The Saddest Day

Reg

I never met him in person, and only ever spoke to him very occasionally by message on this site.

I will say, that for every donation I have ever made to this site, I always got an immediate and genuine thank you.

The free service he has provided on here has, I am absolutely sure, helped many compulsive gamblers handle their own personal demons - and i fully include myself in that list.

Not may people are good enough to make their dream a reality, and fewer still will share that across a like minded community free of charge.

RIP and thank you for everything

• Like 6

I've just seen this on social media and can't believe it. I had the pleasure to meet Chris on a few occasions at his home and to say he lived and breathed retro gaming is an understatement. His whole house from top to bottom and his custom built fruit machine garage were an enthusiasts dream with fruits, 80's video games and parts piled up all over the place.

MFME ultimately helped me kick my arcade habit and I am sure there are many similar stories. MFME will live on with new and updated layouts for years to come.

Thank you for the legacy that is MFME and MPU3/4 before it Chris and personal thanks for bringing M1A emulation to the masses. So long and thanks for everything you have done.

Rest easy in emulation heaven.

• Like 22

I'm gutted, the person who's free emulator helped me kick the habit of those dreaded fruit machines but also helped build a fantastic community.

You will be missed.

RIP Chris (Wizard), may you continue your hobby up in heaven.

Chloe x

Edited by Clo06
  • Like 13

RIP Chris thank you for the joy you have brought to many with your emulator, you have been taken from this world way to soon, condolences to your family at this sad time. As long as this community exists and people play your legacy, your memory will live on forever.

• Like 8

I have no idea how to process this, I should probably wait a bit and get my head together but I'll go with my gut reaction. Once the initial shock had passed at reading Reg's post my immediate emotion was deep sadness, and then I started crying, it just happened, and I realised how much Chris and his work have meant to me over the last twenty years. (I mean, I already knew that, in many ways my channel has been an ongoing dedication to his brilliance, but reading in black and white that he's dead is truly awful.)

Like others I credit his emulator in being a factor in me finally beating my crippling addiction to fruit machines, it was in many ways the true holy grail of fruit machine addicts, a safe space where machines could be endlessly played with no real money on the line.

This new era of fruit machine emulation started in 2016 by his release of MFME V5.1 felt like a second chance in many regards, those of who've been around since the early days know how the scene was riven by conflicts and arguments in 'Phase 1', and I'm sure many of us had regrets over things that we'd done, so to get the opportunity to all come together again, with some of us (very much including myself in this) having grown up a bit, was fantastic.

I'm glad we've all had these four 'new years' together as a scene and that Chris got to see us all show our appreciation for him with the recent 'Wine For Wizard' donation drive.

Rest in peace fella, a genuine and heartfelt thank you to you for everything, I maintain to this day that the single most exciting thing I have ever seen a computer do, is load in the demo version of Super Blackjack Club in an early version of MPU3/4, and after a couple of minutes have me realise that fruit machine emulation had become a reality, I genuinely still remember that moment to this day - and it would have never existed as a moment were it not for Chris.

Fuck I'm going to start crying again, I'll leave it there. I'll do something for the channel if I can get my shit together.

• Like 24
  • Sad 3

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

4 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

I have no idea how to process this, I should probably wait a bit and get my head together but I'll go with my gut reaction. Once the initial shock had passed at reading Reg's post my immediate emotion was deep sadness, and then I started crying, it just happened, and I realised how much Chris and his work have meant to me over the last twenty years. (I mean, I already knew that, in many ways my channel has been an ongoing dedication to his brilliance, but reading in black and white that he's dead is truly awful.)

Like others I credit his emulator in being a factor in me finally beating my crippling addiction to fruit machines, it was in many ways the true holy grail of fruit machine addicts, a safe space where machines could be endlessly played with no real money on the line.

This new era of fruit machine emulation started in 2016 by his release of MFME V5.1 felt like a second chance in many regards, those of who've been around since the early days know how the scene was riven by conflicts and arguments in 'Phase 1', and I'm sure many of us had regrets over things that we'd done, so to get the opportunity to all come together again, with some of us (very much including myself in this) having grown up a bit, was fantastic.

I'm glad we've all had these four 'new years' together as a scene and that Chris got to see us all show our appreciation for him with the recent 'Wine For Wizard' donation drive.

Rest in peace fella, a genuine and heartfelt thank you to you for everything, I maintain to this day that the single most exciting thing I have ever seen a computer do, is load in the demo version of Super Blackjack Club in an early version of MPU3/4, and after a couple of minutes have me realise that fruit machine emulation had become a reality, I genuinely still remember that moment to this day - and it would have never existed as a moment were it not for Chris.

Fuck I'm going to start crying again, I'll leave it there. I'll do something for the channel if I can get my shit together.

Well said Chops i have not put anything about this in any of my posts or threads, but like you this little program from Chris, has definitely saved my wallet, and my relationship. As well as my sanity.

• Like 4

Oh my good God,I messaged him last week to see if he was ok. Thought he was taking a well deserved holiday. Well I'm sat here with a tear iin my eyes. Never met him but he is an unbelievably talented person and an Insperation to me and many others. Gutted isnt even part of it,RIP wizard you are a legend mate.

• Like 9

A dark day not just for FME, but for the whole of emulation.

Chris produced a unique emulator, that had never been seen before and many people, who would haven't of even dared to think, such a great piece of software could ever exist, had their dream come true.

An emulator, that continue to delight fruit machine players over the past 19 years and will continue to do so for the years to come.

My own dream emulation, in the form of Top Stop, made possible by you donating the roms to the scene, as you had great taste and owned the machine.

Like life, we all haven't agreed on everything over the years, but one thing no one could ever dispute, was that you were a great coder with so much talent.

So glad we all ended up on the same side and had these glorious past 4 years of FME and on first name terms, something I could never have imagined would happen.

My only regret is I never managed to meet you in person to tell you how much joy you had bought into our lives. But I always understood you were a very private individual and respected that.

RIP Chris, until we finally meet in the great arcade in the sky and we'll see who can get the most out of a tenner through Top Stop.

Steve

• Like 14

• Reg unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic