Tips: Loading MFME for the First Time

Reg

THIS SHOULD WORK IF FOLLOWED STEP BY STEP.

I'VE KEPT IT SIMPLE TO MAKE IT OPEN TO I HOPE MOST PEOPLE - OLD, YOUNG AND OFF-WORLD.

LOADING MFME FOR THE FIRST TIME

Due to lots of new members who are looking to play games that have recently joined, there seems to be some problems, at least in my PM's in getting games running.

Here is a real basic guide for getting everything running.

1. The first thing you need is MFME, go to the link below.

Downloads

You can download the emulator from there, below is what to look for.

image.thumb.png.6b31c8c76721f854d52b0091e7d15255.png

For version v19 and later of MFME, you run the installer that you have downloaded and it will auto install for you.

Once installed, you need to udpate.  Click on the About button and then the Check for Updates button.

image.png.eee8f304da6436f5814322597e63d0c0.png

2. For older versions of MFME, v6.1 and below you need to install June 2010 DirectX runtime.

Direct X Runtime Link

3. or older versions of MFME, v6.1, once downloaded you will have a file in your downloads directory.

0003.png.9879a811b41ad427cc2078ea189fb07f.png

4. When extracted you will have a folder that looks like this below.  TAKE NOTE ON HOW YOU EXTRACT THE FILE AS YOU DO THIS FOR LAYOUTS.

0004.png.1462e08141ccea492653e5046bbac33c.png

5. Now you want to play a layout, go to wherever you want to and download a layout as before, the download link is in GREEN

If you don't know how to open a .RAR file, check point 3. and 4. that showed you how to open it for MFME v6.1

0005.thumb.png.b5cd5de34a49bdcbb4621c6d99c62a8c.png

6. Whatever method you used on step five ( 5. ) to extract MFME, YOU REPEAT ( DO AGAIN AS BEFORE ON STEP 5 ) ON THIS ITEM YOU HAVE DOWNLOADED.

7. You should have something like this.  I have shown in GREEN the .GAM file.  This is what you load into MFME.

0006.png.e5be9bc9a4e2fc0b258e1b94795a998b.png

8. With MFME running that you downloaded in step four ( 4. ), click on FILE, LOAD GAME and browse to the LOCATION ( AS SHOWN ON STEP 8 ) where the .GAM file is located and then you CLICK ON IT. I have shown in GREEN where to do this.

0007.png.6d25857584ee5e219339d6542d0763c3.png

9. Your game will be loaded as below.  You are on YOUR OWN FROM HERE AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE I CAN SHOW YOU when it comes to lauching and running a game within MFME.

0008.thumb.png.cb9ae4330c16b4c2434863a77dc078f8.png

Edited to add, here is a video from @Chopaholic that is a good watch to also get you started...

• Like 5

I good post.........remind me at work, 3 times a year the schools MIS systems are updated, by way of the zip file, the contents of which has to be imported into the MIS.

A new one has just been released, and one Monday we will get a few hundred calls saying they've read the instructions and can't get the file imported.  Every time it's because they've not extracted it first..........even though it's in the instructions!!!

Anyway, a really goot article, clear and concise.  We call them "Noddy notes" at work.  ie step by step with pictures that even Noddy could follow.

:)

NQ.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, John said:

Using Windows 10 and have followed exactly. It is either me or my system so I think I'll give up and stop hassling for this. I'll get it one day. Thanks for everyone's help anyway as it was worth a try👍👍

I think your problem is you have not extracted MFME from the package that you downloaded.

Really follow this step by step again and check and double check everything you are doing from step 4 onwards.

You are confusing extracted files with non-extracted files in my opinion.

If you see the words Compressed Folder, you have not extracted your files as shown on the photo on the other thread.

Right so now your MFME has got a little further.

Take a look at the install instructions again on POINT 2.

I said this...

" 2. Read the whole post, I have highlighted a key step in RED and a download link in GREEN. "

I think you have not installed the DirectX runtime.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

I need to drop offline now - but you are getting closer.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...