* Project Coin - Classic 777 Heaven - WIP

serene02

I've started a separate WIP thread for this.  I'm just putting some finishing touches to the lamp effects.  I've gone all out to try to create more realistic lighting.

Here is video showing off some of the lamps.  I intend to create all the lamping in this style for this specific layout.  It doesn't seem to be creating any slowdowns.  The layout is 2160 pixels tall, so you will need a portrait screen or a landscape 4K screen to get the full effect.

https://youtu.be/eaiYVdeWMhU

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This layout will be dedicated to the late Chris Wren and will be released by end of April.  It’s been a long process getting everything as perfect as I can.  I kind of started again a couple months back as I noticed I’d been working in the wrong colour profile in photoshop, so my work wasn’t converting to mfme, colour wise, it wasn’t until I previewed in ‘proof colours’ that I found the problem.

Looking forward to finally releasing my latest layout.

Final sneak peak vid.  (Excuse video quality).  This doesn’t reflect the final release, most work is complete, just some parts still not happy with.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6NHKAIpP41w?feature=share

J

Edited by serene02
  • Awesome 4

I used to have this machine in my arcade back in the 90's, and I must say that this looks very realistic, and amazing:)

However I have to be honest. In 4k (Upscaled youtube HD) the lamps seem to be much too bright on the decals.

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Yes mate of course they move ;)  They are slightly blurred and correctly orientated to appear to spin reflective to bottom reels.   The vid was taken on my phone so it compensates with brightness balance etc.

...and yes those are the correct stats.  £120 up on this so far, tightening up a little now.  I used to empty 2 of these in Red BJ's Skegness.  Basically you play for pairs and use the pull handle on held items and you'd be surprised that it will often drop the matching symbol, yes, even the jackpot, I've had 3 jackpots within £10 of play including other little wins.  The method is all about taking the value from those pull handle spins, the machine can never drop a win in on held items with normal start, unless it is a hold after nudge.   We have a few sets and this was chipped up, most arcades just disabled the pull handle.  We had those in Skegness for months, till a mate of mine told the arcade owner as he was getting pissed about them always being emptied ;).   The machine had to be on a generous % to start with, at least 90% which was common for a lo-tech machine back in those days I believe.

I think this machine managed to be even better than the original, already iconic, classic.  This re-imagined 777 Heaven came out in 1993 and had a very pronounced large  streak profile, around £30 worth of jackpots was usual, similar Projects of this particular era, Wheel of Fortune, etc.  An absolute classic machine, one of my all time favourite lo-techs.

J

777heavenwip.png

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Well I missed my deadline.  Just some lamps I'm not happy, I will only release when I am 100% happy with it.  Sorry for the delay.  Hope to get time over the weekend to do the final tweaks then release it.  I'm not happy with top win panel the lamp interaction, it doesn't look right! 

J

• Thanks 1

Thanks dude.  Yeah, I’ve potentially fixed the top panel issue it seems I was trying to use over complicated bespoke lamp masks when it isn’t necessary, especially if you create the lamping with everything full on.

As if my weekend couldn’t get worse, I just had an Air Source Heat Pump installed for our space heating and we have a leaking pipe.  Fortunately my brothers bill will be a 6 pack of Aldi lager ;), oh and a cup of tea and a biscuit  ;).

Hope your weekend is going well fella.  Need that geekend now ;)

J

• Like 1

Nightmare on the leaking pipe, your brother's a handy guy to have around! ;)  Cab sesh sounds great, always nice to see some skilful live playing of the old classics - I'll have to brush up on my Salamander skills for my next visit once things are back to normal a bit with the virus :) 

• Like 2

Arcade Simulator
Pre-alpha installer: http://arcadesimulator.net
Known Issues: https://tinyurl.com/yz4uom2e
Donation info: https://tinyurl.com/yzvgl4xo

Ha ha, yeah he sorted the leak and I got him to do a bit of angle grinding on my cab metal so it fitted my cab profile better.  Yeah my bro is handy as hell, I forget how lucky we are to have him on tap (haha).   I’ve ordered him a ton of Guinness, he never wants anything, he’s an absolute nightmare, sort of ;)

J

• Like 1

OK, time to probably rethink this project (see what I did), with only a handful of lamps to sort, I'm having some layout breaking issues, which unfortunately ruin the overall feel.   Might have to consider less that 4k release for this, which is a massive shame.  What a pain!

I was going for a dynamic lighting effect, each lamp affects the other parts of the layout with it's light, obviously this means that my bespoke lamp masks are rather large and even on my all powerful system it is suffering from severe stutters to complete lamp shutdown when in attract mode or jackpot sequence as can be seen in this video.  I will try address this issue, but will have to consider lowering the size from 4k to maybe 1440px deep, or alternatively cut the belly glass from the layout, I don't want to do that though. I'm hoping I can find a way, will do some time on it over the weekend.

J

• Awesome 1

Could you not keep this copy and release it as it and release another copy with less lamp blending etc, slightly different but I had the same probs with classic crazy fruits and cloud 999 so released two versions 

one for decent pcs speed wise and one for shitty laptops like mine as would be a major shame to scrap the layout as it looks fantastic

4 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

Could you not keep this copy and release it as it and release another copy with less lamp blending etc, slightly different but I had the same probs with classic crazy fruits and cloud 999 so released two versions 

one for decent pcs speed wise and one for shitty laptops like mine as would be a major shame to scrap the layout as it looks fantastic

My PC is running RTX2080 Super and an AMD Ryzen 12 core CPU, it’s a bit of a beast.  I think I just hit mfme lamp mask/blend limit and bust it.

I never said I was scrapping it, not at all. I won’t release two versions though, I used blended lamps but they are not packed.  It’s just a question of maybe trying slightly smaller lamp mask area.  Just take me a little more time to sort but I won’t scrap it, I’ve done way too much work on it and it’s a rather simple layout.

J

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So yeah, it's the lamp size, I'd not noticed the slow down as I was testing it pretty much always with credits :(.  Any little stutters I just thought was due to some intense photoshop memory usage!!

Anyway, so I will be revisiting the lamp and masks to try to solve this as quickly as I can.  God damn.

J

On 02/05/2021 at 13:44, serene02 said:

Going to be chilling on my cab for the rest of the day, play some video classics...

@johnparker007 My mate came round and completed Rygar on one credit ;)

Probably going to record some of his game playing, he’s a bit of a legend.

J

Yeah and a bloody show off;)

• Like 1

Zippy🤐 from Rainbosays "Shite has got very real, get ready for a surprrrrrriiiiise!"

10 hours ago, serene02 said:

So yeah, it's the lamp size, I'd not noticed the slow down as I was testing it pretty much always with credits :(.  Any little stutters I just thought was due to some intense photoshop memory usage!!

Anyway, so I will be revisiting the lamp and masks to try to solve this as quickly as I can.  God damn.

J

I noticed this kind of behaviour on some large DX layouts with masks and blended lamps I made.

The strange thing is it only seems to slow down and judder whilst in attract on normal mode. That I mean as soon as mfme is put in Edit mode, attract doesn't show any judder or slow down?

I have not tried removing the blended lamps or masks by just using a single lamp ... It kind of takes away the visual attractiveness of the layout if you do this which is a shame.

• Like 1

Definitely Mavroz.   I will just reduce the size of lamps.  I don't use blended lamp tool, I just set my lamps to blend mode so they aren't packed.  Annoying as literally only added a couple more lamps which seems to have broken the flow of the emulation.   Gutted, but I will fix it as soon as I can.   Did a lot of work in the work on the new lamps lol, but hoping to get time to test it properly today.

J

Edited by serene02
  • Like 3