Thinking about building a new cab

Luuk

Hi, my name is Luuk,

from the Netherlands and recently joined this site, that has lots of useful information. I am thinking of building my own cab. Already have a 23" touchscreen, a Core i5 pc where I will put an ssd in. I have a question though I hope someone can answer. Plz don't kill me cause I am at noob-level here ;).

- Besids the touch-function I will be using physical buttons that I am gonna hook up to an iPac. The lighting will come from a PacDrive, so the ROM is able to control the lights. How many buttons would at most be necessary?

Thanks for everyones response.

I would say if you intend to use the touch screen for the features then 8 to 10 buttons would be the amount.The cancel button 4 hold buttons ,feature exchange/collect ,transfer and start and maybe 2 small buttons for hi lo that are sometimes there thats what i would do.I made a console that i can plug into my laptop and i used all 16 that can be connected to the pacdrive but most machines don't use more than 10 or so for the whole machine.DOND are the most button heavy i have 8 on the bottom and 4 banks of 2 buttons above for the features/hi lo etc.

I think having the flashing lights definitely  adds something to the experience esp the holds that flash faster.

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

@jabbathehut tnx for the info! @Reg that one looks great! The shift-function definitely gives more options. In my mini vpin the KL25Z (Pinscape encoder) also has a shift-function. Is that an old cabinet that you customized?
I intend on building from scratch around my monitor, but it should also still have ‘enough’ toom to accomodate a sff pc, coin mech and hopper.

I noticed the pacdrive.dll in the MFME main folder. Does anyone know is if besides the pacdrive mfme also works with the Ultimarc U-HID?

Edited by Luuk
  • Like 1

The one at the back is an old Vogue cabinet that was redone.

The one that I am showing you here was the newer one - need to get back into working on it and was a Bank Raid machine customised.

Currently when I last played with it stuck with the coin mech, I'll pick it up again soon.

To be honest, I would go with the iPac controller that uses the pacdrive, it all just works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimarc-I-PAC-Keyboard-Encoder-Cable/dp/B0103KPNLC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luuk said:

Anyone have any experience installing a working pull arm on a self made cab?

Good idea. I imagine you could use an arm with springs etc to simply trigger a micro switch when it's fully pulled down and use that to drive an input on the Pac drive?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, slasher said:

Good idea. I imagine you could use an arm with springs etc to simply trigger a micro switch when it's fully pulled down and use that to drive an input on the Pac drive?

That's what I was thinking about. Something like the ones on the pics below.

There are 'pull arm kits' for sale, like this one from Suzohapp: https://eu.suzohapp.com/en/products/handle_mechanisms/12-300532

Or maybe a used slot machine part.

pull arm exterior.PNG

pull arm interior.PNG

Edited by Luuk

I'm sure ive seen those ones down at the excel at one of the game shows in London. I'm also sure storm gaming use one on one of their digital cabinets and they've got it working quite well. Basically as long as it can send a pulse signal to say it's been triggered you should in theory be able to get it wired up to a pacdrive of some sort and simply map that button/switch

• Like 1

Just bought a used Bally pull arm handle with mechanism. The idea is that pulling the handle down pushes down a microswitch which closes its contact. Then the ipac would read it as a keystroke. I will also use a regular start button, but I feel the pull handle would be a nice extra touch. 

761A7782-01E9-4CA3-AAD9-7EBB80C2291E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 21/04/2020 at 08:32, Luuk said:

I noticed the pacdrive.dll in the MFME main folder. Does anyone know is if besides the pacdrive mfme also works with the Ultimarc U-HID?

I can get it to work, but all these boards ( apart from the PACdrive ) aren't quick enough to keep up with the flashing lamps in MFME so aren't suitable tbh

The main issue is that you can't write to all output ports at the same time, so there is always lag.

The PACdrive allows you to write to all 16 outputs in one message whereas the others only allow 8 outputs, so need 12 seperate messages to update all 96 outputs ( UltimateIO )

It's a shame they behave this way as they are very good hardware wise.

Edited by Wizard

58 minutes ago, Wizard said:

I can get it to work, but all these boards ( apart from the PACdrive ) aren't quick enough to keep up with the flashing lamps in MFME so aren't suitable tbh

The main issue is that you can't write to all output ports at the same time, so there is always lag.

The PACdrive allows you to write to all 16 outputs in one message whereas the others only allow 8 outputs, so need 12 seperate messages to update all 96 outputs ( UltimateIO )

It's a shame they behave this way as they are very good hardware wise.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll go with the Pacdrive then.

• 2 weeks later...