Touch-Play Front End

Reg

Good Afternoon All.

Firstly, and most importantly a warm welcome to @tspeirs to this forum, he is the author of Pinball X that I was using extensively over the Christmas period.

During this time, I reached out to Tom and asked him if he would consider doing a version for MFME.  Pinball X is hugely configurable and would be ideal in cabinets - especially those that people wished to have a lot of options available to them to include multiple emulators.

Two days ago - Tom came back to me - he was going to make this happen for us here so we could have a front end that fits multiple purposes and today we have Touch-Play available to us all.

Touch_Play.thumb.png.056bfb8b326394dd9313b63df3d42c1b.png

A picture is worth many words so here is a video just under five minutes of this running that I have on my desktop.

The key point here is the customisation that is present - this is from a basic install and then a few minutes’ work and I have cardinally not touched on everything this can do.

NOTE THERE IS NO AUDIO ON THE VIDEO - IT CORRUPTED ON THE CAPTURE SO UPLOADED IT SILENT
THERE WAS ALSO SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE CAPTURE - IT APPEARS TO BE RUNNING SLOW
THE SPEED DOES NOT REPRESENT THE ACTUALL USAGE OF BOTH TOUCH-PLAY AND MFME
WATCH THE VIDEO TO SEE THE VISUAL REPRESENTATION
THE SECOND PART WITH THE ASSET UPDATES IS IN THE LAST 30 SECONDS OF THE VIDEO

There is the option to have videos playing instead of the static picture but I have not got that configured yet.  The static pictures were very easy to grab by simply hitting S during the running of MFME.

To exit the emulator while playing you have three options.

• Q will stop any emulator running and go back to Touch-Play.
  • You can also hit ESC a couple of times to quick MFME while running.
  • You can use the default way of exiting the emulator by clicking on the cross on the top left of the screen that appears when you move over to that target area - ideal for touch screens.

The changes between the first part of the video and the second part is I used a few custom assets and changed a couple of options.

My version of MFME is setup as follows...

image.png.f3dd7a2457bb0afadb63dfe759c68975.png

My version of Touch-Play settings for MFME...

image.png.6bbcedd908e9e2295dd5c75932a7fc22.png

What Next ?

Tom said that he would add to this thread and asked if I could post one for him so this has been done.

This site is NOT the official site for this product - but it is an introduction to it.

Please pop over to the official Touch-Play site ( link below ) if you have any interest in this product.

www.touch-play.com

image.thumb.png.be3bde9cbb05a6e0c0442317b9e159c0.png

We have been troubleshooting a couple of problems here and Tom has been great in the response over the past 24 hours.

If you run into problems - please be polite and courteous at all times - people do this for the love of their skills and we have no right to demand anything.

Here is a support thread for this forum if needed.

@tspeirs thank you very much for your work on this great front end of emulation presentations of all sorts and adding in MFME.

Attached is a quick .RAR file of the modified assets I used for the second part of the video.

Reg.

Media.rar

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quick Guide to Adding Machines

This is a few steps but in practice it only takes about a minutes end to end.

Touch-Play can import games for your - I am just going the longer way around so I can ensure everything is as complete as I'd like it to be.

• Download the machine and copy it into your layouts directy that you see in the Layout Path on the Touch-Play settings - shown above.

• Click on the Game List Manager.
    001.png.f8f5fdd66e5aade7d8fa6ad407018ffa.png

• The below screen will appear.
    002.thumb.png.c8805cb3d0d72ab4fbda3a999cba0c4e.png

• Click on Add Game from the menu bar.
    003.png.0832de2b03711b61d5a53fb7e2c789b6.png

• On the empty game box that appears, click on Select.
    004.png.76b5e6fce04959b3e1d2390fe65ad7b4.png

• Choose the game you see you want to add by double clicking.
    005.png.eb2d911ab52b923adfdb4b2ce1155d0e.png

• Complete the Description and the Manufacturer fields in the game box.

• Close down the Game List Manager.

• Load Touch-Play and lauch your new game.  At the point you want a screen grab press S.

• Exit your game and all is completed within Touch-Play.
    006.thumb.png.5c55f8cd421fcf054d0f4c29c97af25c.png
  • Like 1

Hi.

Tom, here.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for the lovely introduction 

I have already covered Arcade and Pinball front ends so this front end was to tick all three off the bucket list and get something done for slots/fruits. I am British so know the difference. I spent a misspent youth in Southend-On-Sea but was a video game bloke,

The front end was partly specifically made to cover MFME as mentioned and one day maybe I will build a cabinet with touch-play in it. I already have arcade and pinball and for me this completes the set.

Note that you don't specifically need to use my site but if you need help or encounter a bug and I don't see it try posting at https://gameex.info 

You will need to go there to download touch-play anyway.

Edited by tspeirs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 1

• Reg pinned this topic

Great looking front end. From the video it looks like if you have a touch screen only you would have to scroll through loads of machines to get to one starting with say M if you had hundreds installed. Is there any way of jumping to a letter with only touch screen or can you bring up a keyboard to type a machine name in? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gary said:

Great looking front end. From the video it looks like if you have a touch screen only you would have to scroll through loads of machines to get to one starting with say M if you had hundreds installed. Is there any way of jumping to a letter with only touch screen or can you bring up a keyboard to type a machine name in? 

I chose to address this with custom filtered lists,

10 hours ago, Gary said:

Its a good point Gary. I just added paging controls in 4.55. Bottom corners.

6 hours ago, tspeirs said:

One thing I would like to suggest from the community is we get a nice collection of manufacturer logos to use in the front end. You can see above from reg how he used a Maygay logo in the front end.

A higher quality MFME logo would also be a plus.

Do bear in mind that I am running at a very high resolution on my monitor so you might need to reduce these in size.

I've been doing my logos as I go, this is what I have so far a I am using this for both MFME and MAME...

Barcrest.png.3a0127bd647907e84953af767265b3bc.png

BFM.png.76975e2ab637b14a1c8b18bedb5ca7ac.png

JPM.png.55e5050531e3c6f002c8488d62d8e8f3.png

Maygay.png.caf5445441ed609bc5fdcc0b717729cc.png

The system logos are here, note on the MFME one the original PSD is really smally and would need to be rebuilt.  I never had the original of that but the one is use was a slightly hacked version - but again - a small size.

Until I can get that sorted I done a slight mod on it to just make it larger but trying to hide the face it's not built for that resolution, I think it works out ok ...

image.thumb.png.69a62abcd878fed8480334206864cc86.png

System logos...

MFME.png.8ef767164f3da9e6c6afa25393eef795.png

MAME.png.ed76a4a6554f98ab3ae56548ee55ec2b.png

Here are the MAME ones as well so far...

Atari.png.cd8f1c4515c716eed2bbae0494b965dc.png

Capcom.png.35054f700afcb40dcb92fb629023e53b.png

Namco.png.478bae89eff056f8ffe43a5deed4295a.png

Nichibutsu.png.a9dfabb8c331ab037c97792713e57253.png

Nintendo.png.cc809b60c278c31bdc8b81c97957b8d8.png

Sega.png.493ad5044a8804c4295d0ce5e3c8dfec.png

Taito.png.6ef65d0820b8387e9479ada407fb8f68.png

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, tspeirs said:

There are lots of customization options. Take a lot.

I mean is there a way to re-position items.  Like some sort of editor?   Is there an .ini file or some kind of script for the layout?   I wanted to look at designing a really slick theme for my cab at some point.

I could possibly create some assets if you wanted to delve into that side of things with your launcher?

J   

53 minutes ago, A:E said:

I mean is there a way to re-position items.  Like some sort of editor?   Is there an .ini file or some kind of script for the layout?   I wanted to look at designing a really slick theme for my cab at some point.

I could possibly create some assets if you wanted to delve into that side of things with your launcher?

J   

It is not theme based and how it looks is vastly down to the media, such as wheel logos and videos, but like I said there are ways to customize, such as overlays and underlays. All images, videos, fonts, and sounds can be changed.

Would certainly welcome anything you can come up with.

Edited by tspeirs

On 17/08/2020 at 01:08, tspeirs said:

Its a good point Gary. I just added paging controls in 4.55. Bottom corners.

I must be going blind - could you please share where these are in the menu ?

...also would it be possible to disable a block of text ?

image.thumb.png.8140932b51405349b48f103420e3aeab.png

The game name and company is shown on the highlighted block in the middle.

I can see it already by the picture, the company name is also shown by the Company graphics and the name also shows on the scrollbar.

This is not a big deal - but my personal preference would be to hide that as the screen shot system works so well.

Cheers.

• Reg unpinned this topic