The Saddest Day

Reg

Totally shocked and saddened to hear Chris passing away.  Although I did not know him personally, without all his efforts this scene would not exist as it does today.

Condolences to all his friends and family.

RIP Chris.

Edited by ace5k
  • Like 5

I've written and deleted this a few times, but here goes. Still finding this hard to take, I think it's fair to say I'd never have had any interest in this scene without him (would any one?). As I think about him, I think of pratting about with MPU3/4 as a student in the pre MERC days seeing if I could work out the layout. I never did. But as an excuse to teach me more visual programming, which ultimately led to what I do for a living, it was a damn fun one.

He'll be missed, but this scene being as strong as it is now is a real testament to him.

• Like 11

There has been a slight development on information.   Thanks again to the member behind the scenes that put me in contact with the right people, I will let them step forward if they choose to.

• 24th August 2020 was the day that Chris passed away. *
  • He will have family representation at his funeral so due to Covid conditions that makes it impossible to attend in person.

I have given the funeral directors my name and number and asked them to pass it onto the family.

I have also written an email to them as well that they will pass on.

* This came from the funeral director but cannot be 100% certain that I heard this right based on forum events and a comment I heard elsewhere. ( edited 09/08/21 )

image.png.f0ccf6a0f3223bade2c36b628acccd13.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 7
  • Awesome 10
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Retrofruit said:

Thank you Harvey.

It can't be easy for you whilst this is all still so raw but I am sure the community are all appreciative of your efforts to try and make some sense of this.

Thank you - as I also pass on my thanks to the person behind the scenes who helped me with contact details.

We're all here for each other and I think that shows the strength of what our community is.

Edit to Add:
The funeral directors have just come back to me. 
They have the letter and have printed it out and put it in an envelope to pass to the family.
The family of Chris will know how loved he was and what impact he made to us each on individual levels.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Awesome 11

Thank you Harvey, that really means a lot to me and I'm sure many others as well.

TBH I'm genuinely taken aback by how hard this has hit me, I knew that Chris and his work had been a big part of my life over the last 19 years, so logically it would make sense for me to be upset by his passing, but then again I never actually spoke to him, and whilst we have exchanged messages over the years and quite a few friendly ones in this 'new era' of FME, I'd be lying if I said I was in any way close to him.

And yet, thinking about it, he did speak to me, he spoke to all of us, every single time we load in MFME, Chris is speaking to us, because it is so much the passion project of a single person. It's not like when the credits roll on a modern videogame and about six million names scroll up the screen, MFME is basically Chris, the work of one man and his incredible talent and dedication to make MFME the very best emulator he possibly could.

So to have that voice suddenly fall silent, to know that the brilliant mind behind MFME is no longer with us, really fucking hurts, I've properly been in bits over it, I woke up at 5:30am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, thinking about Chris and FME. I can't concentrate on anything today, I'm properly useless, I'm going to book the afternoon off and go for a long walk and try to rationalise it all through.

RIP Chris.

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 13
  • Sad 4

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

Only just heard the news truly devastating, MFME like most of us has been apart of my daily routine for years and has brought me many thousands of hours of joy re living my younger days.

thanks for everything you did Chris.

R.I.P

Edited by Ross
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Reg said:

There has been a slight development on information.   Thanks again to the member behind the scenes that put me in contact with the right people, I will let them step forward if they choose to.

• 24th August 2020 was the day that Chris passed away.
  • He will have family representation at his funeral so due to Covid conditions that makes it impossible to attend in person.

I have given the funeral directors my name and number and asked them to pass it onto the family.

I have also written an email to them as well that they will pass on.

image.png.f0ccf6a0f3223bade2c36b628acccd13.png

Thank you bud...

It has been a hard year for many of us this year, myself losing two immediate family members, but this sad news has come as just a shock too. The scene was fresher, flourishing and that feeling of 'togetherness' was back again have such a long hiatus in the FME world.

His family will be feeling pain that none of us can describe for them, but I hope your words of comfort and support, and them knowing that he was loved and indeed idolised' by many, will give them the strength they need through their darker days to rally and realise just how precious he was to them, and indeed, to us all.

Be at peace Chris x

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

Thank you Harvey, that really means a lot to me and I'm sure many others as well.

TBH I'm genuinely taken aback by how hard this has hit me, I knew that Chris and his work had been a big part of my life over the last 19 years, so logically it would make sense for me to be upset by his passing, but then again I never actually spoke to him, and whilst we have exchanged messages over the years and quite a few friendly ones in this 'new era' of FME, I'd be lying if I said I was in any way close to him.

And yet, thinking about it, he did speak to me, he spoke to all of us, every single time we load in MFME, Chris is speaking to us, because it is so much the passion project of a single person. It's not like when the credits roll on a modern videogame and about six million names scroll up the screen, MFME is basically Chris, the work of one man and his incredible talent and dedication to make MFME the very best emulator he possibly could.

So to have that voice suddenly fall silent, to know that the brilliant mind behind MFME is no longer with us, really fucking hurts, I've properly been in bits over it, I woke up at 5:30am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep, thinking about Chris and FME. I can't concentrate on anything today, I'm properly useless, I'm going to book the afternoon off and go for a long walk and try to rationalise it all through.

RIP Chris.

Hi 

I am in agreement with all you have said chops, but i am not affected in the same way as you and more so Harvey who had actually met Chris, I am saddened by his passing like everyone here, but not affected like you have been i could hear that in your video that you posted last night. I think this is more to do with the way i have deal with this sad life event. But my thoughts are with Chris's Family at this sad time, and I hope your long walk helps you work through your feelings at this sad times. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Chopaholic said:

RIP Chris.

I feel exactly the same as you, and I couldn't have summed it up better.

I also did not know Chris personally but as I have used his software almost daily for the past 19 years then it binds to those same emotions of knowing a person for the same amount of time and the grief is processed the same.

I am really happy that Chris's family may read these posts in time and see the power of what he has achieved.

Achievements and progression in our world are generally made by gifted genius individuals who possess intellect, creativity and dedication which all fuse together in a strive for perfection which unlock those things for us all to then benefit from and enjoy. MFME is an example of this and I am so glad to have had the opportunity to speak with Chris throughout the years about his passion. 

• Like 12

@Chopaholic I couldn't agree more, I had very little sleep and woke up to log in as usual like a normal day and ran right back into it, wish I hadn't of logged on but glad I did as want to get this out my system (could do with one of those proverbial slaps from Chris). I met a friend yesterday as needed one (close friends for over 40 years and is my voice of reasoning) and told him what had happened "Don't know why I'm so upset I never knew him", you know what he said as he knows and asks about my emulation world from time to time...

"He will mean as much to you as your enjoyment of fruit machines on his software that you play, you not knowing him personally is irrelevant as it is always possible for someone to touch your heart for what they do for you, you have felt a loss and it is totally natural. The best thing to do is never forget and always think of them in the initial stages as it helps you come to terms with it, remember you don't know what you have until it is gone. Laugh, love, cry, enjoy life, be humble, show appreciativeness, show empathy and most importantly embrace life as anything can happen at any given time" 

It has taken to me losing our dear friend to realise what a prat I have been at times and my attitude as has made me wake up and smell the coffee so apologise to anyone who I have been off with or have offended. I just want him back for 5 minutes just to talk to him face to face to say goodbye personally, fuck this is hard, it really hurts pass the damn tissues, just want to give him a hug and say a personal thanks. Funny thing that did bring a smile to my face last night I decided to play Superpots for a little and when I started collecting out the bank by obviously holding down "C" the machine suddenly just turned off for no reason, I instantly said "thanks Chris cheers" and smiled slightly, feel him with me more so now than ever when I play (had strange things happen before in the house before so does not surprise me), then swore I went higher than a 2 for it to go to a 7 and lose which made me laugh. A silly thing to type but is exactly what happened weird but accepted.

When the time comes for everyone a thread should be set up for everyone's own most memorable moment with Chris, anything that springs to mind whether here, in a PM or personally as keep seeing what Reg said above  "I know and can image he would be saying as we used to chat on Skype, "Don't be so bloody stupid - do you know how much work I put into this". Chris through and through and brought a glimmer of a smile too, laugh now even with watery eyes. Would like to see a picture of him @Reg just to have a chat but if not I'll pop into his profile now and then for a chat.

Sorry to have gone on but needed to get a few things off my chest with his FME family, we was and that will never change.

You all stay safe and well out there and if anyone needs someone we are here for you.

• Like 8

So sad to read this awful news.

I never really knew Wizard personally myself, as I am still relatively new ish to the emulator scene, but found him so helpful and the things he brought to this forum must have been immense.

I can't begin to imagine the work/hours that must have gone into putting everything together.

RIP Wizard, such shocking news

• Like 7

After much reflection in this nightmare of Wizard's passing,I feel as though I've lost my father,or a family member,well to put it bluntly,my Fruity emulation father,I feel for all of you who are feeling empty and not knowing what to do next,it's not like me be be tearful,but in this case I keep becoming overwhelmed in grief,I just want you all here to know you are not alone,we are one together in Wizard's memory,and we and his emulator are his legacy.I am just glad I had the chance to let him know via PM,how much joy and pleasure his emulator had brought to me over the years,it is a PM i shall never delete,and something I can revisit in better times.

He was never too busy to try and help me out with a problem.                                                           

Fruity Emulation certainly will never be the same again :(

• Like 7

• Reg unpinned, pinned and unpinned this topic