Building my first Fruit machine - New Member

craignicholls

Evening all,  

New member here,  just started building my first fruit machine, as looking to recreate my misspent youth..  

The screen I'm using is 42inch in portrait, starting think i may have gone too big..!!

Look forward to sharing my build with the wider group, go easy on me :)

Cheers - craig

• Welcome 8

Whilst only mocked up at this stage, it does feel pretty good to play, can't get me off it at the mo :) 

Will start a new topic on the build,  good idea Slasher, certainly a long way to go...currently waiting for some 5v bulbs as the 12v ones surprising still work on 5v but obviously dimmed.

re Hopper and coin mech, I am considering it.. but also want to keep it slim, perhaps even wall mounted.. so will see how i go.

Justme2019 I am also running games on this, but being portrait it is restrictive -  great for pinball though !

1 hour ago, craignicholls said:

Whilst only mocked up at this stage, it does feel pretty good to play, can't get me off it at the mo :) 

Will start a new topic on the build,  good idea Slasher, certainly a long way to go...currently waiting for some 5v bulbs as the 12v ones surprising still work on 5v but obviously dimmed.

re Hopper and coin mech, I am considering it.. but also want to keep it slim, perhaps even wall mounted.. so will see how i go.

Justme2019 I am also running games on this, but being portrait it is restrictive -  great for pinball though !

Gutted lol, never really been into pinball. Will look forward to the build.

Not really much point of a hopper is there, isn't that a bit overkill.

Nice set up Craig:)

I have a similar monitor set up on a wall mounted arm, and put my button box on top of a separate box with hoppers and mechs in it. Everything is easily moved around, and takes up very little space.

4 hours ago, justme2019 said:

Not really much point of a hopper is there, isn't that a bit overkill.

It does add a lot more realism, and makes a nice money box. It is nice to have a handful of coins and play to win something tangible.  I have 1500 MFME layouts that work great with my set up, including the Electro Mechanical slots and quiz games. Unfortunately I can not go and play a real machine, so this is the next best thing.

• Like 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

2 hours ago, Amusements said:

Nice set up Craig:)

I have a similar monitor set up on a wall mounted arm, and put my button box on top of a separate box with hoppers and mechs in it. Everything is easily moved around, and takes up very little space.

It does add a lot more realism, and makes a nice money box. It is nice to have a handful of coins and play to win something tangible.  I have 1500 MFME layouts that work great with my set up, including the Electro Mechanical slots and quiz games. Unfortunately I can not go and play a real machine, so this is the next best thing.

Can I see your set up please mate?

1 hour ago, justme2019 said:

Can I see your set up please mate?

Sure.
setup.thumb.jpg.0b19bc1b38ef9c2849495ad1ffc2409d.jpg2
2 USB cables go from the PC to the Button box, which houses the IPac and PacDrive, and a LAN cable goes into the back of the box below with the hoppers, mech and note acceptor (Hacked toy money box).
20200511_175607.thumb.jpg.689fd7f223775433bf2b912649977751.jpg

The speakers plugged in to the monitor add a bit of vibration to the whole thing when played in its static position.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 1

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

7 minutes ago, Amusements said:

Sure.
2 USB cables go from the PC to the Button box, which houses the IPac and PacDrive, and a LAN cable goes into the back of the box below with the hoppers, mech and note acceptor (Hacked toy money box).

The speakers plugged in to the monitor add a bit of vibration to the whole thing when played in its static position.

Very nice mate but you lost me at ipac and Pac drive lol, now if you would have said pacmanI may have had half a chance of understanding you 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, justme2019 said:

Very nice mate but you lost me at ipac and Pac drive lol, now if you would have said pacmanI may have had half a chance of understanding you 😂

There are dozens of threads regarding the use of IPAC and PACdrive with MFME, try using the search function

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wizard said:

There are dozens of threads regarding the use of IPAC and PACdrive with MFME, try using the search function

Genuinely it would go over my head, like a lot of the stuff I read on this site. Some people are just not technically minded, it's just how it is.

Gotta say, both machines look awesome! I have done a hyperspin, mame, console, quiz all in one type thing, using a touchscreen monitor and a cheap pre made chinese kit for the buttons and joysticks, (they light up, but that's it), but working out how to get the buttons to flash as required and coin mech and hoppers to work is like witchcraft to me too! I do love seeing people's work and aspire to something more in the future! Thanks Craig and Amusement for your inspiration....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ruffmeister said:

Awesome work buddy - you going to add a pacdrive to flash your buttons to the layouts? What buttons are they too?

Thanks Ruffmeister, hopefully it will get there, I am currently using a generic USB encoder for buttons and Pac Drive for LED's 

The buttons i have are from a Deal or no Deal machine, purchased from ebay - similar here  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fruit-Machine-Button-Set-Switches-X14-Bell-Fruit-Deal-Or-No-Deal-Birthday/373076136968?hash=item56dd121408:g:LSsAAOSwX2xe24Xs 

I have designed new labels,  using waterslide inkjet paper, essentially an easy transfer for the plastic inserts in the button, which allows light through, but have quickly realised why most use colours, as the variance from machine to machine will make if difficult to cover all basis. :)

IMG_0757.JPG

15 hours ago, Amusements said:

Sure.

Oh my Amusements, this is awesome.. now i have something tangible to aspire to - looks great, will be please if mine is 50% as good.!

9 hours ago, Vox Blackheart said:

Have a look at this guide that Reg put together. I've just ordered buttons and a PACdrive so hoping to have the buttons flashing in no time, looks pretty straight forward.

The coin mech and hoppers on the other hand looks like some kind of sorcery to me!!!

this is a great guide, i wish i had seen it before i did my initital wiring, I spent most of this evening rewiring based on this....

Such a clean approach, daisy chaining is genius, i had 18 separate wires, just for the LEDs..! :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, davep180 said:

Gotta say, both machines look awesome! I have done a hyperspin, mame, console, quiz all in one type thing, using a touchscreen monitor and a cheap pre made chinese kit for the buttons and joysticks, (they light up, but that's it), but working out how to get the buttons to flash as required and coin mech and hoppers to work is like witchcraft to me too! I do love seeing people's work and aspire to something more in the future! Thanks Craig and Amusement for your inspiration....

Thanks Dave, like you i have built a couple of Bartop arcade setups, one with Hyperspin and one with a pandora, if you have built a kit and setup Hyperspin you will have no problem with working through this, I'm 100% sure :)

On 18/06/2020 at 21:07, craignicholls said:

IMG_0756.thumb.JPG.7bde727d121c06589a87ebf00e91cb61.JPG

A little messy, but early doors :)

Nice one and looking really great, if you are going to do something you may as well go the whole hog, plenty of experienced members on here so you should have the works in no time.

Loving it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing result, Thanks for sharing.

I was planning to do a build like this, but was wondering what is a better option, Touchscreen or buttons. The nice thing about the "real fruit machine" was the ramming on the buttons to gamble your price.