The Saddest Day

Reg

This is truly a sad sad loss. Passing away so early, a great man who I owe alot to, allowing me to play machines which i never thought that i would ever play again, and many other which ive never played. Re -living my past ( for good and bad), I never let go of the amazement i feel that we can now play these machines for free on our PCs.  
Thank you Chris for all you've done and i think its an example for how short life can be and how we should all be nicer to each other.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Hey there Jason thanks for checking in. I woke up early again and couldn't get back to sleep, but I do feel a little bit better today, this thread has helped, seeing how many lives he touched and made such a positive difference to, what an amazing legacy.

I'm going to finish work at 2:45pm today and walk out to a nearby beach, find a quiet place and pay my respects to Chris whilst the funeral service is in progress, and I'll upload a picture for the virtual wake a bit later on.

I haven't been able to play MFME since I heard the news, I've loaded layouts in but have just left them running in attract mode, it seems disrespectful somehow to play them before the funeral.

That said though, the feeling I'm getting more and more is that the scene must carry on, even though we have lost the great man who made it all possible, his legacy must live on, and through the FME community Chris will live on in our hearts and minds.

Hopefully his family will read the letter that Harvey wrote, and understand how many people he meant so much to.

You are absolutely right Alex and will try my hardest to stay off MFME just for today, thank you for the jolt.

You are feeling a bit better so that is good, like me it comes and goes from time to time but the hard shock is starting to gradually go. I was fine before walking into Westminster Cathedral today, as soon as I got in the door I was off again, felt like a wally but better out than in, nearly burnt myself cause I couldn't see the candle and had to keep silent in case I blasphemed or swore. I was dreading it but it is done now and will pop up there one last time to do a video for him over the weekend and light one for all of us including his family/friends in his personal life. It is the least I can do even if it gets me started again, would of done today but just about managed this.

This is when we truly understand what people whether in real life or online mean to us, something to reflect on.

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, evo1 said:

I know it will, its.......... just been a tough day for all of us. Am just sat here wondering how life can be shit sometimes.

It is a god awful day, I know.  What helped me today is the Virtual Wake thread.

Looking through all the pictures with a single dedication from each person there.  It does not take the pain away but it is a shared pain and if it helps, I carry your pain as you carry mine and that goes for everyone else too.

What I've learnt is that the threads over the past few days that we may not be the biggest community in the world, but what we have is ties and relationships that are likely stronger then 95% of most emulation communities.  I should have guessed that by the Wine for Wizard drive, but this week it just cemented it.

The one defining factor is Chris brought us all together.  When you look at that age of the people on the Virtual Wake thread that shows that as good people, we will hold this together.

Life is shit - but you know what - you are feeling shit and that is the most important feeling because it shows you care.

• Like 20

24 minutes ago, evo1 said:

I know it will, its.......... just been a tough day for all of us. Am just sat here wondering how life can be shit sometimes.

I feel it too and we all have to come to terms in different ways including you. What you said is exactly what our dear friend would say and a few others have echoed but a little time out to try and comprehend what has happened will help, baby steps mate, baby steps, that is my way. Stop, breathe and feel free to tell him how you feel whether by PM or to yourself.

Tell you what though he has certainly woke me up mentally, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. 

We are here for you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Reg said:

It is a god awful day, I know.  What helped me today is the Virtual Wake thread.

Looking through all the pictures with a single dedication from each person there.  It does not take the pain away but it is a shared pain and if it helps, I carry your pain as you carry mine and that goes for everyone else too.

What I've learnt is that the threads over the past few days that we may not be the biggest community in the world, but what we have is ties and relationships that are likely stronger then 95% of most emulation communities.  I should have guessed that by the Wine for Wizard drive, but this week it just cemented it.

The one defining factor is Chris brought us all together.  When you look at that age of the people on the Virtual Wake thread that shows that as good people, we will hold this together.

Life is shit - but you know what - you are feeling shit and that is the most important feeling because it shows you care.

Yes Reg, life can be shit at times, I'm coming through a traumatic time myself. It's friends, neighbours, relatives, people who I've never met in person on the internet who get you through the dark times. The FME Community has been a part of my life for 17 years now and I have made many friends. Today we can reflect on Chris's work and how he has created not only an Emulator, but a following that will go on in his memory.

Ricardo

• Like 16

@superbank thank you so much for your input on the other thread, it was amazing to hear some kind words from his niece. I can't thank you enough, that goes for @Retrofruit too, I'm speechless, what a journey made me struggle through that for a while and with the combination of both, ok ok you got me again.

Thank you so very very much.

Edited by Big J
Earlier correction failed
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to echo Big J's words there, it's so lovely to know we've brought some joy to what must have been the toughest of days for Chris's family, that we've opened the door a little into our little corner of the internet and they can see what he did for us, and what he and his talents meant to us.

I'll be totally honest, since reading the news on Sunday to this point, I have been sad and felt a tremendous sense of loss regarding Chris's passing, but I hadn't cried. 

Seeing the message from Chris's niece changed that. 

I don't mind admitting it. I feel better for letting it out.

• Like 11
  • Awesome 1

What a great end to a sad day.  To hear from his family via Supabank and then to get some idea of who Wizard was as a person is fantastic, plus anyone who goes out with The Who deserves extra kudos.  

So as my tribute and farewell to the person as i know as Wizard i'm going to listen to my favourite fruit machine song and call it a night.

• Like 10

Devastating and very surprising news.

I have read through both this thread and the virtual wake thread and it is heart warming to see so many positive sentiments expressed by so many members in our community at such a sad time.

RIP Wizard.

I didn't know Chris personally and alas never got to meet him. Bar a few PMs over the years (where Chris always came across as very personable with incredible knowledge)  I have no idea of his personal life, what he looked like, if he had sugar in his tea etc

However if we had met, I'm sure we'd have had a great deal in common like no doubt, everyone else on this forum. We all share this very niche interest and have been united by our journey through life with this lunatic obsession that normal people (whoever they are!)  find hard to process.

Emulation is the salve to this obsession that creates a unique perspective that has brought us all excitement over the years. I can only really say a few(!) words about my own experiences with emulation to pay tribute to Chris and thank him again for his wonderfully clever creation, fruit machine emulation.

So in the younger years of my life, I experienced the addiction many on this site and similar will have experienced and of course the negative consequences which that entails. Without going into too much detail about 'gambling low ebbs', I alienated close friends, squandered my super market minimum wages, got into debt and let my education and personal life suffer. Nothing controversial about that within the confines of AWP addict land, although of course, back in those days if you had asked me about fruit machine emulation, I'd have said it didn't exist (well it didn't back then) and that you could get simulators, but they definitely weren't the real deal, they were a poor man's stop gap. 

By this point I had signed up to a few AWP forums on line, as Internet access via PC was becoming more common as a household item. I can't remember exactly where, but this link to an emulator was touted on one of these forums. Being of a cynical nature, I was convinced this would be a disappointing load of nonsense. I did made it my business to check it out however as there were some excited noises being made about the emulator on various forums, but I was still sceptical.

One name was coming through loud and clear as the mastermind behind this emulator. Chris J. Wren. Well I didn't believe it. I had made up my mind that I'd download this thing and being the expert player that I obviously was, I'd seek out the discrepancies between the real machine and the so called emulated version and put this nonsense to bed once and for all. Surely this was only another variant of some of the Mike Wood's games (simulators) that were available to buy at the time? This Chris Wren bloke had a mighty cheek claiming this was 'emulation'! Or so I thought. 

So the night came where I downloaded whatever it was you could download back then and I guess I wasn't the very first in the queue as I don't recall a 'demo' version of anything with limited credits but I do recall playing Pot Black by Barcrest as my very first layout on Wizard's MPU3 emu. There may have been other layouts available. I think Super Blackjack and Alphabet, maybe some other Barcrest clubber with beach balls were floating around at the time. However Pot Black was a game I knew well and something my addict self would have sessioned back in the day so given the choices, this was first play for sure.

It quickly became apparent that this was the genuine thing. I'm not 100% sure when the penny dropped but it was a combination of the sounds, 'light patterns', timing and obviously genuine game play and profile. Pot Black in real life and of course the emulator, bizarrely never honoured three time holds, but would give let 'em spins. So when the penny did drop with me, that this was not a wind up and was a totally genuine product my scepticism quickly turned into joy. The name Chris J. Wren was synonymous with this magic software and was clearly a name worthy of very great respect. A respect that has lasted for twenty years and hasn't faded with subsequent revisions and sessions on the emulator.

If anything the respect can only grow, even posthumously for Chris. Once again kudos to a true legend, the founder of FME.

• Like 16

I hate to pick out a couple of posts as so many people have said so many wonderful things over the past few days, however I would like to especially mention superbank's post in The Virtual Wake thread, to know that Chris's family have found out about the happiness and joy he brought into so many lives has really uplifted me. I also know that some scene members worked hard to put the pieces together on what had happened and Harvey managing to get a letter printed out for the family to direct them here was a brilliant endeavour.

I read superbank's post late yesterday evening before going to bed and to see the message from Amy, Chris's niece, honestly lifted some of the darkness of the last few days.

Also Retrofruit's post in the same thread, every word totally from the heart and I'm sure it resonated with all of us.

I've been on the internet a long time, and I've been a member of many online communities, and I don't think I've ever seen a community come together and stand united as the FME Scene has following the loss of Wizard.

'I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars'.

Fruit Machine Emulation's star will always be Chris, and for as long as we carry the torch for him and his emulator, his star will shine.

• Like 18
  • Awesome 2

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

The message which came in from Amy and the contact from his cousin (on the shoutbox) is what makes this bearable and gives hope. It's so amazing to know that the family are now aware of how much Chris provided for this community and as an introvert he would not be one to shout that from the roof tops so I am sure they would not have been aware.

I can't load MFME at the moment and I'm sure it will be some time before I can, but I hope that I can again in the future when the grief turns into more positive thoughts.

• Like 13

I'll just add my voice to the many here who are stunned at this loss.

It's very difficult to know what to say; we each of us here owe Chris a very large debt for his genius, tenacity, dedication and above all, generosity. Where would half or more of us be, were it not for him? I do know that in my own case, his emulators did something truly magical: they turned a dark, dangerous, destructive habit threatening the very core of my family, into something harmless, fun and enjoyable. I seriously doubt that anyone outside of our circle here could even comprehend what I'm talking about, but I do know fine well that this amazing transfiguration of a terrible demon into happy, harmless fun will resonate with many. And all down to the genius of one man.

Like many others here, I'm sad to say that I never met Chris in person, but I very much enjoyed the odd chat with him over the years - his enthusiasm for the cause was undimmed in 20 years, it seemed to me - and his achievements and legacy will stand for all time.

Just remains to say: what a total legend, Chris. You were, and very much remain, a true inspiration to us all. I salute you.

RIP Chris.

Simon (Cavey)

• Like 14

Yes some great posts from members yesterday and I think over the past 72 hours or so, it's been a very respectful send off for Wizard, with the whole FME community coming together like never before. 

It is time to move on, but I'm sure we will have constant reminders over the years, as well as a few moments where some members out of the loop, will find out the shocking news.

I've already had a I'll ask Wizard that moment and it does bring home, that a huge void now exists that will never be filled. 

I hope one day we will get some more insight to the man behind the Wizard username, so we know how to honour his memory in the way he would have liked. 

• Like 13

As Neil Diamond said;

"Yesterday's gone, now all I want is a smile"

A last check in today after some drowning their sorrows last night (Shite I got a bloody migrane) and to those that didn't or don't drink, it is brilliant that we all have said our bit and paid our respects in our own little ways and very thankful I got to be a part of it.

Still a long way to go but keep your chins up everyone and I will try and smile and remember the good times.

Jason

• Like 11

It's lovely that Chris's family have seen the kind words about him. I've been through the untimely loss of a close family member, as no doubt have others on here. Hearing that your loved one was valued so highly by others takes away some of the emptiness of the loss, and is massively relieving at what is a dark time.

It's a great thing this community has done.

It looks like there wasn't mention of a preferred charity. I think this is something many would be keen to donate to still, but there will be plenty time to sort this out in the coming days. Those who had a closer connection with Chris can hopefully help guide this.

• Like 13

• Reg unpinned this topic
  • Reg pinned and unpinned this topic

Hello my name is Marc,

I am a bit Late but had to wait for Permission to Post.

The News about Wizzards sudden Passing reached me via Degsy´s  Video and i am Heartbroken. I posted this under Degsy´s Video and i wanted to Post it here aswell because Wizzard meant alot to us here in Germany:

Wizzard´s Work put so many People together. I am from Germany and His Work Helped us Emulate alot of the German Fruit Machines before they where Outlawed a few Years ago. I met so many cool People because of his Work. Our FB page FruitemuzoneFans is a Derivate of our former Forum called Fruitemu-Zone. I was on Conventions meeting the People responsable for the German Machine Emulation and we grew big Friends over that. Arround 15 Years(20+ Years of total Gambling) im in this Scene and this News is so Sad and Breaks my Heart. I still remembering reading out the Roms of my Battle-Axe and Shanghai Suprise Machines to give em to our Layout Guys and to see what it turned into. Without Wizzard nothing of that would have happend. Chris - Thank you for all your efforts,Dedication,Love and everything you put into the MFME Scene in the last 20 Years. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

In the Name of the German Fruitemuzone - THANK YOU WIZZARD - THANK YOU CHRIS!

Marc

• Like 17
  • Awesome 4