Glitchy JPM Snakes & Ladders blocking wins over £4/£5

avengah

Many years ago I played a Snakes & Ladders in a little hotel bar, 25p/£10 but it was glitchy. It would not offer wins above £4 or £5, as if it thought higher wins were still paid out in tokens and it was out of tokens. It never won a hi/lo gamble for Reel Cobra, Sidewinder never went straight across the top stopping you getting more than £4ish and it never hit any of the features near the top (except perhaps Lucky Ladders). If you got all five dice you got £4 (and it didn't repeat for me), and the top feature also only did £4 for me the one time I got it. One time it did hit The Rattler with a jackpot in view but unfortunately I missed it as I wasn't paying attention. I'd love to know what it would have done in that situation! I assume it would have worked correctly as it was probably only part of the machine's code causing the glitch.

Another one appeared in another pub near me but this one played much better and offered all the good features. One time I turned down the top feature from a skill stop and took the jackpot instead because I was worried about the same thing happening, but my fear was misplaced as I got a £40 top some time later.

I downloaded an earlier program ROM for Snakes & Ladders (I think version 8 or something), but I can't replicate the glitch. Is there a certain dip switch setting or something I can change in the configuration? I'd like to experiment with it if possible. Thanks!

Untick the token level check boxes. Can't remember numbers, maybe untick 60 through to 65 and see if it tells you token tubes are low in coin test. If it isn't those ones, put machine in coin test skip to one of the token tubes and untick the check boxes one by one until it says tokens low instead of full. They will be dragged off the layout art on most dxs. 

Nah it would have been on purpose. When it offered you big money it would have said 4 and 8 instead of 4 and 10 or 5 and 10 on later rechips. I plated a coaster same years ago, wouldn't number and nothing over 4 pound. It may just have been that the engineer didn't bother setting the dips to.change to £10 cash or they purposely set it to £8 tokens knowing it would be like playing a £4 jackpot machine, taking more cash in.

Hmm. I seem to remember it saying 4 and 10 but always giving the 4. Strange. I wasn't the only one to play a Snakes like this; I read about it online so it must have been a common problem. I can't set this Snakes to £8 jackpot though, it won't let me even on the earliest chip we have.

Coin test doesn't mention tokens, just £1 and 20p. Disabling switch 65 makes it think the 20p tube is empty. It still wins for Reel Cobra though so it's not put it in that mode. I'll play around some more.

Edited by avengah

I've managed to do it with it set to 20p / £8 by disabling the hoppers and checkboxes 65, 66, 68 and 69 for the two token tubes. I'm sure it was a 25p one that I played with the glitch, though. Setting this one to 25p / £10 with empty token tubes doesn't replicate the glitch so maybe it was a very early £10 chip.

And the answer is, if you manage to get a win above the block, it tries to pay it out anyway. I tested this by enabling the checkboxes, getting a set of blue bars, disabling the checkboxes and it successfully paying the win out. As I thought, it's a different part of the code that tries to block the high wins.