Legacy Layouts - Updates

Geddy

Following on from a forum chat with @Wizard the other day and in the absence of being allowed to go fishing grrrrrrrrr I decided to convert as best I can all the .dat layouts into .fml.  These will NOT be updates, the layouts will be left as they were to preserve history.  So conversions NOT updates, hopefully nothing gets broken in the process.  I thought I could do the 157. res files we have but that is in limbo for the time being till the Q regarding how to do it is answered.  I'm sure I did convert a .res but can't remember which emulator it was.  Of course this is going to take a long time as I've about 4220 left to do but I'll eventually get there.  This also gives me opportunity to see if rom names are consistent and ram files have been factory reset.

If anyone has a batch converter they have been hiding all these years now is a chuffing good time to sneak it to me somehow :)

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Not Retired from FME June 2022

Hi Geddy, i made a tool a while back (will need to find it) that would open layouts and close them to save to new format that can be used to do a bulk of layouts if you want that?

edit: found it:

Edited by Ross
  • Like 7

Just a thought with the influx of new members whom this is being done for, would it be worth adding the roms to the layouts so they will work out of the box so to speak? At the moment if they download a layout they still have to find the right named roms to play the game. Us old hands would know what to do, but we would also know how to convert the old layout.

Great work in converting them though, cant be a fun task

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Agree it is  sort of sending them on a wild goose chase after donating they then have to find the roms and sometimes there can be 4 or 5 different roms.If you are new to this it can be very confusing and even off putting you never know who can be the next talented dx'er .Also why do they need to donate why can't it be the same restrictions as with regular downloads.Once hooked they will donate anyway.I took me a while to even find the legacy section a newbie has very little chance.

9 minutes ago, jabbathehut said:

Also why do they need to donate why can't it be the same restrictions as with regular downloads.Once hooked they will donate anyway.

or once hooked, they will leech then piss off. I for one am glad there are tight rules and regs in place. 

That is what makes here unique along with Dadsfme too. 

3 hours ago, Ross said:

Hi Geddy, i made a tool a while back (will need to find it) that would open layouts and close them to save to new format that can be used to do a bulk of layouts if you want that?

Yeah would love it.... would be very very handy.  Does it just load the layout or load the gam thus needing the roms?

1 hour ago, Gary said:

Just a thought with the influx of new members whom this is being done for, would it be worth adding the roms to the layouts so they will work out of the box so to speak? At the moment if they download a layout they still have to find the right named roms to play the game. Us old hands would know what to do, but we would also know how to convert the old layout.

Great work in converting them though, cant be a fun task

Talked about this and it was decided due to bandwidth, leeching feckers etc etc that the new 'help/request' section would be setup for this purpose.  Guess what?  Yeah no one has used it yet...

9 minutes ago, jabbathehut said:

Surely you can give new members a max amount of free downloads before they have to donate.It would be a shame if no one used the service which is seems to be very time consuming to set up.

I would suggest the best thing would be to allow new users say 10 downloads, so they can get emulators and a selection of games to play. If they like them and want more then they make a donation to get unlimted games. If not make them wait a week or so for more.

• Like 4

For someone not to be able to donate just under 42p a month (equating to just over £5 a year) and say they cannot afford it but have internet and a Pc, hahaha yeah right and as stated on a previous post certain members shouldn't need to donate(personal preference) as they supply all sorts of valuable input.

Fact!!

I'm not here to plug for donations to this site but from my own point of view I have lost a few hundred quid in an arcade just last year, that could pay for the running of this site just on my own lol. I am not totally bias as new members can fuck up and download the same thing multiple times not realising that it all counts to their allowance. I don't know if @Reg has mentioned to new members the fundamental common sense about downloads but they should be warned of what they are doing before they just "get on with it" as most noobs won't understand fully.

Edited by Big J
  • Like 1

Not on PC so can’t find the original post but new members get 6 downloads then it refreshes in 24 hours and they get 6 again, so in just over 24 hours they can have 12.

They are allowed 18 a month in total which is rolling so in essence they can get a good chuck of stuff.

Not sure what I can post to steer them anymore - in many cases it’s why is X, Y or Z not happening when all they need to do is search.

• Like 3

I'd just like to say some sterling work is being done here by Geddy. 

Whether the roms should have been included is a matter of opinion, pluses and minuses to it. 

But the main thing here is that a complete FME archive is available. 

A better job than any fruit machine manufacturer has done ever that's for sure. 

• Like 3

Download limits even back when I first found fme I never had a problem I basically joined the various sites
(I think fruit-emu was 5 a day, 20 a week or something like that.) they were dadsfme, fruit-emu, the Mecca, dxcellent, fruityfans (Tommy’ cs site) even sites like jackpottyforums had them and if you searched hard enough you’d find more hidden away in topics which didn’t affect your download limits 

then there’s always google, i typed in emulations and voila another few sites popped up fruit forums, mega upload sites  even the odd Netherland site had some, yes I leeched what I could , who wouldn’t it was like being a kid let loose in a sweet shop being told “help yourself”.. But.. I always returned the favour by joining in via various topics and of course eventually giving back via creating, getting on members tits at times. 

the problem here will be when the newer v20 comes out they’re be a rash of new unreleased layouts and not enough downloads to get them , in that case maybe the limits could be raised for a few weeks 

3 hours ago, vectra666 said:

the problem here will be when the newer v20 comes out they’re be a rash of new unreleased layouts and not enough downloads to get them , in that case maybe the limits could be raised for a few weeks 

Or people could be patient perhaps and not want it all now or even faster?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well into the 'B's' now and I decided a change of plan as it's easier to upload them back here.  Maybe going to do them manufacturer at a time.  On that note since it was tichy the 'Coinworld' layouts have all be checked and converted to .fml. :)

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1