Samples within games

jackpotjon05

Hi, I dont know if anyone would know the answer to this question, but been playing some of the amazing sounds in samples that some of these fantastic classics produce....

But the question I have is.....Are not all of them necessarily used in normal gameplay or are some of them just there and weren't used?

The reason I mention this is because I was playing some in The Mob and never heard of some? Esp sample 16 as definitely not a sound I've ever heard in gameplay and probably on many others

so hopefully someone can answer the question.

Many thanks.

Yep, they were probably almost always used I would think, due to the limits of the ram size available for samples.

However, The Mob is a good example.  Is 16 the "farkin sneaky bastard" one?  Probably just left in by the programmer for his own enjoyment, then as you say, never actually used in the game when it was released.

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jackpotjon05 said:

Hi, I dont know if anyone would know the answer to this question, but been playing some of the amazing sounds in samples that some of these fantastic classics produce....

But the question I have is.....Are not all of them necessarily used in normal gameplay or are some of them just there and weren't used?

The reason I mention this is because I was playing some in The Mob and never heard of some? Esp sample 16 as definitely not a sound I've ever heard in gameplay and probably on many others

so hopefully someone can answer the question.

Many thanks.

Could be a certain feature sound

ezgif-6-228f2c936d48.gif

On 11/09/2020 at 15:17, niallquinn said:

Yep, they were probably almost always used I would think, due to the limits of the ram size available for samples.

However, The Mob is a good example.  Is 16 the "farkin sneaky bastard" one?  Probably just left in by the programmer for his own enjoyment, then as you say, never actually used in the game when it was released.

NQ.

No, 16 was quite a lengthy soundtrack, no it's not the ''farkin sneaky bastard'' one but I definitely don't recognize it.

Give it a try and you'll see what I mean.

Noticed it on quite a few others as well, which I thought was quite interesting.

No not a feature sound infection as played every feature and piled 100's into this

Unused sounds are probably just left over from the development process. Perhaps a gameplay element that was originally included in the design, but then removed because they felt it didn't work well, or chipped out because it was exploitable. Could also be that a certain sample was found to be annoying during testing, and replaced on that basis. There would be no need to bother removing the redundant sample, unless space was an issue.

There are some sounds that seem to be included as part of a manufacturer's default set as well. Most noticeable on Barcrest MPU4/5 games where the first 15 or so samples are identical on every machine. Maygay also seemed to have a lot of the same samples again and again on their machines, whether used or not.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 15:17, niallquinn said:

NQ.

That particular sample is definitely used.

I think anyway 🤣