MFME Hopper control

No1Stoney

@Reg & @Wizard

Hi guys, can any of you point me in the direction of how to correctly set up hoppers in MFME as I can't seem to get them working as expected.

I've currently got 2 x Azkoyen hoppers (parallel) with these connections:

3x VCC - Connected to PC 12v supply
3 x 0v - Connected to PC 0v
Control - goes to pacdrive  (outputs off version) pins 15 and 16
Coin - goes to IPAC 2 (pins 1A and 2A)
Error/Empty pins not connected

In MFME I have set the pacdrive settings to:

1/15 --- Hopper 1 --- Multiplier=1 (No shortcut)
1/16 --- Hopper 2 -- Multiplier=2 (No shortcut)

Winipac settings

Pin 1A - [
Pin 2A - ]

------------------------------------------------

So I tried adders and ladders (Which emulates a 20p hopper and £1 hopper) and got a £1.40 win. It paid 3 coins from hopper 1 and didnt fire up a second hopper (I'm assuming this was £1 and 2x20p)

Austin powers (1x£1 hopper only) doesn't fire up the hoppers at all (I've tried swapping hopper 1 and 2 around, still no change)

and other machines Ive tried either pay out until hopper goes empty and doesn't stop or doesn't fire the hopper at all

I fear I'm missing something simple, if any of you could shed some light on this it will be appreciated.

@Reg I believe at some point you have shown me your set-up but I cant find that now?

Thanks!

That all seems correct. Are the hopper 0v all connected to the PC ground ? I presume the hoppers are 12v ?

If it detects no coins then make sure the MFME window has focus, after 10 seconds without a coin detected it will stop the hopper and flag it as empty. To reset that press r in the MFME window.

As the coins trigger a keypress, you can start a notepad and check that the [ and ] are being detected, but remember MFME needs focus to detect them.

I'll add some diagnostics to the Diag -> Misc window to show what is happening.

Edited by Wizard

The MPU5 two hopper issue was a bug I've just fixed, it was directing all coins to Hopper 1.

Also fixed a bug where if you declare Hopper 2 before Hopper 1 in the config, the opto shortcuts [ & } were directed to the wrong hopper.

Both fixes will be in the next update.

• Like 1

Excellent stuff wizard. Many thanks. I'm currently running v19.0 on my cab so will update it later and try again. Although not at home at the mo I do recall having hopper 2 above hopper 1 in the config so will look at that also. Yes my 0v wires are all going to the PCs 0v. 

It does make sense about having MFME in focus because I was trying the trick you mentioned about seeing if notepad picks up the key presses (which it does) and it wasnt shutting off the hopper when the correct amount had been paid. 

I'll try the stuff you've said and let you know how I get on. Cheers for that. Also wizard another bug I've noticed is on multiplayer games the topbox opens first so the pacdrive isn't getting detected on the subsequent slave units. Is that something that's fixable ?

Thanks.

25 minutes ago, No1Stoney said:

Also wizard another bug I've noticed is on multiplayer games the topbox opens first so the pacdrive isn't getting detected on the subsequent slave units. Is that something that's fixable ?

Thanks.

That is deliberate as you don't want all instances trying to access the PACdrive, it's not easy to fix elegantly as the PACDrive library is started when MFME starts, not when a game is loaded.

Another major issue would be that the Slave with the PACdrive config would always need to be in focus to receive the keypresses from the IPAC

Edited by Wizard

No problem Wizard, I had hoped I could open the slave unit first before the topbox but there is no way that I can find. Its a problem only I may be experiencing due to the way I've set up my cab, i only need the lights from the slave unit to flash, and I only open 1 slave unit at a time.

Thankfully the slave unit is always in focus when Im playing it on my cab so hoppers should work as normal here I hope

Thanks for your help again

Edited by No1Stoney

I've just had another play with some settings and machines. Couple of things I've noticed I'm not sure are bugs or bad configuration on my part but I tried scorpion 4 hot property machine and it tries to pay out and undefined amount immediately on startup when no payout is due (clearing the ram doesn't help) . Not exactly sure why this is. Also the pacdrive config doesn't appear to be saving the "multiplier" field as it's always empty when I load the config into the machine. Thanks wizard. I've only just started to implement payouts using MFME as before, I used my own code to monitor coinout on MFME and use that to payout. That proved a pain as machines that used mechanical meters take ages to count up 😔

Cheers

• 10 months later...

Only 2 hoppers. But you can set up your 2 hoppers to pay out different amounts depending on which 'tube' the machine would be paying out from in real life. Real machines don't have more than 2 hoppers except older machine which use tubes.

I just use a 10p hopper and a £1 hopper in my cab, and make my 10p hopper pay out 2x10p for 20p payout or token and 1x10p for 10p hopper machines.

ME126 is the same as most parallel mechs. manual is here: https://e-service.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/MEI-Cashflow-1xx_Designguide.pdf

Page 17

Edited by No1Stoney