Planning a build

DrB

I am planning a build, but I've never dealt with coin handling and have questions. This doesn't have to be high security as it will only be used by me at home. Cabinet will be built of 12 or 18mm hardwood ply in a bartop arcade form factor with 2 1080p monitors in (yes I realise I will have to edit virtually every layout I want to play).

I'd like it to take 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 & £2 coins, payout would be £1 and 20p (No tokens but use 20p's for token payout). I'm mainly looking to emulate the older machines of £4.80 jp era, but might go upto £15. The vertical distance from the coin slot to the payout drawer would be around 30" in my mockup.

Coin entry - I want a single coin entry without a reject coin slot (they'd reject to the payout drawer). Do these come with lights in ? The ones I've seen on ebay don't look like they do, and people mention 'getting a mount' for it, is this for wood or metal fixing ?

Coin chute - I see Mars/Paragon coin mech y-chute for £10 and people saying they will make their own. What does a Y chute do and would I need one in this case ?

Coin Mech - I'm pretty sure after reading others posts I would get a Cashflow 126 DFX, will it work with the above configuration ?

Hopper - I assume I would need 2 parallel, one for 20p and one for £1, I saw some with tubes of coins, are these for change machines or can they be used for fruit machines ? Because of the size of jackpot and physical height, would I be better off with compact ones ? Any recommendations ?

Tubes/drawer - I want the payout drawer to be just under the hold buttons at the front of the machine, would this all be gravity fed from the hoppers ? Can you use normal plumbing supplies like 1" 1/4 waste for coin routing or is it better to use flexi hoses/chutes ?

Where do the other coins go if not 20p or £1, a chute straight to a cash box ?

I have a utlimarc encoder, how many encoder inputs &  PACLed outputs would all of this use (Including lights for coin input and payout) ?

I use arcadeworlduk for previous orders, but the range of coin entry on there is pretty limited to adding credits to mame, not payouts. Are there other stores like his that have more fruit specific parts ? In particular I would like a plastic payout tray and metal/chrome surround for the screens (i really like the one on the original cloud 9 game). Or is ebay the goto place now ? Everytime I try and search for the trim i end up with a load of ceramic tile trim or t-molding, is there a name i need to search for ?

So....Just a few questions :)

I know some have been answered elsewhere in the forums, but I'd like to make sure i get everything that will work together.

Hi DrB,

I will try and answer some of your points, based on my experiences with building my Cabinet:

On 19/10/2020 at 13:06, DrB said:

Coin entry - I want a single coin entry without a reject coin slot (they'd reject to the payout drawer). Do these come with lights in ? The ones I've seen on ebay don't look like they do, and people mention 'getting a mount' for it, is this for wood or metal fixing ?

I have got a single entry coin slot, which just has a reject button, I find that this works well for me :20190207_211211.thumb.jpg.f1ad7f8d8e82af3a28a79bdb96e58d69.jpg

Behind this I personally use a Y-Chute as it allows me to get the coins from the Coin entry to the coin mech as you can see I also use a mount (metal bracket):

Coinmech.thumb.jpg.1dd678dd61486489a04e291e09d50448.jpg

On 19/10/2020 at 13:06, DrB said:

Hopper - I assume I would need 2 parallel, one for 20p and one for £1, I saw some with tubes of coins, are these for change machines or can they be used for fruit machines ? Because of the size of jackpot and physical height, would I be better off with compact ones ? Any recommendations ?

I personally use 2 x Parallel Azkoyen U hoppers (one for 10p's and one for £1) as I was advised by Wizard that this was the best config, and if 'the man' tells you what works best then in my experience, that is what you do 🙂 When I set them up I managed to obtain the mounting base so that they can 'Pay through' If you want any more info on how I have set them up, either take a look at my Building an idea thread.

I have used the routing plug on my coin mech to get the coins to go where I want, again more details on the thread above.

All the best 

Pete

20200820_174818 (2).jpg

I had read your build thread, guess I didn't realise how close what you'd done was to what i was asking.

I started ordering parts, but as always, i have more questions ;) DFX126, coin entry, new crimper & ferrules, buttons, pacled ordered...

Is the metal bracket a standard fitting or specific for the dfx 126 ? I see some on ebay labelled 'bellfruit coin mech holder', i take it i can ignore the stickers saying 'cctalk use only' on them. Are the coin chutes universal ? none of them seem to come with measurements.

Just need to find some reasonably priced hoppers now :D

Hi, I have a couple of different brackets and coin chutes, so as the saying goes 'a picture paints a thousand words' Here they are with the same coin mech and different coin chutes in the 2 different brackets:

The brackets side by side, just to show it isn't all done with smoke and mirrors 🙂

20201023_174958.thumb.jpg.98ead5fe29a3080f9338cfd90d48d1f0.jpg

The coin chutes:

20201023_175021.thumb.jpg.b3e4ca43e656b960f92f1a5f6b8b736a.jpg

The coinmech with it's coin sorter (I removed this so I could stand the metal brackets on the desk):

20201023_175046.thumb.jpg.403df559d7d07e0935ba87e07491cfbb.jpg

Bracket 1 with coin mech and both chutes:

20201023_174930.thumb.jpg.55e52189c6a79c140593ab4f6c55a860.jpg20201023_174644.thumb.jpg.3dcf9bc86d9357873b8e2aa190bebe68.jpg

Bracket 2 with coin mech and both chutes:

20201023_174814.thumb.jpg.39d57360a5d1a9074b5253b8ece811fd.jpg20201023_174741.thumb.jpg.0b2eda699b4304ab3e104f6aa33b167a.jpg

As you can see with these two brackets either combination is possible.

If you want any other photos just let me know.

15 hours ago, DrB said:

This is the one I saw, it looks like it has the right shape to me

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bellfruit-coin-mech-holder/203148254659?hash=item2f4c945dc3:g:gFsAAOSw0p5fdLue

Hi DrB, I used Kallum to get that same bracket, I also lumped in a chute and coin slot, and he gave me a discount on the postage.

All came pretty quickly and well packaged.  I'm hoping he has a 126 dfx in stock too, as it was payday yesterday!

• Thanks 1

Hi @DrB. As others have covered the coin mech, I'll start by helping with some of your other questions.

The azkoyen U parallel hoppers are best in my opinion as they are not too big, can be used with any coin and put side by side and the coins payout 'through' each other meaning they save a little space. Personally I would have a £1/10p setup so that if you do in the future, add machines that use a 10p hopper it will still be compatible. For the machines that pay 20p or token you can set MFME to eject 2x10p coins instead. But thats totally upto you and your build.

For tubing I used pond tubing which I sourced cheaply on ebay. Its durable and flexible so can be twisted and routed round everything you have in your cab. 

Hope this helps

To answer some more questions

Your pacdrive will need to spare 2 outputs for the 2 hoppers and the rest will be used for your lamps. So if you have less than 14 buttons/lights then you can get away with 1 pacdrive. If you have more then you will need to use 2.. make sure you opt for the 'always off' pacdrives (IMPORTANT!) 

Your ipac will need 6 inputs free which your coin mech will use and 1 input from each of your hoppers. As the ipac has 32 inputs, as long as you don't have any more than 24 buttons then you will get away with 1 ipac. 

Your coin mech should be set up so it routes all other coins to a cashbox (that's what I've done in mine) you will have to read the manual how to set that up as you will need to set up a routing plug for your needs. 

So more stupid hopper related questions, Is the disc that rotates sized for a specific coin or will it just spit out 1 of whatever ? I see some tubes with solenoids, can you run mixed hoppers and tubes ? Thinking 10p & £1 in hoppers, 20p tube, or is it not worth the extra hassle ? What's a good price for a hopper, they seem to be £50 + at the moment on ebay, but just the motor's with coin disc start at £10, can i make my own bucket ?

You can use 2 pacdrives even if you get the 2nd one later. I would stick with the amount of buttons you want.

Tubes would be a pain to get working as they are usually fired by 50v. I'm sure its possible but doubt it would be easy and I cannot help with that unfortunately. 

The azkoyen hoppers are universal and will accept any coin as they don't have a specific disc. They will take all sizes of coin. The coin sensor just detects something passing it to know a coin has passed through. Hope that clears things up a bit more