Layout Checklist

Reg

The purpose of this site is to review layouts and help the layouts designers of the world build a better layout!

Yes this may seem a little self-righteous or be part of movement to improve layouts, but remember “Good Layouts Matter” and don’t let yours be consigned to a Recycle Bin.

Key things to consider in no particular order that keep this site up at night are as follows:

• Meters - are they fully functioning?
  • Alignment - how well are your lamps placed, where your hands shaking when you chose their positon?
  • Alphas / LED segments - can you read them?
  • Volume - Do we hear the magical sound of our virtual money vanishing?
  • Refill - Has it been refilled?
  • Eye Bleeder - Will my eyes hurt after using it?
  • Shortcuts - Do they work?
  • Reels - Do they look a mess and are they accurate?
  • DX Text - How readable is the DX text for vital items on the layout?
  • Database entry on the Game Manager.

The list can go an and it will go on - but the key thing here, is to make something that people will want to use rather then load it up, think screw it and then not download anything you make again.

This is just some of the things that will be the foundation of a layout review here.

Good luck designers!

• Reg pinned this topic
23 minutes ago, jabbathehut said:

can i add Can you read the button when magnified,never mind normally.I find a minority  of dx layouts are so unclear that even when you use the magnify function you can't make out what is written.Personally i'd rather a classic in those instances.

That is a really interesting thought here - you're obviously only as good as the base art that you've got, I'll certinally add this but with "is the text readable on DX's".  I think your point covers more than just the buttons in some cases.

Let's not forget the seven segs as said previously they should be 

Lit red/pink or whatever colour they need to be.

Unlit a much darker shade of the above colour

Background either the standard black or a shade darker then the unlit section.

I know I may sound picky and I'm not perfect, but to me this takes five mins to implement and it makes the layout far more complete and accurate.