Best pc's for emulation .

Flimp

Hi hi , i recently picked up a z800 , its a dual cpu , x5570 zeon chips , 42 gig of ram , and 2 , 4 gig quadro cards . Friggin monster , chucked windows 10 on it , just getting to chuck some emulators at it :) . Any one else playing with an odd system ?

• Like 1
  • Shock 1

Linux , always wanted to play with Linux . I did look it up , but it looked complicated :) . Someone had chucked the z800 out !!!! , didnt run at first , took the ram out , not easy with that much , and found that one ram had blown , works like a charm now . Boredly emptied the garage and turned my bedroom (she not happy ) into batmans den . I found 5 ps2's , 3 xbox 360 , 2 ps3's , 5 wiis , and an i5 , i3 , and an ancient couple of dual cores :) , and a projector . Sometimes when im drunk enough i figure i could well make a time machine :)

13 hours ago, geordie52 said:

thats one crazy system u have rite there lol am sure it flys. linux would also fly on it . and MFME runs on it via wine

I tried to run MFME on wine ages back and it did'nt work...

could you please tell me how or point me to some information (dummies guide style would be good ) so i could run MFME on Linux... if it works good i can finally ditch windows... :)

Thanks in advance 😃

1 hour ago, MPU_FIVE said:

could you please tell me how or point me to some information (dummies guide style would be good ) so i could run MFME on Linux... if it works good i can finally ditch windows... :)

Thanks in advance 😃

yeah sure have wine installed 1st. run winecfg.. in wine under applcations change to windows 10 hit apply.. make sure to have the MFME.exe on the hdd ur installing to .. open terminal from here and run wine MFMEv19.0.exe .. if that dont work u can try using playonlinux install 64 bits and config playonlinux change windows version to windows 10 as on screen  and install...  oh 1 thing if u have nvidia remove em b4 u try to install seems like it doesnt like it i will try figure out why....

ArcoLinux_2020-05-13_12-25-56.png

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Thanks in advance 😃

heres a we video also sorry bout the quality cuz i was doing it over 2 screens could do it on 1 screen get it better let me know though enjoy

install MFME on linux.zip

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Wizard said:

That works a lot better than I thought it would. Why  did you keep having to do a DB scan on start up ?

its becuz i messed up the .desktop file if ya just do wine MFMEv19.0.exe u will get the correct file and no need to scan but i used playonlinux just to show ...also must not have nvida drivers installed or ul get this as above  image.thumb.png.b12c3f524c6269b0ea6919c55f03595f.png i will tinker with settings again am almost sure i did have this working with nvidia drivers as i have a lot of windows games here also that i can play on linux but if not just gotta uninstall to play MFME and windows games ill have to install nvidia but means no playing MFME till i work that out..image.thumb.png.155f57ef375c4aa200e1ac2555f8b757.png

Edited by geordie52
just showing wat can be done on linux !!!

happy days that you got it working ....can you also confirm if using nvidia drivers or not...am gonna redo my system here with a fresh install of deepin and then fire my att tool and get the other desktops in then ill install MFME again and do a video as a 1st setup on new system...

• Like 1

I don't think I'm using nvidia drivers. Will check but I doubt a Lenovo x240 has anything nvidia lol...

I'm running Linux mint if that helps.

It runs MUCH smoother when I'm not recording the screen. Might try something else to record, I think the one I'm using at the moment is called Kazam or something like that

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the HP Kayak series???? These were a huge workstation that used the short lived 'rambus' memory. They had a digital display on the front and only used SCSI drives too. Usually came with a 36 or 72Gb drive. Am pretty sure they ran later big cache Pentium III series with Xeon as an option. 

I did run a very early version of MFME on there during the mid 2000's. Needless to say it flied along.