Tips: Game Manager - Cabinets and Flyers

Reg

The game manager is a really powerful tool and can make your MFME layout setup looking pretty damn stunning with it's Cabinet tab...

161123_GM_001.png

...and it's Flyer tab...

161123_GM_002.png

To use it, make sure that your directory structure is setup as below where MFME runs from...

161123_GM_003.png

...once this is done in Game Manager highlight the game you want to add a picture for and on the internet find any picture you want and simply drag it on to Cabinet of Flyer panel.

Below shows this in action from a random machine on eBay that we will pretend was Spice It Up being dragged into the cabinet panel that will then automatically save the picture within Cabinets.

161123_GM_004.png

As a side note, to add pictures into the Game panel, simply press F8 when the game is live.  When running you will not see the picture as that shows a live view of the game but when the game is not live, you will see your picture.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to have a Game Manager set up properly, like Mame, but with hundreds of layouts, probably well over a thousand for some, it's a massive task for long term FME members.

There are some strange things about it too, for instance, I'm showing 2 DOND - Platinum layouts in my list, I only have one. Right clicking on one entry and choosing open folder, it opens my Fruits n Suits folder, an MPU5 machine.

I might make a start and see how I go.

The first thing I'd need to do, is to rename all the layouts without all the crud as I'd call it, deleting things such as DX, £5 80%, who it's by and for some reason, some have a dozen spaces before the name etc.... I like to just have the name of the machine shown.

I know Geddy's dat is a god send for some, but that too, adds what I call crud such as ver numbers, DX 01 etc, to a completist or those who keep several versions of layouts it's a dream no doubt, but I just like to keep 1 layout for each machine and 99.9% of the time, it will be DX's as well.

I'm not a messy bugger at least, when it comes to my FME collection, as you can see from my pictures attached.

FME.jpg

fme2.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah it's chaos, but worth it when you sort it.  My structure is basically this:

Tech / Machine

This then goes into say DX1, DX2, DX3, CL1 and CL2.

In each of these, I call the game a generic name,  say wheelofwealth_a5 for the .gam and .ram file.

This way, when you drag pictures or cabinets into the panel that will work with each one.

It is work, I've got a live directory and to be move - it's going to take a very long time. :o

• 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, Dchristo1971 said:

so how do you add an image to the Game tab reg?

Simply press f8 and it will take a screenshot of the layout you are or have loaded. That screenshot will automatically appear in the game tab. So you could take a few if you want and it will flip between them.

I tend to wait until the machine has loaded up and before the attract mode has started. But it's entirely up to the individual.

1 hour ago, wearecity said:

Simply press f8 and it will take a screenshot of the layout you are or have loaded. That screenshot will automatically appear in the game tab. So you could take a few if you want and it will flip between them.

I tend to wait until the machine has loaded up and before the attract mode has started. But it's entirely up to the individual.

Thanks for the quick response wearecity

• 1 year later...

Set out files as above, only dragged a flyer from a different folder on a different hard drive and it shows up in the manager ok. I looked in the folder/flyer where FME is set up and there's no flyer and  i deleted the flyer from my other hard drive and it still shows up. So where has FME stored the image? And whats the point of the flyers folder if that's the case.

is the flyers folder in the main FME folder a place really were i should place the flyer and drag it from there?

Plus also whats the default sounds and mask folders for?

Flyer and Cabinet images are stored in the Folders "Flyers" and "Cabinets" in the Folder where the gam db file ( gamesv19.0.0.db ) is.

When you drag/Drop in manager the file is copied over to the folder above, and stored as a jpg if that is selected in prefs.

Default sounds are where the default sound effect files are stored ( Button down, coin mech etc ).

Masks are the default lamp masks that can be used when setting up lamp masks using the right click "Default" option.

Edited by Wizard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Chris, my folder was set up as Reg show above and couldn't understand why the image/flyer wasnt going the flyers folder, but looked in the layouts folder like you said and theres now a flyers and cabinets folder. So did FME crate these folders where the database file is when i started dragging flyers across?

48 minutes ago, evo1 said:

Thank you Chris, my folder was set up as Reg show above and couldn't understand why the image/flyer wasnt going the flyers folder, but looked in the layouts folder like you said and theres now a flyers and cabinets folder. So did FME crate these folders where the database file is when i started dragging flyers across?

I thought it did but perhaps not, I can't find the folder creation in the code lol

It will pop up a message box though, if it can't find those folders when drag/dropping.

EDIT: It might cause issues with UAC if MFME tries to create those folders itself.

Edited by Wizard
  • Thanks 1