good subjects of independent study in regards to gambling, fruit machines and the psychology of how addictive the machines are?

I want to put my past experience to good use and maybe code / develop solutions which take the concept of fruit machines in an unexplored direction. I have a curious mind! I always see possibilities and opportunities in everything.

Thank you

Chris

I am not so sure that this ties into coding, but we strive to collect things as humans.

Let's give a couple of example - football sticker albums for days of old moving to trophies in games - gotta collect them all, like Pokemon trading cards.

I think that collecting ties a bit into fruit machine addiction and here is where I am coming from.

Football sticker albums, you'd want it all - but you would have to have your own team - you must collect it all.

I do believe that some Club AWP fruit machines had features designed in such a way that they would appeal to you just like collecting and you would always aim for it like your team in the football stickers.  The one example I can give is the feature on Monopoly Club.  There were plenty of other ways to get decent prizes on the gamble when not being blocked, but you just had to get that as there were a couple of features you really wanted to always play like Notation.

I think some of the tunes they do as well sucked you in so that it was simply a time-sink - especially on the Club machines and they tried to create some kind of sensory deprevation so you were in this "happy" space while playing, all the while £100's were being pissed down the toilet - but it did not matter.

Another reason why I think this had something to do with it is as an addict, there were simply some machines that never appealed to me.  I remember once waiting for ages in a snooker hall to get on Cops N Robbers, loved the inner feature with the keys - but there was a Grandslam there as well untouched.

The sound packages and features designed to make you enjoy one particular style have a lot to answer for.

I was always horrified when I eventually owned a Monopoly Club.  The kill point on the centre board 99% of the time was £29.60.  I had no idea until it was not real money I was losing that this was the case - the many £29.60's I lost in the wild thinking hey, I have hotels and a multiplier - that is a GREAT thing.  Shit no, even playing on my own machine and I got the multiplier, that was a fuck no moment.

• 2 years later...

Could take a look into the brains dopamine response to playing games like fruit machines and how it compares to other forms of gambling. I mean social media has fine tuned their platforms to get us hooked on notifications, likes etc. So I could imagine some fruit machines having a similar effect on the brain as smartphones. Also I wager that fruit machines scratch the itch of our brain to perceive patterns in everything. I would be interested to read any research you produce. Please post!!

It’s an addiction like all addictions if you like it you crave for more, like drugs you start off on the small stuff ie £5 jackpots but sooner or later it’s the £500 and bookies

some people can either not be addicted to gambling but I bet you they’re addicted to other stuff even cleaning with ocd it’s still an addiction but not as costly 

everyone is addicted to something 

• Like 1