The Saddest Day

Reg

I am sorry I haven't posted before, just haven't known what to say, which is a common theme running through everyone's touching tributes.  I was deeply ssddened to learn of Wizard's passing.  Whilst it's true we had a turbulent past, in more recent times it was much calmer.

When he released his Cash or Nudge, shortly after I happened to mention the machine in a post, I was so chuffed that in spite of our past he had given me my most wanted emulation. He was like that, a bit gruff, but a big hearted spirit.

I hope he was justly proud of the scene he created and the admiration and adoration for his work, as expressed in the thoughts in this thread, shows that proudness we have in him.  I doubt any of us have on our devices a piece of software which is so long lived, so well used, so complex and free at the point of use.  That Wizard could have been incredibly wealthy developing and selling other software but chose to invest in our toy which was given for free and which had such a profound effect on so many peoples lives is truly astonishing and altruistic in this world.

RIP Chris / Wizard, wherever you are now they are lucky to have you and sadly it is our loss.  Tonight I have toasted MFME, your most magnificent of creations and thank you from the bottom  of my heart.  The scene will be less bright without you around.

Gary

• Like 20

21 minutes ago, barcrest junky said:

The scene will be less bright without you around.

I know its hard Gary..but i hope that us members with what Chris has left us, that we shine so bright and continue his work, so when Chris looks down upon us, He is so proud of what enjoyment he has left for others.

• Like 16

8 hours ago, barcrest junky said:

When he released his Cash or Nudge, shortly after I happened to mention the machine in a post, I was so chuffed that in spite of our past he had given me my most wanted emulation. He was like that, a bit gruff, but a big hearted spirit.

This is so true, Top Stop and others had roms released by him, despite our difference of opinions in the early days and he knew I was desperate to see it emulated as I used to keep going on about the machine. 

• Like 13

I can't believe what I'm reading.  To say I'm shocked, and saddened would be an understatement. My deepest sympathies goes out to his closest family, and friends.  He will be sorely missed in the FME community. :(

Wizard was the man!  If it weren't for him I would still be throwing away money in the fruities, probably.  Finding MPU3/4 in the early 2000's cured me of my addiction - so I'll always be eternally grateful to Wizard for that.  Thanks for the memories, and the last twenty years.

• Like 19

Just logged on horrendous news so sad for someone who did so much. Over the last 15 years whenever have had difficult stressful times just loading up fme can help so much especially during lockdown. Helped me with anxiety over the years so much. Thanks for making it possible never met you but clearly a very talented individual who gave so much words cant express to the fme scene. RIP wizard 

• Like 12

Incredibly saddened to hear this news.  It's hard to put into words that would be ample enough to convey my gratitude for you being the driving force behind such a special scene.

Emulation has always been about the preservation of the hardware, the fact we derive such pleasure from it is a bonus. Thanks for creating an amazing piece of software that we will all still be playing for many years to come, if that is your legacy.. How truly awesome.

Rest easy fella!

Nick

Edited by Bodie
  • Like 11

What that man gave us is a legacy, he gave us the opportunity to play the games we loved (and hated) that we can never lose, he didn't just fling together some flimsy piece of software, he constructed something to emulate what an entire industry has made it's money on, for free, many people look at FM's as a plague, probably rightfully so, however it became part of our lives at some point, he gave us the opportunity, at absolutely zero cost to wind away hours upon hours of nostalgic memories, for some as mentioned before, it helped save there lives, finances, marriages, everything!  Now in this day of what is certainly the swan song of analogue fruit machines, there legacy is most important and he, himself created it, he will go down in history, maybe a small part of history but history nonetheless,

RIP my man.

• Like 15

Such sad news, I still find it difficult to process like many others. Thank you for the wonderful emulator and the constant improvements over the years. If it wasn't for MFME I would probably be spunking my money away every pay day. Thanks for helping cure my addiction (11 years and counting) and many other people's. I now have a wife and 3 boys and am eternally grateful for your part in helping me kick the nasty habit. I can play all these machines for free now so thanks again.

RIP Chris (wizard)

• Like 13

Completely lost for words,

Most of us I think have barely scratched the surface on what lies within MFME and the work and dedication that went into it. I know for me it will give me years of pleasure tinkering around inside, the Electro Emulation side was the work of a pure genius defying all those that said it could never be done.

Who can I bug now when I am stuck, well I have a feeling you will be there in spirit with a sign when I need it.

Thank you Chris and RIP.

• Like 13

Just got the news. Thanks Choppers.

Not much I can say really. Over the past ten or more years I have begun to realise that you don't need to physically meet someone to mourn their passing. They just need to have touched your life, and for you to realise that without them your life will not be the same. It also wouldn't have been the same if you hadn't known them in the first place.

My life moved in a very different direction over a decade ago and FME was not something I wanted to continue with. However that doesn't mean that I will ever not be thankful for the truly shit times it did get me through and the messes it kept me out of.

Sadly I did give an open invite to Chris to meet up with myself and a fellow friend of his but he refused. I am glad I did that, I would regret it if I had not.

Life has moved on greatly in the past 20 years, but that doesn't mean I am ever too complacent to forget.

From the moment we met and spent hours talking about Line Up and MPU3 sound to our spats and arguments. I will never forget any of it, as everything was a lesson.

God speed Chris. I hope you are coding up there.

Pandy.

• Like 19

I read this last night but wanted to give it a day to just give it time to sink in. I didnt know Chris personally but i echo a lot of people in this thread..i feel so so sad. Like a lot of people on here Chris' software opened my eyes to the realities of fruit machines. I think the more i was able.to play on my pc the less i was bothered to play for real and im forever grateful to him.

Rest in Peace Chris

• Like 15

Since COVID i havent spent much time online but more time with my family,

I log on today and read this sad news

I was never a big poster but have follwwed Wizards creation for many years and even leant the skills to create using the tools this genuis brought to us

While i did not know Wizard/Chris what he did for many 100's and 1000's of people was create a community of giving and sharing and loving, the world of FME is a family like no other

I dont have words of how i feel apart from i am deeply saddened by this news

Wizard/Chris may you Rest In Peace and thank you for the many years of happiness you have brough us all

Your legacy will never be forgotten

Sam

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Jmgoff68 said:

RIP wizard

i never knew him but what ive read from the post is he was a great man who will be sadly missed

taken far too soon

massive respects jeff😢

Hi

Not many of us here actually knew Wizard and even less of us actually met him, Reg the site owner here being one such, but we have sent messages to him through this board and others, and we have shared with him though his legacy MFME a small part of him, and although we will never have an update there are so many machines that can be emulated, by keeping the scene going, is the best legacy we can have for the man who touched us all Chirs J Wren.

• Like 14