Another newbie - How to start? Amount of buttons, labeling, ...

kaiserneppo

Hey people,

glad to find this forum and share our hobby :)
I recently build a virtua pinball machine and now would like to get my 90s gaming center feeling back and want to build a small cabinet with 24 inch monitor.

For my pinball project there is a pinscape build guide, which helped a lot!
Is there something similar for MFME?

My main question at the moment is how to realize all buttons, because each machine is different.

They have different numbers of buttons and have different positioning of take cash, cancel, ...

Is there a best way of how many buttons I should add and how they should be labeled?

best regards
Daniel

2 hours ago, Road Hog Mad said:

Resize the buttons? What are you talking about?

Go and get your glasses!   He wrote realize <- blame the Amercians for that spelling!

10 hours ago, kaiserneppo said:

Is there something similar for MFME?

My main question at the moment is how to realize all buttons, because each machine is different.

They have different numbers of buttons and have different positioning of take cash, cancel, ...

Is there a best way of how many buttons I should add and how they should be labeled?

There are a few guides and examples in the cabinet forum, but most set ups have 14 main buttons that light up. Other buttons can be added that either do not flash, or by adding an extra Pacdrive. Most layouts run fine with 14 buttons, and those that use 14+ can also work with a 14 button setup, by using some of the buttons twice. 

There are some standard buttons, like 1,2,3,4 for the hold buttons, and space for start. The rest change from layout to layout, so the rest of your buttons do not need labeling, and can be where ever you think they look/work best. I use a 2-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-1-1 button layout with extra buttons on the back of my cab for functions.

• Haha 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

Currently I'm using a standard arcade controller (a modified X-Arcade Tankstick) and use the top row of buttons left to right as they might appear on a Fruit Machine (but I use the Player 1 Start as "Cancel" and Player 2 Start as "Collect "so that the first three buttons are normally Reels 1, 2, & 3 respectively, and the far right top row button as "Start".    

Then I use keyboard mapping (AutoHotKey) to map the standard MFME buttons to the rest of my arcade buttons in a "typical" fashion that tries to capture the average button geography found (so, for example Reel 4, and Exchange are the other two in my top row of 6 arcade buttons, and all the others mapped to rows below it).

That would give me an instant way to play 98% of the Fruit Machines out there upon installation. (anecdotally MFME buttons are usually assigned to keyboard buttons based on the first letter of the name of the Button, like "T = Take" "A = Auto-nudge" and so forth - BUT there is no uniformity between fruit machines.

So what I do is edit each new fruit machine layout I add to change the MFME keys to correspond to my mapped arcade buttons using physical location on the fruit machine to lead the choice (with backbox buttons usually laid out in the bottom two rows of arcade buttons in roughly the positions or order they appear on the backbox).

That STILL isn't enough to make it easy to remember for complex feature choice club fruit machines, so I also create a graphic "instruction card" for each game that shows my button layout and the buttons assigned for that fruit machine that can be popped on or off screen when I forget where a button has been placed.  I don't yet have LED Blinky installed, but when I do, that WILL help lessen the need for the instruction card as the blink rate and placement of the leds on the arcade controller will give a pretty good geographic correspondence to the fruit machine buttons they are representing.

I did have plans to add an extra row of Fruit Machine buttons to the top of the arcade controller, but so far my current method is working so well that I may not.  It it were a controller for a dedicated Fruit Machine Emulator Machine then I would use a slightly different approach, or go to a touch screen monitor which would solve most issues (at the expense of pressing actual buttons).

I hope that makes sense.

Instruction Card for Fruit Machines.png

Edited by dnsmate