Tips: Correct Percentage / Rom Versions

Reg

Some of you like me, maybe a little obsessed about getting the game manager 100% correct, here is a snapshot of mine.

170104_Diags_3.png

You will note that the green circle just has a - entry in it.  For this I am using the Version filed within the configuration panel to show the rom number.

Also, during play there are times as shown on the blue circle below wher the Drift is not working on some games, this is because the %'age is not shown.

170104_Diags_4.png

Thanks to a thread on another site I noticed, there is a top tip from @Wizard himself here.

If you load up the emulator and click on Diag and then select DataPak checkbox, you could see a value like below.

170104_Diags.png

The green circle is the version of the code, ideal for putting on game that you have no idea and the blue circle is the percentage that the game is running at.

Complete these as shown in the configuration screen below assuming you choose to use the version number field for the rom version, then your drift and version numbers should be correct for the layout.

170104_Diags_2.png

• Like 1

No no mate - you must update your Game Manager.

...remember, all it takes is one wrong entry and it puts all the other work to shame.

Don't let it sit on the back of your mind...

...don't think everytime you load it, you know it's wrong because you've not updated it...

...don't be the man who has an untidy game manager.

Remember OCD stands for ONLY CORRECT DETAILS.

• Like 1

The version number I would say no and hope it does not happen, there are some discrepancies that are possible.  You could have internal versions for vendor and external to what is shown.

For example, it seems that a lot of BFM games are version 571 which is the first release of a £70 stake and then 572 and 573 for later releases.

This does not work on all roms as this value is not always shown on some techs.  I see this as a great fall back to put a value in there if the layout is not released with one.

The %'age this is a really good suggestion tho IMO.

18 hours ago, Reg said:

No no mate - you must update your Game Manager.

...remember, all it takes is one wrong entry and it puts all the other work to shame.

Don't let it sit on the back of your mind...

...don't think everytime you load it, you know it's wrong because you've not updated it...

...don't be the man who has an untidy game manager.

Remember OCD stands for ONLY CORRECT DETAILS.

I expect to get a second wind, but the basics are now done and want to get some layouts working properly.

I notice you're a bit lazy in the add/edit notes section. You put BFM, S5, Multi, I put Bell Fruit Games, Scorpion 5 and 25p/50p/£1. :P

I know a lot of machines you can get to the version number, usually on s4 you open the doors and enable the refill, when it boots it will show software name 9540801 etc and then the revision, eg 1.6 etc.

It's possible to get this info on most techs, would be excellent to get these values captured, but imagine it might be a bit of work with so many variations tech wise. I guess Chris would know if it's possible and even feasible work wise.

...but we have so much amazing stuff already in mfme :)

J

• 3 weeks later...

It a rewarding experience, once you get going. I never used it really before V5, but now my MFME, opens up in the game manager.

Once you get into it, you'll find it is a never ending project, because there is so much to add and when new layouts are released, you'll be looking around for flyers and pictures, to have the ultimate game manager.

Give it a go, but if you've hundreds of layouts, be aware, it will seem like a chore first.

With the game manager able to filter, it doesn't matter, certainly at first, if you have every machine in one big folder, named mfme machines or whatever. You just point the game manager at that folder and it will find all machines. 

I'd suggest starting slowly with a tech that doesn't have many machines released for it. Filter it to just show that techs machines, then set about, loading them, renaming them and while you're at it, pressing f3 when loaded and f8 to take a screenshot.

It will then give you an idea of how, once you've done every single machine what it can look like at the most basic level. Then you set about adding extra stuff, like flyers, pictures of real machines.

Below is my WIP game manager, the other two pictures, are how I have the machines, stored in tech folders and each machine in its own folder, but that's a nice to have, but isn't necessary for the game manager to function or for you to set up your game manager, like mine in the first picture.

gm.png

FME.thumb.jpg.a1e150ef30d082c760793d810e95c743.jpg

fme2.thumb.jpg.bb370502994d2437c6461d197bb51dea.jpg

It is good to have it organised. It helped that from the very early days, I sorted things into folders. The first emulator just did MPU3/4 machines, so that was easy to do. Then when M1a/b support came, I simply created a M1a/b folder and put releases on that tech in it. Then obviously as new techs were added, I just did the same.

However, I never had the game manager set up, at all, at first I loaded it, it was a complete mess, because people name machines blah, blah, 90% 25p £15 dx res for instance. My way of getting to a machine at a minimum, file, load game, browse to tech folder such as spACE, then into the machine folder, then finally click on the game name.

Now I can scroll through and see at a glance what machine I fancy playing.

• 3 years later...