AP'ed for around 5 hours but was fairly easy on the settings. About £950 behind and will go up straight away with all good numbers, thing is I haven't played it out yet so don't know how many times it will go up, you'll just have to have fun with it;) 

To those that haven't played this before it does not have the conventional hold after nudge and in, you have to press stop for it to spin the three of a kind in but you must have 3 matching symbols on the win line. Let me know how you got on.

ChinaTown £150.rar

Edited by Big J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"Hide and Seek and Give us a clue, have never been games I have ever liked!!"

Funny you should post this. I've currently got the robot playing Celebration Club to build up the pots, and next to that in my Uni Bar in 1993 was ChinaTown. I seem to remember it would never go past £100 unless you were on the 'invincible' board where you got no numbers other than 1,2,3,10,11,12 - so you could get to £100 if it was happy enough, but it would always kill you on that final number. 

You sure you uploaded the right RAM file btw? It's not giving me nice numbers at all!

PS I forgot how much it cracks me up that the machine called Chinatown constantly plays 'turning Japanese' at you...

Edited by Boulderdash
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Boulderdash said:

Funny you should post this. I've currently got the robot playing Celebration Club to build up the pots

You ever manage to get "Bar Winner" from normal play?

I think it doesn't exist in the rom, you can't even hi-lo to it in test mode with guaranteed win.

48 minutes ago, Retrofruit said:

You ever manage to get "Bar Winner" from normal play?

I think it doesn't exist in the rom, you can't even hi-lo to it in test mode with guaranteed win.

You're right, you can't climb to it which is pretty bizarre. Who designs a feature that you can't play?!

What happens in test mode? 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

You're right, you can't climb to it which is pretty bizarre. Who designs a feature that you can't play?!

The gamble will lose

1 hour ago, Boulderdash said:

Two possibilities spring to mind.

1. There was insufficient space left in the rom to hold everything, they ran out of time and blocked it instead. Possible? Maybe if they were on a strict deadline as it was Barcrests 21st anniversary celebration machine and a desire to get it out the door and fix it later.

2. They discovered a problem with it. Bad accounting/compensation, too easy to get to (exploited), any number of reasons. So they intentionally blocked it. Chipped it forever and then already moved on so there was no desire to fix it or possibly couldn't find a workable fix.

Question is was it ever available in the initial release of the rom?

It's a pretty poor show to be honest if it's option 1 as it meant it was impossible to ever hi-lo to cashpot so it led the player to believe something was possible when it wasn't. The only time I ever got cashpot on it was an automatic hold of two symbols and the bell with ? on it, third symbol dropped in.

Not sure which side I fall on, but given you can't even get to it in test mode (as Dez says the gamble will lose, even if you are performing the no-lose procedure) says to me it's not in the rom at all.

I know it sounds stupid but it's one of those things that I have always desired an answer for, maybe the original programmer(s) will surface one day!

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Boulderdash said:

You sure you uploaded the right RAM file btw? It's not giving me nice numbers at all!

She is just being stubborn, crack on.

17 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

First jackpot cost me £100. 

It offered another £50 soon after but refuses to go up again. 

Got my first nearly straight away mmm something is afoot, I'll start again and see what it does.

Looks like it doesn't want to claw back to percentage, very unlike Bellfruits from experience, maybe it is just there clubbers.

After the JP how much was it gambling to?  

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

Got my first nearly straight away mmm something is afoot, I'll start again and see what it does.

Looks like it doesn't want to claw back to percentage, very unlike Bellfruits from experience, maybe it is just there clubbers.

After the JP how much was it gambling to?  

Maybe I wasn't explaining myself right. After the jackpot it let me climb back up to £50 a few times but kept killing me there.

2 hours ago, Retrofruit said:

Two possibilities spring to mind.

1. There was insufficient space left in the rom to hold everything, they ran out of time and blocked it instead. Possible? Maybe if they were on a strict deadline as it was Barcrests 21st anniversary celebration machine and a desire to get it out the door and fix it later.

2. They discovered a problem with it. Bad accounting/compensation, too easy to get to (exploited), any number of reasons. So they intentionally blocked it. Chipped it forever and then already moved on so there was no desire to fix it or possibly couldn't find a workable fix.

Question is was it ever available in the initial release of the rom?

It's a pretty poor show to be honest if it's option 1 as it meant it was impossible to ever hi-lo to cashpot so it led the player to believe something was possible when it wasn't. The only time I ever got cashpot on it was an automatic hold of two symbols and the bell with ? on it, third symbol dropped in.

Not sure which side I fall on, but given you can't even get to it in test mode (as Dez says the gamble will lose, even if you are performing the no-lose procedure) says to me it's not in the rom at all.

I know it sounds stupid but it's one of those things that I have always desired an answer for, maybe the original programmer(s) will surface one day!

Sorry for taking the thread off topic.

Well this is frustrating. I typed a long reply to you and it doesn't seem to have uploaded. 

We can have a better chat about it when I upload the happy ram, but you simply couldn't climb to the pot on any barcrest machine with the symbols, rather than three bars. 

Celebration Club blocks at hi-lo notes, making the bar winner feature completely fake. Jackpot Jump and Club Connect have a similar feature one before the pot called 'bar select' or 'bar match', but I suspect they are also unwinnable. A quick play with the emulator suggests as much. 

Blackjack club definitely climbed out, as I remember vividly getting the pot on an Ace, and trying about fifty times to go lower and get the jackpot instead but it kept giving snap. @Chopaholicsaid he climbed out Super Blackjack Club on 10p/£100 version, but the £200 rom won't go past hi-lo notes, meaning both the pot and four single bars are fake levels on the ladder.

Edited by Boulderdash
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, Boulderdash said:

So even if you have a no lose gamble, and go lower than a jack and it gives a five, it tells you it lost?

The machine doesn't have a "no lose" gamble. What we are saying is that even when putting the machine into test and holding the button down to force a win on each gamble it will still lose when you try to win that one.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dez said:

The machine doesn't have a "no lose" gamble. What we are saying is that even when putting the machine into test and holding the button down to force a win on each gamble it will still lose when you try to win that one.

Sounds like a BFM I was testing a while ago which refused to stop on the bell in test mode for three bells jackpot - it would always slide past as if the stop on the reel didn't exist. 

1 minute ago, Boulderdash said:

That's the one I'm running AP on at the moment. How do I work test mode please?

Press test with doors open for 20 plays, then keep cancel pressed and keep going higher. Difficult to see on pic but will do it, best it offered was £20.

Screenshot (47).png

6 minutes ago, fruitsnappa said:

Press test with doors open for 20 plays, then keep cancel pressed and keep going higher. Difficult to see on pic but will do it, best it offered was £20.

Screenshot (47).png

If I check the doors, how do I press test? With cancel held down it won't accept hi lo presses, so I'm missing a step. 

6 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

If I check the doors, how do I press test? With cancel held down it won't accept hi lo presses, so I'm missing a step. 

Put a tick in both boxes, let it set up to doors open on screen, click the test box, you'll get 20 plays. Then when you get feature keep tilde button(cancel) pressed and your mouse to click higher.

3 minutes ago, Boulderdash said:

I load the game and tick both boxes, but nothing happens. I can't click either of the test boxes

Try going into configuration and removing any numbers from the switches boxes(if there are any)

1 minute ago, fruitsnappa said:

Try going into configuration and removing any numbers from the switches boxes(if there are any)

There are numbers in the switches boxes, 38 in one and 37 in another, but they are greyed out. I don't want to clear the RAM as I've spent a few days building up the pots. 

No worries. At least you've proven to @Retrofruit that the feature exists in the program. You just can't ever climb to it in actual gameplay. 

Cheers

Ed

10 minutes ago, fruitsnappa said:

Go into edit mode(They'll go black) and you can remove them.

OK I did that, removed the numbers, but still nothing happens when I tick the doors. 

Sorry to be dim, but would you mind doing a step by step idiot guide, beginning at 'load MFME'?