Clowning Around with Clown In' Around

avengah

From reset, £15 in, I got it to go invincible a rather novel way that I haven't seen before: Jackpot was there for 3 steps if I used one nudge. The board was looking OK but showing no signs of wanting to go invincible. But I hit 3 steps eventually in the red zone, took my one nudge and pressed cancel, it paused for a moment then did the flashy flash. "Hmm, the jackpot is there, I might as well give in" or something!

Unfortunately, the Clowning Around feature doesn't have to do a minimum of £25. So far I've had a £15 and an £18 (at least it didn't drop a credit to go over £15). None of the other hiddens are any good either - Big Top was the other one with potential but that only gave me £8. So there's no way to pot it while doing the emptier.

EDIT: There's another glitch to watch out for. If you take Big Top while doing the emptier, any winnings held but not banked yet from previous hiddens will be lost. I don't know if the machine thinks it's paid it out or not, but I'll check in a bit from a fresh reset.

Edited by avengah

53 minutes ago, avengah said:

OK, thanks. I've just set it to 30p / £25 / 70% (I was surprised this game went up to £25, never seen one in the wild, only £5 and £15) and I'm going to see how much fun I can have with it.

There was a £25 in Wroxham Hotel on the Broads years ago. It was sited by a small company called Independent Leisure. Wish I knew all this back then!

Cool! So I got it invincible within £15 and used Crazy Sevens to build up held wins, £10 at a time. When the held win got too high, it deleted itself. That happened at around £125-128 (it probably uses a signed single byte integer or something, because if it was checking the amount was too high, surely it would check if it was higher than the jackpot, as it's a held win, not banked yet). I was worried it might have counted the held win towards percentage even though it was wiped. But I carried on, and built up another held win of over £100 then took Clowning Around. I repeated the process, then finished it by taking a held win up to £92 and collecting the jackpot repeater. It was fun watching it spit out over £100 from the held win, with the bank at its limit of £75.

After that, MFME's meters matched the machine's internal meters exactly: 150 in, 4230 out, 2820%. Since it's set to £25, none of the Clowning Around features or other hiddens I took dropped a credit at any time - I had 0.60 credit left when I got that board, and 0.60 credit left when I finished the board having won £423 in a single credit. But it's clearly not a free win and the machine knows it's paid it out. I'll see how dead it's gone, just for fun, though I'll take a copy of the ram and gam files as they are now, for posterity. There are a few weird warnings in the alarm log: TCRASH 55FA6 appears a few times and there's RANGE CHECK - SAVEW > 125.00 [BOX] 134.00, which I assume was me overflowing the held win.

Clown In Around £25 2820%.zip

Cost £6 for a board, survived a Roll Even with 11 green shots but not active, rolled Activate and ended up hitting Activate again with a green shot then getting Reel Magic from just 5 or 6 red shots. It was already in the window so no excuse that it didn't see it. So that's another £25 out with it this far over percentage... Is this machine for real?

Haha, actually, it's done some work towards getting back to percentage. With the £6 in and £25 out, it's now only at 2133.33%, down from 2820%!

EDIT: It went through a slow patch. If you don't get a board for a few quid, it starts getting desperate to give you a board by offering nudges when it's there. I decided to knock it back to try for a super start (3 on winline) or a better win, but it just threw cherries in. I was offered a fiver on a board shortly after but didn't take it (should have done really). Just now got a swapped third hold for yellow bars, Add Again on the bonus, straight to +3 red shots, left it in a lot of trouble and it ended up just hitting Jackpot on the shots. This one cost quite a bit more though, so now I'm £39 in, £50 out for this session.

Edited by avengah

It's gone completely dead now. On £25 it plays so much worse when dead than when it's set to £5. I'm not getting many boards and I'm not getting any chances.

In the green zone, the Stop A Fruit feature sometimes lets you eliminate a reel but not always. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell before collecting it? It makes a big difference. (It's basically one blast on the winline. I remember realising it was better than it sounds based on the fact that it's a high-numbered feature in the green zone, and I'm sure I've potted one in the wild that way.)

Edited by avengah

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks.

I decided to try forcing it again from the 2820% state. Right at the start it swapped holds for melons but lost the hilo gamble on a 5. I was offered an easy jackpot first board off steps, which I'm sure it only sees if it's already there without needing nudges. After that it played slightly badly but not horrendously. Now I'm £46 in and I just got a natural jackpot board: It let me live several ?s, rolled the star on the reel multiple times then offered me Jackpot off just a couple of red shots as well as Star Prize, which was also jackpot since it guarantees at least one more repeater and I was one off the jackpot up there too. I didn't take it because I want to see if it was a fluke. Even though technically the machine knows it's over percentage, maybe the method screws with the compensators and the current pot still has value in it?

Yep. Next board, £51 in: 

image.png.eee214b52843d3f30a4d30610e31dab7.png

Edited by avengah

Well, considering it was playing so well after £46 in, and kept offering natural jackpots after that point, I was shocked that it cost £245 to get the invincible board. It had shown loads of signs of life from the £46 board onwards, including the extra Activate on entry, starting with multiple bonuses up to and including Skillstop, spinning several stars in in a row etc. One thing was different, though: Cash wins would not win a hilo gamble except on a 1 or 12. (I didn't get the chance to try on a 2 or 11 but it lost multiple times on a 3 or 10 on cherries.) So even though the board was flying, the cash was stone dead. I wonder if it's like a Vivid with a separate pot for the cash hilo when not on the board?

So this time I decided I'm not going to take anything except Clowning Around. I'm going to take about £500 and kill the board off by taking £0 off Hide and Seek. Then I'll quit and make a copy of the ram and gam files and see what state the machine ends up in!

There we go, I took £525 out and made sure there was no held win when I blew the board off with £0 on Hide and Seek - it offered £6 then £7.60. I took nothing but Clowning Arounds until the end, when I finished with a £1 Big Top to clear the held win then a £0 Hide & Seek (I didn't want to risk Big Top winning the first gamble at this point). Total stats £261 in, £948 out. I wonder how dead it'll go now? Again, the internal meters match MFME's meters.

Clown In Around £25 363% 261in 948out.zip

Answer: It didn't. While the reels are dead and it cost £15 for a board by spinning in mixed sevens on a 2 which won, it's still off its tits on the board. I had a feeling it would be. Third red shot, Jackpot. Still spinning stars on the reel, still giving a good run round the board and easily landing on Activate for red zone. (While it may be hard to tell, Jackpot is lit in the red zone.)

1041529035_2023-03-04(1).png.42119c71506d2e7e0a3d8cd15ed13762.png

Same board just gave Extra Life after filling up the stars:

1720352166_2023-03-04(2).png.a5d067da7e52f68de74b52581b4b80d3.png

It eventually killed me after offering the BWBCode Bonus. Two boards later, it threw a red zone jackpot at me again:

image.png.bed344afa3c81d29a7221251fa41c32f.png

Edited by avengah

I decided to try the Psycho Cash Beast knockback method on it in the state it's in. £15 in to be offered a natural jackpot (you can't tell off the bonus on this machine so I thought a natural jackpot was a good enough sign), then another £15 worth of credits knocked back while trying to get offered jackpots if it makes any difference. Finally took a jackpot from red shots, reels woke up and started winning nudge gambles and giving bonus numbers, next board collected jackpot and it repeated!

I wonder if the reason the board's as alive as it is could be because the method destroys the current pot while leaving the streak pot alone, the machine thinks it has a streak in it and gives good boards trying to pot so it can dump its roll?

EDIT: I tested hold swapping some more. It seems they really went all out with it on this machine, because you can even hold pairs of crap and it will still say "You're a genius!" on the third hold and bring in a symbol if there's no pair. You can swap the second hold AND the third hold and it still works, just like a JPM or Red. I had a feeling this might work because when trying to swap the second hold earlier, I found it refusing to hold a third time more than you'd expect unless it worked. I still think it doesn't see big wins swapped to on the third hold, but it does realise it's a third hold and doesn't offer it as often as a regular hold.

Edited by avengah