Update not working

2 hours ago, fruitsnappa said:

That's the way forward. I though had to use Windows media creation tool though and repair it that way(the option to re-install without losing data and files). DISM didn't cut it for me.

Guess you also tried

Sfc /scannow

As well?

Big repairs via media creation tool can be a proper ball ache

2 minutes ago, niallquinn said:

Firewall somehow blocking it?

@Wizard At your end as it were, are the updates hosted somewhere or are they on your machine?  Just wondered if his firewall or even ISP is blocking it - like they all do for Zippyshare now.

NQ.

If he can access DIF, he can access the updates.

It's only happening on two peoples PCs, so it must be an issue with their setup somehow.

Edited by Wizard

Thanks Chris.

Got to be either some sort of weird firewall issue.  The first time it tries to update, doesn't windows firewall ask you if you want to allow it or not?

Whichever firewall you're using, I'd add a rule for mfme just in case to give it incoming and outgoing rights.  If as Chris has said you can access the forum, it won't be any special ports either, just 80 or 443 which will already be open.

Got a lovely Smoothwall box here. :)

NQ.

Just now, niallquinn said:

Thanks Chris.

Got to be either some sort of weird firewall issue.  The first time it tries to update, doesn't windows firewall ask you if you want to allow it or not?

Whichever firewall you're using, I'd add a rule for mfme just in case to give it incoming and outgoing rights.  If as Chris has said you can access the forum, it won't be any special ports either, just 80 or 443 which will already be open.

Got a lovely Smoothwall box here. :)

NQ.

Thank you, but It doesn't ask me. Do I now have to disable my firewall? 

• Like 4

Part of the SD368 Group

1 minute ago, SocialDragon368 said:

Thank you, but It doesn't ask me. Do I now have to disable my firewall? 

Like is for the bit in bold - makes things so much better - keep it up.

Assuming you have a standard Windows 10, I think it is the two pieces in the Control Panel I've marked as Purple.

image.png.f5839a150916286027e8086bfab68c9c.png

I doubt this is the problem here to be honest.  But worth a try - and REMEMBER turn it straight back on after you've tried, no matter if you have success or failure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Reg said:

Like is for the bit in bold - makes things so much better - keep it up.

Assuming you have a standard Windows 10, I think it is the two pieces in the Control Panel I've marked as Purple.

image.png.f5839a150916286027e8086bfab68c9c.png

I doubt this is the problem here to be honest.  But worth a try - and REMEMBER turn it straight back on after you've tried, no matter if you have success or failure.

Thanks, but turning off my firewall doesn't work.

• Like 3

Part of the SD368 Group

Ok - in that case - your safest bet is to wait for v20.

@Wizard will release that when he's good and ready - but there is still so much to play on the version you are on as well.

Hold tight - he's redone the installer so things should be good.

Look at this as a positive - you're back in - yours posts are much better and people are trying to help you as well.

I just urge you to wait - don't do anything that may make your setup worse and mean a rebuild and enjoy what you have and if it means anything, being part of here again.

There is no reason not to download what you want as well while you wait - and when the new emulator hits - bang - you're ready to go. :)

• Like 1

Wouldn't it make sense to simply have the latest version of MFME hosted directly on DIF, rather than rely on the updater? (The updater can still be there too, of course.)

It has always occurred to me as being a slightly worrying dependency on the updater working correctly to get the emulator to the correct version following an initial install.

Let's imagine a worst case scenario where Reg wins the lottery and buys himself a trip on Elon Musk's spacecraft thingy, but then there is an accident in space and Reg is stuck orbiting the earth forever.

Something goes wrong with DIF after Reg has got stuck in space, and an MFME fan needs to rebuild their PC. They have a backup of the V19 installer which they run to get MFME V19 on their system, but with no backend for the updater to connect to, they are unable to ever get back to the latest version.

• Haha 3

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

1 minute ago, Chopaholic said:

Let's imagine a worst case scenario where Reg wins the lottery and buys himself a trip on Elon Musk's spacecraft thingy, but then there is an accident in space and Reg is stuck orbiting the earth forever.

LOL !

It was an easy fix for me Wizard as anytime as you know when a Pc is repaired they put it back in its original mode with the rubbish on it including McAfee.

I have just started to wonder why these security programs block and/or require access from an administer for all updates except for Windows based updates.

Seems weird to me!!

@SocialDragon368, did you try what I said?

Edited by Big J

6 minutes ago, Big J said:

It was an easy fix for me Wizard as anytime as you know when a Pc is repaired they put it back in its original mode with the rubbish on it including McAfee.

I have just started to wonder why these security programs block and/or require access from an administer for all updates except for Windows based updates.

Seems weird to me!!

@SocialDragon368, did you try what I said?

No, it didn't work.

• Like 1

Part of the SD368 Group

37 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Hi socialDragon368

What internet security program are you using

Have you tried running the update file with Administrator privileges.  sometime they say that might work.

Thanks, Tried it and it didn't work. I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for V20, not long to wait now.

• Like 2

Part of the SD368 Group

Do you have any software that may be blocking the screen from showing, such as McAfee or Norton, i thought it may be thinking the update part is a trojan etc, (it isnt) but may be putting it into quarantine, i know it was already tried but curious to know why it isnt showing up as normal for you...

2 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Wouldn't it make sense to simply have the latest version of MFME hosted directly on DIF, rather than rely on the updater? (The updater can still be there too, of course.)

It has always occurred to me as being a slightly worrying dependency on the updater working correctly to get the emulator to the correct version following an initial install.

Something goes wrong with DIF after Reg has got stuck in space, and an MFME fan needs to rebuild their PC. They have a backup of the V19 installer which they run to get MFME V19 on their system, but with no backend for the updater to connect to, they are unable to ever get back to the latest version.

Fair points raised, I assumed it was due to only core files needing changed or similar

But the whole thing is so small anyway (I doff my cap to Wizard for his incredibly lean and effective coding!), I don't see any reason not to just have the latest version available to download here, rather than rely on the updater. (If there is a reason and I'm not seeing it, then someone please correct me! :) )

Fruit machine emulation content from the artist previously known as Degsy Degworth and the odd new thing here and there too - https://www.youtube.com/c/DegsyDegworth

4 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Brilliant, made me chuckle that.  Especially as I'm watching NASAs feed for the 9.23pm launch.

There's Reg, off he goes, godspeed godspeed, ah bollocks it's gone out of orbit.........that's no MFME updates for me.

:)

NQ.

The original idea was to be able to issue an update every time a bug was fixed and rather than creating a new download package and submitting it etc just provide an update.

But due to the limitations of the original Updater, this proved impossible.

WIth the new updater I can issue an update anytime without affecting the release number ( unless I have to ),, and MFME can be set to check for updates on Start Up.

I don't want to clog up the Download section with dozens of updates.

It's also just easier for me tbh and has proved useful when updating the beta version virtually every day.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 7