MFME for New Designers

Reg

I am pleased to finally upload a guide I've been working on for a little while to try to bring layout designing to those that have never done this before.

For anyone that is slightly interested, please take a look at the download section for the PDF.

I will update this as time goes by.

Have fun and go and build those layouts... ;)

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Awesome 2

Sometimes by trial and error by playing in test mode and forcing the reels, general CANCEL + HOLD buttons then pressing start to see if a win comes in.  If not, you nudge the reel again and try the next step.

In the case of the mahine I did, we used the BACTA menu within test mode that told us.

1 hour ago, wearecity said:

Ok, it's rubbish and I could make it better and will use it to experiment with the emulator settings, but for now, I just want to show what anyone can achieve by simply following the layout guide.

MFMEGUIDE B7'S.zip

Awesome mate !   Just awesome...

...firstly and most importantly, thank you for working through the guide - this is great it really is.  This is how all designers started out with what you have now done.   This is the foundation stone of building layouts going forward.  You take what you've done, make the odd changes here and there and you are flying.

Again, @wearecity great work and thank you for being the first to rise to the challenge and do this.

Great work.

• Like 1

Thanks.

It's given me a very small idea of what goes into even creating a classic hi-tech layout. Even the amount of lamps surprised me and this is small fry compared to even some other lo-techs and halfway through naming the lamps, I was flagging a bit, thinking this is really tedious. My big problem is in life I absolutely hate doing tasks that repeat, so things like data input and filing I would find mind numbing.

Having the picture of the machine helped, to know what all the not so obvious lamp names meant. At the end I realised, that some lamps, aren't required on a classic, because things like Bell-Fruit contain several lamps and I don't like split lamps anyway, spoils a good attract sequence.

Overall I was pleased I completed it and learnt a few bits on the way.

I've attached, what I probably would consider a completed version.

Lots more to learn though, to make one from scratch and having to source pictures and reel symbols etc....I did feel a bit of a cheat in that there was a DX layout already and therefore the reel bands were complete and easy to just drop in and I also cut some of the symbols from the original as well to use them.

MFMEGUIDE B7'S v2.zip

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
52 minutes ago, OldSkoolNudgers said:

Thanks for creating and sharing this, I am really interested to learn about all of this and hopefully be able to make a game in future :)

First step start with a classic  and get Adobe photoshop  if you ever want to Do a dx (i have no clue) I'm sure people will help you with layout designing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ezgif-6-228f2c936d48.gif

21 minutes ago, infection said:

First step start with a classic  and get Adobe photoshop  if you ever want to Do a dx (i have no clue) I'm sure people will help you with layout designing 

I'm the same mate. A good idea bumping this @OldSkoolNudgers, would be a good thing for new designers who want to give it a crack especially with the current pandemic. If you are going to start creating I suggest you keep things here as you will have everything you need.

Will stop people from going bald by pulling their hair out. Anyone want to buy a toupee 😁😝

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OldSkoolNudgers said:

Thanks for creating and sharing this, I am really interested to learn about all of this and hopefully be able to make a game in future :)

Follow the guide and you'll see it is pretty simple.

There are some issues that make things more difficult.

1/ Lack of imagery

and for me the main one

2/ When a machine has rubbish test modes, making lamps and reels difficult to work out, although it's still normally possible to finish a layout. 

Other issues can be setting up a machines reels, meters, doors and security in particular, but you can seek advice or look at other machines of the same tech, to get most issues sorted.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is fantastic stuff truly amazing work thank you. Look forward to having the time to get started after all these years. Daft question (I ask a lot of those) but the ROMs are the “code” that dictate how the machine plays, and what sounds re mapped to which function…..(I think I’ve explained that right!!) .. but how do the ROMs exit the manufacturers and arrive in the FME world? I’d have thought the ROM being the “secrets” of how a machine works would be Uber-protected by the manufacturer so nobody could open it/understand it? Feel free to point me to the right place on here which explains the ROMs btw!

SM

• 2 weeks later...