i want to do a dx version of Aladdins cave (pcp)

Ginge

Good afternoon everyone not sure if this is the correct place for this topic please correct me if not, As the title says I want to try and do my first DX I loved playing this machine as a kid so thought this would be a good one to try as there is only a classic version out there as far as I know. Are there any rules before I start, can I use bits of other peoples work like the classic version from @stevedude2 and actual similar cabinets that are on other layouts etc, or do you have to do everything from scratch ?

22 minutes ago, Ginge said:

Good afternoon everyone not sure if this is the correct place for this topic please correct me if not, As the title says I want to try and do my first DX I loved playing this machine as a kid so thought this would be a good one to try as there is only a classic version out there as far as I know. Are there any rules before I start, can I use bits of other peoples work like the classic version from @stevedude2 and actual similar cabinets that are on other layouts etc, or do you have to do everything from scratch ?

Fisrtly, its very good of you to ask about rules etc, and yes there are a few niceties to consider.   If you intend to use 'bits' from other layouts its polite to get permission from the original designer (whenever possible), then make a 'thank you' reference to them when it comes to making a release post.   If you use someone's classic as a starting point then you should definately thank them in your release and possibly even put their name in 'Caption' in the configuration section so it shows on the status bar.

What you should never do, and many newbies have fallen foul of this is to change other designers layouts and claim them as your own.  That is a definate NoNo!!

Lastly, at DIF you'll find that this is the place where the current DX'ers hang out and most certainly the pace to come to if you need help and assistance.  It always good to see someone wanting to try their hands at DX'ing and at first you're probably going to have some questions.  If you do, don't be afraid to ask as we're always happy to help :)

Edited by dad
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, evo1 said:

Tommy c is working on a DX of this

That's another thing.  Best to check the forum WIP threads to see if someone else is making the same layout.  Obviously this doesn't stop you attempting your own version at all but if its 'being done' you may want to consider something else. 

46 minutes ago, evo1 said:

Tommy c is working on a DX of this

thanks for the feedback  guys much appreciated here are some pics I have of aladdins cave cant remember were they came from though think it was at the mecca don't know if I have put them on here correct still learning so let me know if ok. I have one more question once the layouts are done where and how do you put on the site ?

Aladdins cave pics.zip

• Like 1

You can send Pm's as well to people you need help from off the grid and work either publicly or privately together as a team. I tagged him so he will see this straight away as with all the lovely images Geddy has put up over the coming weeks(respect to him) and everyone elses interactions it can be a needle in a haystack in unread content.

Steve is over at the Mecca too

Edited by Big J
  • Thanks 1

Not stupid at all and good you are asking😊

Yes PM is abbreviated for it and when sending one go to those three little bars in the top right corner of this webpage and select the envelope then compose. Start typing in a name where it says "To" (no need to put @ in front) then underneath you must put a subject (in your case say Dx creating), type a message below and select send. 

Hope that explains it ok and if unsure you can send me a test message to ease your mind.

@Ginge - Welcome to the site 😀

By all means use my classic layout if you fancy doing a DX.

There aren't many pics of Aladdins Cave beyond those that you posted, in fact there were practically none until 2 or 3 years ago when a machine miraculously turned up - I'd been waiting for years to see one again.  I think it was Roger off the Mecca who ended up with it, but he sold it on a bit later and I don't know who bought it.  That unit is very likely the only one left in existence.  There's a guy called Steve Lancett on the Mecca who has a Masterspy and a Bars of Gold; he's a top bloke and would probably be able to sort you some decent pics of those two games if you asked him nicely.

If memory serves I think someone (might even be Steve Lancett again) has a brand new kit for Masterspy still in the box (or at least they did a while back) and that might be a better option for decent quality images, especially reel bands than Aladdins Cave.

Either way help yourself to any of my Aladdins Cave, Masterspy and Bars of Gold layouts if you fancy having a crack - there's plenty of chaps on here who will be happy to help you along the way :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1