DX'Cellent
Pook

New York New York DX - Maygay - Epoch

Crikey I'm sure remember this bastard delivering a genuinely ruthless kicking to me in a pub in Manchester, I've got it in my head 1993/94 maybe?

Did this start life as a £6 jackpot machine, or have I got it completely mixed up with something else?

Having given the layout a play just now I think it's the one I remember, and was getting slightly upsetting flashbacks.....

Either way it's a fantastic layout so many thanks for this one Pook! :) 

Don't suppose there's a flyer knocking around is there? As that'd tell us the jackpot it launched with. It looks like there's a spot for decal changes at the £7 and £8 mark on the cash trail, but that doesn't make sense as there'd be nothing to put above £6 anyway on a £6 jackpot machine. Maybe I am mistaken.

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 1

Thanks … Amazing looking as ever.

Choppers it does feel like it should have been a lower jackpot at some time and they forgot to reprogram the top feature as after a good while of kicking it around earlier only once did it give me the full £10, usually £4 or £8

Big thanks for this layout-  🤩😮😍

• Like 1

On 19/04/2020 at 18:16 Big J said: At this point I am am 200 quid in with 310 out(a bit slow as trying to cook my Pepsi Chicken)

8 hours ago, Chopaholic said:

Don't suppose there's a flyer knocking around is there? As that'd tell us the jackpot it launched with. It looks like there's a spot for decal changes at the £7 and £8 mark on the cash trail, but that doesn't make sense as there'd be nothing to put above £6 anyway on a £6 jackpot machine. Maybe I am mistaken.

Here's the flyer this was built from.

1240236309_Maygay-NewYorkNewYork2.thumb.jpg.ff4ff5ac267b21d48c055384005f1520.jpg

1210964619_Maygay-NewYorkNewYork.thumb.jpg.da3dfcc4f3b9e1e6e02cad92b5713794.jpg

As you can see there is no mention of other stake/JP.  Although from this pic it was also available on £5, the 6, 7 & 8 pound decals were replaced with one arrow.

ny2.thumb.jpg.a5658578bd39436dc08a6ee691d4ae85.jpg

ny1.thumb.jpg.cd6c7d7167b6bf8cdb480992c0234f71.jpg

Finally thanks for everyone's comments on this one, I had no idea this release would go down so well, I have no recollection of the machine, it was probably just after my gambling era. :)

Edited by Pook
  • Like 2

dxspin.gif.1990cda2521f8b579dadc6cbba572f0e.gif

Thanks Pook so it looks like it was indeed a native £10 machine then. Either I've completely mis-remembered the machine itself, or my head has scrambled the dates and I played the machine later on in Manchester when I was back there on a visit. (I moved to the IOM permanently in 1996 and the £10 jackpot was (IIRC?) a bit later than that, so there's no way I could have played this machine, on a £10 jackpot, in the pub I'm thinking of, in 1993/94, or even 1996. Then again, would 1996 have been possible for a £10 jackpot?....)

I even remember the pub, it was The Grand Central on Oxford Street in the centre of Manchester. (Which looks like it's fallen into disrepair now.)

Weird, maybe there was another machine by Maygay similar to this, or somehow I ended up back in that pub at a later date and played this machine on a £10 jackpot. I know me and Vicki did visit Manchester fairly regularly in the early years and went back over some of our old stomping grounds, so that's feasible.

Sorry this is something of a derail, but I will say I ended up playing this layout for over an hour last night and it really is emblematic of everything that went wrong with Maygay between the £6 era and the £10 era, one of those machines that's almost so bad, it's good, as it just keeps you playing in pie-eyed wonder at how awful it is.

Christ this is driving me nuts now, I remember so clearly the shit it does with the ELEVATOR squares until finally binning you off on the Stock Market Crash square right at the top, whilst refusing to land on anything you can actually collect, and I also remember losing ALL MY FUCKING MONEY on it and getting very, very annoyed.

Gahhhh!

But seriously Pook, thanks for the release, another instant Pook classic and a reminder of how powerfully evocative FME can be!

image.thumb.png.efbeccdec70ec250c3f0f07a0f505001.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jono3000 said:

wasnt there a betcom new york new york

What so you can't pay a compliment or give a thanks? You know how damn hard people work to give us these!!!

Yeah that place looks like a shit hole, no wonder you lost all your money @Chopaholic playing bandits with those little T-Rex arms :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chopaholic said:

Weird, maybe there was another machine by Maygay similar to this

On the Buses was the same as this, maybe others?

• Like 1

Yes I remember On The Buses but it definitely wasn't that, the American theme sticks in my head very clearly and it seems unlikely that Maygay made two machines that were very similar to On The Buses with American themes!

I'm leaning more towards it being New York New York in that pub on a £10 jackpot before I came over to the IOM to live permanently, or it was there when Vicki and I went back to Manchester on a visit

I found a thread over at Jackpotty where folks seem to think the £10 jackpot was introduced at some point in 1996. (Although again, I seem to recall that when I moved to the IOM in 1996, the machines here were on £8 jackpots.)

Either way, I think there's probably a video in it, and I need to get my eye back in with some FME content for the channel :) 

• Like 1

Great DX Pook thanks! I'm in the love to hate it camp. Shafted a lot by this back in the day, thats why I did the classic- to get revenge! There's been a few like that over the years (JPM Impact Fast Trak being my ultimate nemesis!!!)

Is the percentage setting on the config screen correct for this one? i.e. It's actually set to 98%?

I certainly didn't change anything when I converted over Steve's classic. Stuck in work at the mo, does it say percentage in alpha during boot?

Edited by Pook
  • Like 1

98% is a little generous lol

Just open the Service door, go into edit mode and adjust to suit.

You may want to then zero the Total In and Total Out counts as it will reset the RAM

capture.JPG

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 3

Yes I was trying to get a streak ready RAM file and then demonstrate how awful it was afterwards, for a video for the channel (to demonstrate the streak and then how shit it is when blocking), referencing back to the absolute horror show of a kicking it gave me at that pub in Manchester back in 1996.

I got it to the state where it was ready to streak (seems to be £50), but then after the streak it started going back through the block again almost immediately and I was like, 'Eh? This isn't right.....' and then I checked the config screen :D 

Anyway, I've knocked it down to a more realistic 78% and used the Clear RAM button to zero it all, but it'll take a while to get it back to a streak ready state, but needless to say at 98% even this apocalyptically awful machine isn't too bad.....

Edited by Chopaholic
  • Like 2