Wine for Wizard

Reg

16 minutes ago, vectra666 said:

I see no donation tab on the mobile site can it be added to the portal page also what is the minimum amount to donate as it used to be a fiver and finally what ways are you able to pay it?

It's there on the mobile site - scroll down and look for the box saying Wine for Wizard.

The mimimum now is £10 and always has been for many months now - payment is via PayPal only.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reg said:

It's there on the mobile site - scroll down and look for the box saying Wine for Wizard.

The mimimum now is £10 and always has been for many months now - payment is via PayPal only.

Seen it now it'll have to wait till I get paid next week as only £8 to my name atm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, evo1 said:

Come on people dig deep in to those pockets, down the side of the sofa and show your appreciation for the best fruit emulator out there

I tried that, only to find a load of ants! I had to break in to my MFME cabinet instead:)

• Haha 2

Treat every day like your last, because one day it will be!

Fruit Machine <<<My new project! 

"Wine for Wizard - Update"

Just a note to say on behalf of this campaign things are going rather well and a many thanks for people that have dipped in so far.

It's worth noting that some people have asked not to have badges so don't assume just because there is no badge they have not supported - the badge is default unless asked for it to be removed or the smaller one.  Look at my profile for example here - I have absolutely supported but live in a world of no badges as I am just an Account Monkey !

I will not be given a raised total at any point - I just want this to be a surprise for Wizard when we hit the two month point.  It also allows me to round it up by adding whatever to a nice round figure at the end.

For anyone that has yet to support and donate Wine for Wizard, please take a look at the attached PDF.

This document was about twenty years ago.  I have updated it a little to swap names around ( IE - old users to their new user name ) but that is it.

The point I want you to do is look at all the great DX's that we have from current .FML Artists and read through and look at the first emulations that were done.  There is a section about the first memories of Fruit Machine Emulation and what people played.  Take a look at the comments by a gentlemen called Michael Lynch.  He has a picture of one of the first versions of what is now MFME, look how far it's come.

If the graphical side is not far enough - then consider the techs.  It used to be called FRUIT.EXE if I recall and it only every did two techs, you can pretty much have everything now.

Rome was not built in a day, it took many years.  MFME was not built in a day and it is still going and being built twenty years later.

For everyone that has supported the Wine for Wizard drive, thank you.

This is the first time in twenty years that we have ever done anything like this for the man that gave us everything on Fruit Machine emulation.  If you are a lurker who has some cash to spare thinking it's OKAY others will support this thank you ( AKA - Wine for Wizard ) campaign then please remember that is has been built over twenty years with zero reward and do what you would hope would be done for you if roles were reversed once you have looked at the PDF attached.

Thank you.

20 Years Ago.pdf

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1

On 25/04/2020 at 16:45, Reg said:

Just a note to say on behalf of this campaign things are going rather well and a many thanks for people that have dipped in so far.

It's worth noting that some people have asked not to have badges so don't assume just because there is no badge they have not supported - the badge is default unless asked for it to be removed or the smaller one.  Look at my profile for example here - I have absolutely supported but live in a world of no badges as I am just an Account Monkey !

I will not be given a raised total at any point - I just want this to be a surprise for Wizard when we hit the two month point.  It also allows me to round it up by adding whatever to a nice round figure at the end.

For anyone that has yet to support and donate Wine for Wizard, please take a look at the attached PDF.

This document was about twenty years ago.  I have updated it a little to swap names around ( IE - old users to their new user name ) but that is it.

The point I want you to do is look at all the great DX's that we have from current .FML Artists and read through and look at the first emulations that were done.  There is a section about the first memories of Fruit Machine Emulation and what people played.  Take a look at the comments by a gentlemen called Michael Lynch.  He has a picture of one of the first versions of what is now MFME, look how far it's come.

If the graphical side is not far enough - then consider the techs.  It used to be called FRUIT.EXE if I recall and it only every did two techs, you can pretty much have everything now.

Rome was not built in a day, it took many years.  MFME was not built in a day and it is still going and being built twenty years later.

For everyone that has supported the Wine for Wizard drive, thank you.

This is the first time in twenty years that we have ever done anything like this for the man that gave us everything on Fruit Machine emulation.  If you are a lurker who has some cash to spare thinking it's OKAY others will support this thank you ( AKA - Wine for Wizard ) campaign then please remember that is has been built over twenty years with zero reward and do what you would hope would be done for you if roles were reversed once you have looked at the PDF attached.

Thank you.

20 Years Ago.pdf 800.4 kB · 11 downloads  11

I just read all of that and it was very interesting. I wish I had read chopaholics article years ago, it may have saved me a lot of money. Was that a digital magazine or something like that? Are there any others available to read?

Thanks 

38 minutes ago, justme2019 said:

I just read all of that and it was very interesting. I wish I had read chopaholics article years ago, it may have saved me a lot of money. Was that a digital magazine or something like that? Are there any others available to read?

Thanks 

Nope - that was the only one.  MFME has stuck like no other hobby - lol !

2 minutes ago, MPU_FIVE said:

Brilliant idea, Reg...

I have just donated some wine for Wizard. Love MFME, it was the reason i bought my first PC back in 2004.

🍒🍒🍒

Awesome and thank you on behalf of the campaign. :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reg said:

Nope - that was the only one.  MFME has stuck like no other hobby - lol !

Could do with a new one entitled "MFME 20 years on" about how the scene has changed since the first version, then in another 20 years we can look back on that too.

That's if I'm still around ;) 

• Shock 1

3 minutes ago, dad said:

Could do with a new one entitled "MFME 20 years on" about how the scene has changed since the first version, then in another 20 years we can look back on that too.

I didn't even finish the first one !

15 hours ago, dad said:

Crikey, it would read like a Hammer House of Horror novel... maybe just have FME episode VII - Return of the Wizard... and go from there :)

• Haha 1

Not Retired from FME June 2022

It was 20 year ago today,

Chris Wren showed us all to play,

It's been going in and out of style,

But it guaranteed to raise a sm ile.

So let me introduce to you, the one and only Jackpoteers,

And sergeants regs's lonley darts blue band.............

NQ.

Edited by niallquinn
  • Like 1

I won't be doing these every day, but again great progress yesterday and thank you to everyone that has been part of this.

You really can see some of the involvement here when you look at threads and members who have badges and also new members that signed up and went to their pockets within the first hour.  I think that as a site and as a scene we will be really proud of ourselves for such a small community when you look at the membership verus says MAME type emulation people, we're doing good.

I've done one more drive which was this.  All members ( assuming I got the script right ) who have not been here for at least fifteen days but are at member status get this.

Hi < Member Name >,

Reg here from Desert Island Fruits ( www.desertislandfruits.com ).

Sorry for the intrusion and I hope that you are keeping well in these strange times that we work in.  You are receiving this because you are a member of Desert Island Fruits and you've not opted out of emails and not been to the site for a couple of weeks.

If you are a fan of MFME and it has given you a lot of fun over the years, can I ask you please to pop to the site and take a look at the Wine for Wizard thread ?

< Link to This Thread >

This is the one chance in twenty years to give something back to the author of MFME for all the work he has done over the years.

Thank you.

Reg.

This push here will at least allow those that have not seen this a chance to see it and consider if they would like to support.

This will stop people not knowing about it and gives everyone a fair crack at the whip to feel included if they are able to and if they choose to.

Beyond that - business as usual as we watch this site go from strength to strength.

Thank you all for your support on Wine for Wizard and also many thanks for each and everyone of you making this site what it is.

Reg.

• Like 3

My plan was to donate today but with things as they are with Vet bills, I'm now going to be skint for the next few months. 

Chris if you see this, I'm really sorry that I don't have anything spare right now to donate, as you deserve all the recognition that's been shown in this thread, but Mollys bills have to take preference. 

@Reg could you divert my last donation to this and I  will donate again to the site once I'm  sorted ?

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great idea Reg. More than happy to fire in a donation. All the guys here helped me get my cab up and running and I'll always be eternally grateful for all the work that Chris and the other main players on the scene contribute, whether it's providing the flyers or coding the machines or running the forums. You're all very much appreciated.

Thank you 🙂

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, chasnbons said:

My plan was to donate today but with things as they are with Vet bills, I'm now going to be skint for the next few months. 

Chris if you see this, I'm really sorry that I don't have anything spare right now to donate, as you deserve all the recognition that's been shown in this thread, but Mollys bills have to take preference. 

@Reg could you divert my last donation to this and I  will donate again to the site once I'm  sorted ?

Thanks 

Sorted.

This is a one off for anyone else - as I know what @chasnbons is having to keep funds available for ATM.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On future donation schemes or who is next etc, let's take a gentle pause please if there is an expectation for me to run this.  The Amot was was a little different as I was a collection point and donations continued to support the site.

The Wine for Wizard is something a little different from Amot as the site also take a hit in terms of while this is going on, nothing else is happening behind the scenes for it.  I have no problem with this and am glad to do it.  I will make up any shortfall this year out of my own pocket.

It's also more then just the usual names.  There is also the unsung heroes that I know ( as I have dumped some for ) that give layouts, buy their own roms and ask nothing back.

That being said - I also DO NOT want to create a culture of "who's turn is it next" as you will always miss somebody out.  This sounds like I am saying no, I am not.  What I am saying is there needs to be a gentle recovery and I'll say now, when this is over I will not be doing anything like this until at least 2021 again.

I also DO NOT want to create member fatigue where people are continued to be asked to show their thanks by dipping into their pockets.

Sorry - gone on a little bit - but we can only go to the members so many times.

When this is done, I need to balance the books for Desert Island Fruits and ensure that there is still enough in the pot to pay for licensing and other costs as the year goes on without even considering hosting.   That means collecting donations from June to December.

This is a decade too late and I have no problem with this - I would not have done it otherwise - but there will be no more events like this from me until 2021.

• Like 5

• Reg locked and unpinned this topic