You will have made him Proud !

Reg

Was not sure where I should post this really, but I think this area is a suitable place and the core message is…

You have made him Proud

I was never a spokesman for Chris although at times it felt like I was during the dark times of the inner circles and everything else where I had felt nudged enough ( no joke meant ) to end up posting the odd thing that he was more concerned about then myself – but the key message here there were factions that caused the scene to be broken and they needed fixing.

Chris fixed those factions as per a new MFME and as this new dawn of MFME came and more importantly he came back into the spotlight, there is one important thing that I think I need to share ( just to correct something I read a good while ago but there was no point in bringing it up ).

He never – regardless of how it would look wanted to step on toes.  I am 100% certain that if @Guitar had carried on with Amber, MFME would not be where it is now based on conversations.  It was only when things were pretty dead on any development front and it was clear nothing was going to change from Chris and his point of view, things changed.  There was also one other change which is the T&C from MAME meant he felt more comfortable with a release and the world had moved on since the excitment from years earlier.

I know that Chris was very proud of what you as a scene had done, but this is not the proud of back then I am talking about here and would make me look at posts all the time that pleased him ( as well as those that did not – lol ).

I am talking about the proud now of after his untimely passing.

We know he made the engine but the scene made the lifeblood of the emulator. The life blood is all the designers but also people like @Amot and @Gary that provided resources.  I believe @Mavroz was also key to some parts.  I know there are more - but I also know people work in shadows so I choose to keep some names off this list - but know - you were valued, he was not always very good and saying thank you. 

The consumers of the product were also lifeblood of his engine such as @Chopaholic and @Big J for videos and questions, decide who fits where as well as all the members across all the sites.

Since his untimely passing, this site has carried on, DADsFME has carried on ( thanks @dad )  and we are still here with all the sites still alive.

I was delighted to see @Retrofruit appear and also @yippee and as a scene I feel that we are actually all a little bit closer then what were were before.

While members have taken this very hard about what has happened – looking down from the great arcade in the sky, we have carried on and I actually see a very bright future for here.

Let me do some call outs as to why ( and I know there is a lot of name dropping - apoligies for those that I miss - but you get the idea )…

@tspeirs has a great front end that if people choose, that can bring a whole new level of immersion for cabinets to life.

Some of our designers are still releasing such as @vectra666, @Clo06, @hitthesix, @wearecity, @Multi Retro Man, @slotsmagic and so on.

We have new designers coming in such as @Pootis Spencer and I’ve seen a preview of his work and think you are in for a treat.

We have new concepts and technologies coming in such as the AI upscaling that @johnparker007 has shared.

@Geddy is still doing sterling work behind the scenes for a certain functionality of the emulator and this site.

@Chopaholic is still doing his videos.

@pete_w works tirelessly in the background ensuring that our servers stay and continue to work.

These are just a few of the callouts and I am sure that @Pook and @Tommy c will be with us again soon when they feel they want to dip their toes back into the FME pond and I hope people that have been further distant such as @Ploggy create the odd layout again as well ( 28 Plays Later ! ) !

The above is why I think as a scene you have made him proud.  If I was ever to be prompted again by Chris to post something that he would like to say ( which is why I had to share that opening part ) it would be…

You carried on – you really did – my Life’s work is not Wasted

This is a very different landscape to what we had eight weeks ago – but it is still an important part to note that he would be pleased that we are still here and there are a lot of grass roots of very exciting stuff that I think we are going to see.

It is very hard to pick up again after such a terrible event - but as these grass roots of a new direction for MFME has started - I think as a scene and a small scene, we have done the man proud by what has happened since the lights were turned back on on the FME community across various sites.

Thank you for keeping the flame alive – and oh a bit of bad news – this sites domain has been renewed for a few more years. :)

Oh and in other news, I have some MPU2 layouts that @MDS made.  He only recently joined this site, but I have reached out to him to ask if he would consider releasing.  They are classics - but they are too good not to be with the world and I think Chris would have liked them shared ( but @MDS would need to make that choice ).

There are still things to see - and if every machine that can be done on the current emulator represented a star - the night sky is still full of thousands of stars.

• Like 27
  • Awesome 13

Very well said, I think we have a duty to carry on, a debt to pay on what is the greatest fme emulator of all time 

A big thanks from me to All creators, resource gatherers and everyone else from days gone to present and future that's made my dreams a reality via mfme

And who knows one day in the future, mfme maybe worked on and developed further 

I feel this won't be the end of mfme and it's updates, a bit like mankind venturing into space and the unknown!!

• Like 12

Thank you @Reg for mentioning me, I feel so pleased to be part of this fantastic community setup by the fantastic and always remembered Wizard. Without the help of everyone here, it wouldn't be what it is and I for one will gladly keep it going with either suggestions or things I can help with, including doing layouts.

I started using the emulator many years ago and Volcano was one I wanted to try and see if I could use to work out how the lights etc. were used and managed to create it. I was very pleased with it but knowing what I know now, I will be able to hopefully improve it at some point.

The help and fault fixing I got from Wizard when I reported things to him was fantastic and nothing was ever too much trouble. I thought he may have gone on holiday when I messaged him and he didn't reply but when I found out the reason, I was gutted, saddened and upset knowing he's gone so early.

May we continue with this awesome website and I thank each and every one of you that's helped me in the past with any queries I've had and Wizard for his awesomeness. I'm so pleased I had the opportunity to tell him a few times how fantastic I thought his emulator was and I'm sure you all feel exactly the same way about it :)

Love and respect to you all

• Like 10

@Reg A truly great and meaningful post and a joy to read.

I never knew Chris, and whilst this means I should in no way presume his thoughts, i'm going to do so. 

One other person deserves massive respect and a huge thank you for their tireless work always, and specifically in the last few weeks.

Without this person, none of the tributes or the remembrances would have been possible.

@reg - plain and simple - Thank you. I believe you show the true spirit of what Chris desired,

• Like 9

@Reg ever heard the song by Bryan Adams Everything I Do I Do It For You, well I do it for DIF (you know why) and everyone that has supported me since I have been here and that leads straight back to, yes you guessed it, Chris. 

You are absolutely right, our friend was the heart (and significantly still is as that will never change for me) which pumped the blood around the body of DIF with being the mind behind the operation and everyone else is what kept it moving/alive sometimes in extreme leaps and bounds (no point mentioning individuals as we all played our part), no matter if it is supplying resources, creating layouts or just posting and getting involved as not everyone is built the same. I remember the time when v20 just came out I instantly found a bug he must of thought "of all the people trust you lol" but being the perfectionist he was nothing was going to stop his Bullet Train and as I say to my son "always remember where you have come from". 

I also believe that Chris wasn't really bothered about people telling him thanks or showing appreciation because once again he just "knew" that we were getting full satisfaction out of all he did and even remember @Pook saying that as long as others enjoy his work/fruit machines he is not bothered either, to me that shows true wisdom and not interested in the noticeability factor, don't get me wrong homage should always be paid but in essence shows the true nature of a person. Now THAT is what I love about this community.

I see it this way that Chris gave his all for nothing in return now it is time to give back and do him the honour of keeping MFME full of life (which we all know he wanted) and strengthen what he has given us. He was the most unselfish person for giving and giving just to make others happy and also @Regfor also being the backbone of this community together through all times whether good or bad. If there is no more updates or further work cannot be done it is not the end of the world, we have to carry a torch and keep that flame burning with all everyone does, Chris would be furious we just stopped and that is as plain as day.

I will always be indebted to you @Wizard and to here Dads and The Mecca and will always hold you all in high regard.

Thanks again.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...