The Saddest Day

Reg

I've read through this thread with a tear in my eye, truly touching and heartfelt messages.

Chris had such a positive impact on all of us here now (and the many people who've been regulars on these forums in the past, myself included).  

It's an inspiration to me how his work helped some people take control of their serious gambling addictions - genuine life-changing stuff.  From that place of darkness (for some at least) - this has blossomed into a 20 year explosion of creative light, from a close-knit community that built up around him.  

From Chris working tirelessly on his outstanding MFME emulator, to people dumping ROMs and capturing artwork from fruit machines far and wide, to others tying these things together to build gorgeous layouts, and yet others making websites like fruit-emu, dadsfme etc, so we could collaborate and bond over our shared love of this unique corner of our culture.

For me personally - Chris, through his work - led me on an exciting journey of discovery; delving into the innards of MFME and MAME, learning how fruit machines work, down to such abstractions as segment display signal decoding and coin mechanism security protocols... and he was an all round nice guy in our limited communications.

He has certainly left the world better than he found it.

I'll be raising a glass tonight to our fallen rider, here's to you Chris, rest in peace.

• Like 14

[ Arcade Simulator ] Pre-alpha installer: http://arcadesimulator.net  |  Known Issues: https://tinyurl.com/yz4uom2e  |  Donation info: https://tinyurl.com/yzvgl4xo
[ Community Drive ] The drive: http://tinyurl.com/yckze665
[ Fruit Machine Database ] Initial google sheets (WIP): https://tinyurl.com/2c5znxzz
[ MFME Launch ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/MFMELaunch
[ Oasis ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/Oasis
[ Sound ROM Editor ] Source code: https://github.com/johnparker007/SoundRomEditor

I am very saddened to hear this news. As a long time user of MFME in its various incarnations over the years, I can't thank Wizard enough for his tireless work for the scene. I never knew him and only exchanged a few messages when I wondered what a Characteriser was! RIP Chris, you will be missed by all.

• Like 10

Still struggling to take it in. Chris has had such a positive impact on my life no one will ever know. I deffo miss our chit chats via PMS about odd techs etc. It feels raw still to me I also never met chris but he amazed me with the knowledge he had on fruit machine techs. Peace out all.

Anthony.

• Like 16

It's still a very difficult situation to accept has happened, even though we know it has.

MFME continues to work, when it just feel like it should have stopped working the day Wizard left us. How can it possibly still be working without the man behind it. You click on the menu, check for updates, it reminds you. 

Then there are the constant reminders around the site.

You go to read a thread that's a month or so old and there's a post from Wizard in it, with advice. You can't help but do a quick double take and pause and think, hold on a second or yeah of course.

You open your PM's and there's a message between yourself and Wizard and you think, well I was only messaging him a short while ago or he was taking a look at that for me. It's like the I was only talking to them the other day, they can't be gone.

Then there's the if Wizard was here, he'd answer that situation, that seems to be a daily occurence.

Also, the posts when Wizard had gone, but we were unaware and speaking about him in the present tense,  I'm sure Wizard will fix that, look at that, he's taking a well earned rest etc.....

I thought people including myself would move on, but it hits you in the face every time at some point, when you're on the forums, things will never be the same.

Of course, the situation, will gradually become more acceptable, but it just seem like he needs to be here to complete his project and he's been robbed of that opportunity.

• Like 17

What can I say that has not already been said. I've returned to this topic a few times over the last couple of days thinking it may have been some sort of hoax or something similar and that the topic may have been removed and everything was back to normal, guess I was wrong and now have to take in the reality of what has happened.

I didn't know Wizard in the way that many people on here did, yet through his emulator I feel that in some way I did. MFME oozes dedication, it clearly shows a lot of patience, thought and love went into it and guess these are things that made up the man who created it. Many a time Chris (Wizard) could have simply walked away and turned his attention to other things but he didn't, instead he came back and gave us all what we have today, for that I am thankful.

R.I.P Wizard. Gone but never forgotten 

Edited by seedyrom
  • Like 10

I obviously didn't know the man behind MFME. Found the emulator way back in the day. It was 1. Something.  So very early. But capable of playing fruits. Have had many versions since. But I haven't had any update since 5.0. So I have no idea how it's evolved since. 

I have always seen the name on the splash boot screen of the emus. Often thinking to myself. This guy has done so much for people with this thing. Helped people struggling with addiction. And also obviously helped people who wanted some nostalgic fun. 

Was very sad to hear about his passing. Which I discovered through Degsy. Even without knowing him I felt saddened. Because of course death is always sad. But it hit me how much he'd done for so many people. How many he had helped. So I shed a tear. 

You truly were a wizard. 

Rest in Peace.  ❤️

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, LitaHOF said:

I obviously didn't know the man behind MFME. Found the emulator way back in the day. It was 1. Something.  So very early. But capable of playing fruits. Have had many versions since. But I haven't had any update since 5.0. So I have no idea how it's evolved since. 

I have always seen the name on the splash boot screen of the emus. Often thinking to myself. This guy has done so much for people with this thing. Helped people struggling with addiction. And also obviously helped people who wanted some nostalgic fun. 

Was very sad to hear about his passing. Which I discovered through Degsy. Even without knowing him I felt saddened. Because of course death is always sad. But it hit me how much he'd done for so many people. How many he had helped. So I shed a tear. 

You truly were a wizard. 

Rest in Peace.  ❤️

It has evolved in so many leaps and bounds, v20 as well as v19 is absolutely amazing, players as well as layout creators will all tell you that and it couldn't be more true. 

Thanks to you and all that have paid their respects here, MFME will live on in his name.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Such terrible news I've just read through here with tears in my eyes, All of the years have been great he did indeed help most if not all of us out with our gambling addictions! he is a legend and will remain that forever! "iv been here for allot of years" all have been fun I only pop in from time to time now but am always very great full for all of your work each and every single one of you! Thank you all.

Rest in piece Wizard

Binksy

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Where have I been for the last three months?  I've only found out about this, this afternoon!!

Most saddened and devostated to learn the news.  Sadly never met Wizard but have communicated with him by email and over the forums over the years.  Wezard's emulators have given me many hours of fun and memories of fruit machines I used to play.  I'm sure it will give me many more years of fun too. 

RIP Wizard

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, niallquinn said:

Was just thiking, back in the day, the excitement of, will he release a new version at Christmas?  The joy when it happened.

Wizard was never a one to release just because it was Xmas, New Year etc.... But it didn't stop us dreaming. 

Releases always seemed to be on a random wet Tuesday at 7.22pm. Then it was blurry eyes the next morning for work after being up until 3am chatting in Mirc and playing it.

• Like 10
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, wearecity said:

Wizard was never a one to release just because it was Xmas, New Year etc.... But it didn't stop us dreaming. 

Releases always seemed to be on a random wet Tuesday at 7.22pm. Then it was blurry eyes the next morning for work after being up until 3am chatting in Mirc and playing it.

I have wondered whether Chris did this on purpose to find out if irl was more important or MFME (MFME most certainly) that crafty devil, either way we were always kept on the edge of our seats.

Will be in church on Sunday morning so will say a blessed prayer for him.

Have a Merry Xmas all and wish health and happiness to each and every one of you.

• Like 10

• 4 weeks later...

Sad news indeed.

When I discovered MFME around 10 years ago, Wizard had left the community, so I never got to speak to him.
And when I popped in to see what layouts were being made from time to time, and noticed he was back and updating MFME again, I was never around long enough to get to know him.

But it's clear that he had a lot of friends here.
The software that he created, and the community that built up around it is something to be proud of.
I hope he was.

RIP mate.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading through all these comments again, still in shock months later. 

Someone mentioned a Wizard's Day, but I wondered if there's any interest in an annual Wizard's Meet Up to honour the great man - either a few beers somewhere or even a short break at Butlins or Center Parcs (which, out of school holidays is not too expensive)?

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Wow.  I've been away for a while with the pandemic, lockdown, shielding, turning 50, new PC (so still reinstalling stuff 5 months later)  another lockdown so shielding again etc and have only just come back on to see what's going on in the world of fruit machine emulation and I saw this news.  RIP Wizard.  Your gift to the world does not go unappreciated.  You allowed me to revisit part of my youth and this doesn't happen very often in this world...

• Like 11

• 5 weeks later...

I literally just joined and noticed that the wonderful creator has passed away. I wish his family and loved ones my sincere condolences. He will not be forgotten as there will always be people, who will love and play these great machines using his awesome emulator and layouts. May his soul rest forever in peace.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, djhexy said:

I've only just joined here, but have used MFME for many happy years, I just wish I joined here sooner to say thank you him personally for the many hours of pleasure his efforts have given me, rest well Mr Wizard ❤️

Thank you for your kind words and remember you can still thank him for his emulators and posts of help/fixes, he also released a few layouts too I believe Cash or Nudge being one of them which I still have and is in the Legacy area.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 3