Music sample links - find that obscure sample source

monkeyboypaul

I can't take credit for this, but someone posted a link on Facebook to this music track which unbeknownst to me was the source track for JPM's BigBucks gamble ladder - my favourite machine. I had no idea it was a 'real track'. It triggered all sorts of nostalgic memories and made me think if there are any other hidden nuggets locked in Fruit Machine code that wasn't so obviously ripped legally licensed from commercial music. 

Big Bucks 'gamble ladder' (about 25seconds onwards): 

Loads of 90's Maygays used sampled music to great effect, and they were often pretty obvious -

Main feature on Coronation Street: 

...Plus M-People for nudges, Simply Red for Hi-Lo gamble (i think), Pump up the Volume for Paper Round, Happy Hour for Rovers Return... 

Does this interest anyone else??

I'd be interested in the samples that you found either catchy or just really hard to track down. I'm also curious what the sample licensing deals were like, if they existed. Anyone know? For a big licence like Coronation street i doubt ITV would've let it through without copious legal agreements in place (i know ITV were a pain for licensing the recent Thunderbirds Pinball to HomePin), same for EastEnders with the BBC, but for original themes like Big Bucks it may not have been so obvious... 

Edited by monkeyboypaul
  • Like 1

About me: Arcade, Pinball & Fruit machine fan. 

At home: 7x Pinballs (90's to present day - Fish Tails to Metallica), JPM Monopoly60th (£10), Astra Reel Stampede (£10), Astra Double Jackpot (£5/£15), Astra Ready to Roll (£10/£5) & Astra Classic Slot (£15) bartop. 

Looking for: Astra Bartops, JPM Big50, Big Banker, Big Bucks, Money Talks & Maverick. 

Must be just me then! 

i was only 2 when this came out, so i could be forgiven for not making the connection sooner, but just realised it was used on BFM's Surprise Surprize for nudges: 

• Like 1

At home: 7x Pinballs (90's to present day - Fish Tails to Metallica), JPM Monopoly60th (£10), Astra Reel Stampede (£10), Astra Double Jackpot (£5/£15), Astra Ready to Roll (£10/£5) & Astra Classic Slot (£15) bartop. 

Looking for: Astra Bartops, JPM Big50, Big Banker, Big Bucks, Money Talks & Maverick. 

50 minutes ago, monkeyboypaul said:

Must be just me then! 

i was only 2 when this came out, so i could be forgiven for not making the connection sooner, but just realised it was used on BFM's Surprise Surprize for nudges: 

No it's not just you :) I'm always curious about the samples as well.

There are so many examples. Maygay did it a lot in the era of Coronation Street and the like. Wild Zone uses an old Top of the Pops tune, EastEnders had The Stranglers, James Bond sampled Duran Duran etc.

The Simpsons and the film Jungle Book have also been plundered for samples down the years. Barcrest's Buccaneer has voice samples from King Size Homer. Maygay's Cash Is King took loads from Jungle Book.

• Like 2

I'd love to hear any anecdotes from those dealing with licensing on this topic. 

Feels like a young programmer working at JPM back then just said "I like this track, let's use that."

Mr JPM to Mark & Neil (who're probably their mates): "How about £100 for the rights to use 20seconds of your 'music' on this fruit machine?" (that's about 20 ecstasy pills in 90's rave culture money, or 10 each)

Mark & Neil: "go on then, cheers Geeza"

Until someone can prove me wrong - this is exactly what happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I very much suspect they just nicked it. Back then there were quite a lot of music libraries that were 'pay per use', but essentially relied on whoever was using the music to be honest about it and pay the fee. Where the use case scenario was rather obscure (and a fruit machine's music probably falls into that category), it wasn't unusual for basic thievery to occur.

Could be wrong in this case, but I wouldn't be surprised if no cash changed hands.....

I've still got some of the CDs from the time period upstairs, these date back to the mid-late 90s, so the same sort of era as Big Bucks!

image.thumb.png.2710a391c4212d723194db9b2f873c3e.png

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

56 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

I got a content ID match/copyright claim for my Big Bucks video, which is the first I knew that it was 'real' music :D 

image.png.df10b0f37b6aa3eceabc33471d3732ed.png

Not putting a poop reaction on your post as it would mean differently to what I mean but what a pile of 💩💩💩💩💩. Sorry to hear that but that is a real pisstake, the industry has being stealing things for years and they want to focus on this, better watch what I say on my YT vids as if I spout "Okey Dokey Roll 'Em" or "Your such a Genius" mine will get the same treatment lol, think they have already picked on one of mine already but I keep my vids so will just keep putting it up to give them something to do.

8 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

Back then there were quite a lot of music libraries that were 'pay per use', but essentially relied on whoever was using the music to be honest about it and pay the fee.

Oh yes, we had piles of them at work!

Editing for the Telly really opened my eyes to music rights... And by 'opened my eyes' i'm referring to the Clockwork Orange method of having ones eyes held open by force. 

Edited by monkeyboypaul

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

I very much suspect they just nicked it. Back then there were quite a lot of music libraries that were 'pay per use', but essentially relied on whoever was using the music to be honest about it and pay the fee. Where the use case scenario was rather obscure (and a fruit machine's music probably falls into that category), it wasn't unusual for basic thievery to occur.

Could be wrong in this case, but I wouldn't be surprised if no cash changed hands.....

I've still got some of the CDs from the time period upstairs, these date back to the mid-late 90s, so the same sort of era as Big Bucks!

image.thumb.png.2710a391c4212d723194db9b2f873c3e.png

I very much suspect you're a hoarder! No doubt your family despairs of you :)

• Haha 2

Cheers for the big bucks sample monkey me to very intregued by fruit samples,and always did like this one, like chops often have it on loop for a bit,     Seems strange hearing full version somewhere else and not even on the fruit.

Obvisouly popular track as it was also on 2 over fruites, first one to guess gets a squid 👍🏻

On 12/04/2021 at 08:01, monkeyboypaul said:

I can't take credit for this, but someone posted a link on Facebook to this music track which unbeknownst to me was the source track for JPM's BigBucks gamble ladder - my favourite machine. I had no idea it was a 'real track'. It triggered all sorts of nostalgic memories and made me think if there are any other hidden nuggets locked in Fruit Machine code that wasn't so obviously ripped legally licensed from commercial music. 

Big Bucks 'gamble ladder' (about 25seconds onwards): 

Loads of 90's Maygays used sampled music to great effect, and they were often pretty obvious -

Main feature on Coronation Street: 

...Plus M-People for nudges, Simply Red for Hi-Lo gamble (i think), Pump up the Volume for Paper Round, Happy Hour for Rovers Return... 

Does this interest anyone else??

I'd be interested in the samples that you found either catchy or just really hard to track down. I'm also curious what the sample licensing deals were like, if they existed. Anyone know? For a big licence like Coronation street i doubt ITV would've let it through without copious legal agreements in place (i know ITV were a pain for licensing the recent Thunderbirds Pinball to HomePin), same for EastEnders with the BBC, but for original themes like Big Bucks it may not have been so obvious... 

I like this I'm interested in knowing where cash raker Board and all red machines come from  samples 

ezgif-6-228f2c936d48.gif

57 minutes ago, infection said:

I like this I'm interested in knowing where cash raker Board and all red machines come from  samples 

QPS/Mazooma usually created their own sounds from scratch. The samples on Cashraker definitely sound homemade to me.

Much the same with Red as well.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with many of the RED or QPS games - mostly stopped playing after £15jps... mostly... 😉

I remember The Mob (MDM) had a bunch of obscure samples that I assumed were in-house productions, but recently (more than 20 years later!) came across the library albums:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasonc said:

I remember The Mob (MDM) had a bunch of obscure samples that I assumed were in-house productions, but recently (more than 20 years later!) came across the library albums:

How did you make those connections?? That's pretty obscure, so A+ for effort. 

On 19/04/2021 at 09:25, monkeyboypaul said:

How did you make those connections?? That's pretty obscure, so A+ for effort. 

Both of them came up in a conversation about music used in gameshows - so not too dissimilar to this thread!  

The first was a fluke - they sourced the Numberwang track, I listened to the rest of the samples out of curiosity and stumbled on it.  

The second I'd always had in my head that The Mob had used "that track from Fort Boyard" (because it's very distinctive, and The Mob was released a year later), but only heard about the library track recently.

• Like 1