Trapping Reel Good Time like A Knight's Trail for invincible

avengah

I didn't really play these in the wild as I didn't like them very much. Too unpredictable and could cost far too much to force. But that was before learning about trapping A Knight's Trail, and looking at the way this plays in the emulator, they're clearly based on the same code, which is different from other Globals of the era like the Beaver and Millionhare series, Hi Spirits, Cannonball Run etc. So I decided to find out if they can be trapped for invincible the same way.

You have a much easier job with A Knight's Trail because of the bonuses that you can use any time on the board. The trap is simple: while it won't naturally give you an invincible board and won't naturally land on nudges for the red icons, it will win a gamble on a 3 or 10 or better for the last nudges you need. And bonuses make it much easier to get in situations where you can do it. Without those bonuses, I knew Reel Good Time would be much, MUCH harder.

Another problem with Reel Good Time is all the nudge squares can give just 1 nudge if they want to. And once you have the last couple of keys you need for the red board above the line, good luck landing on nudges on a good number (or at all sometimes)! But finally I got the trap, getting into the super board with one red key and two above the line and rolling a 3 to the nudge square, and of course it won as it's based on the same code as A Knight's Trail. But it was a bloody nightmare and cost over £40. It was £15-£20 happy, so I really didn't save much. (No, it wasn't ready naturally. It didn't want to do it and it carried on avoiding nudges for the rest of the board.) Thankfully the top went for £55 so it wasn't a loss, but having done this there's no way it would have been worth doing in the wild. Worth testing though.

I did them off Reel Skill as well, but that eventually got chipped. I think the rechip would let you hit the first one but jump the third reel. I'm sure red Reel Skill was still OK but it's hard to get so I never checked. (I don't remember but was there a chip that didn't make you hit the third reel if it was already on the line? Because the one in the emulator still makes you hit it.)

There was another, much rarer chip that tried to stop you playing for traps: it didn't actually stop the trap gamble winning, but it wouldn't let you hold off the board for symbols above, as you would when playing for the trap. When it's due to give a board, it will slow spin three symbols on to the bottom line. You can still trap it if you get enough nudges to bring two or three of the symbols round. That chip was very rare and I only saw a couple, just before the machine disappeared completely. I have no idea why they went with that method to chip it rather than just block the gamble for the invincible... Maybe they didn't want to lead players on, especially if it took the piss to get a trap, and they wanted it to still be possible and be obvious that it was a different program?

Edited by avengah