DX - New Versions for a New Emulator list of Hope...

Reg

None of us have all the time in the world, including myself here.

With the release of v19 I thought that I'd start a thread here to capture a couple of personal favs that I would love to see re-done with resources that are of todays quality ( and that's the catch ! ).

These are both layouts that @Pook once did and they are:

• Eastenders - Albert Square
  • Eastenders - Queen Vic

Do not think under any circumstances I am not delighted and happy with everything that we have - I really am, but these are just a couple of suggestions of legacy layouts that personally I would love to add to the list below.

Feel free to add to this thread and I will keep the post updated below.  This does not mean that we will ever see them redone - this is just a thread with suggestions for the great .FML Designers we have as their time is not free and it all depends on if they have the resources and want to do the machine.  It is very hard to do machines that you don't like !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Reg said:

Layout: Eastenders - Albert Square
Tech: M1AB
Original Designer: @Pook
New Layout Thread: N/A
Requested by: @Reg

Layout: Eastenders - Queen Vic
Tech: M1AB
Original Designer: @Pook
Requested by: @Reg

Have to disagree with you on Albert Square, are you forgetting @Retrofruits version, far better that my early effort and still looks great today. Conversely Queen Vic does look ropey by today's standards and I'd welcome quality art for that one

ee.jpg

Edited by Pook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DX Banner.png

If there are old layouts and someone has better resources than we have currently, could they upload them to this thread so us creators can create them. As that seams to be the major block, poor art. I’d like to see a few of my early layouts remade

barcrest double up

double 9’s

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am not really capable of doing layouts any more. The quality and standard is now well above what I can do, and having the time and patience.

Having done a few DX's myself I do fully appreciate how time consuming it is and I do appreciate the work that designers do.

Anyway my request is that I would love to see a DX of Filthy Rich Club by JPM done one day.

There exists a classic layout for JPeMu but nothing for MFME.

I have attached the existing layout, roms and flyer here.

Layout: Filthy Rich Club
Tech: IMPACT
Original Designer:  Trouty and Bugs

Filthy_Rich_(Jpm)_[C01_v1-0_1024_250jp]_[c].jpg

Filthy Rich Club (Jpm) [c] [Rom].zip Filthy Rich (Jpm) [c].zip

flyer.rar

Edited by Mort
flyer
  • Like 1

That's brilliant news TC - really looking forward to playing this again.

This machine bit me really hard during my uni days. It was located in the Snooker club on the pier at Aberystwyth.

Be great to give it a bashing after all these years !

1 hour ago, Tommy c said:

Funny you should mention this,went back to it the other day and did a little more on it,the flyer is horrid and needs loads of redrawing which iv'e nearly done,everythings in a thousand pieces atm,will get there eventually.

Untitled.png

Your desktop makes me feel uneasy.

Edited by Pook
  • Haha 2

DX Banner.png

On 07/08/2019 at 19:46, Mort said:

You got queen vic dxcellent please, the one that says dxcellent on it?.

Thanks.

Edited by Richy1976

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2019 at 19:23, Mort said:

That EastEnders by RF is one of my all time favourites. It's a pure labour of love, and is a perfect DX imo.

TommyC did the Prize edition IIRC but I don't think we ever had the red edition, maybe in table cloth style.

It was a pleasure to work on it but it took a while due to the number of seven segs. This was created in the days before the emulator had built in seven segs for anything other than MPU (only with black backgrounds!) so it took some hours to build this.

Luckily I had access to a large seven seg board which I think originally came from Monopoly green. I was able to flatbed scan this at a good resolution and fill in the segments at larger scale for shrinking down for layouts. Unfortunately once shrunk each of the segments and the decimal point needed to be cut and masked individually. I can tell you that there was a lot of time spent on that particular aspect.

For those interested in attention to detail all the house lights are also in their correct positions and if you leave the machine in attract mode you will see them turn on and off at regular intervals. It's been a while and I might be wrong but I think the bottom left house isn't lit, the manual mentions the lamp position but the real machine didn't have a lamp in this position on the loom and it isn't active on the lamp board. This wasn't the first machine I saw this on, Gladiators also had a lamp allocated for the "whistle" but again the actual physical machine had no such lamp position on the loom.

Special thanks on this layout have to go to RussDX. The day before he sold this machine I drove a 300 mile round trip with a small PC and scanner and dismantled the machine in his front hall for scanning, including all the buttons. As is often the case but particularly in those days the quality of a DX is highly dependent on the quality of the source material and we were very lucky that Russ was willing to take a chance and let me take the machine apart. Although I thanked Russ at the time on the forum release I was rushing to get it out before a summer holiday so I unfortunately missed this off of the layout notes. I will address this at a future date when I update all my previous layouts for the new emulator.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

9 minutes ago, MrPillze said:

love to read these types of story as it goes to show the passion and effort some people make to bring us these awesome layouts!.  updates to your layouts you say 😮 😮 

did any star trekkin resources ever turn up ? :P love the sounds on that one .

It was released in classic form but I never managed to obtain any access to glass resources for this IIRC.

• Thanks 1